Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha, gotcha.

We’re planning another X trip soon ourselves but this will be interesting compared to some others here as we have a BTX5 pack car so range is a bit more of a concern.

So what's your current rated range on the BTX5? Can work an estimated actual range backwards from that.

We went with the "more frequent but shorter" stop methodology. Spent a bunch of time tuning and tweaking ABRP settings to enable that as effectively as I could. The only real difference, I expect, would be you'd have more time. Places where I took a 15 minute stop, you'd probably be 25.

Still totally doable, just with a little more downtime at each location.

Honestly, that was probably the most surprising part of the entire trip. How much the charging stops were a non-issue. Almost *every* gas driver asks the same questions... "How far can you go? How often do you stop? How long does it take to charge?"

If I'm being honest - stopping every 2-2 1/2 hours is perfect. Gives me time to get out, stretch my legs, de-caffeinate, re-caffeinate and get back on the road.

@dmurphy - almost did the same trip last year with our then one month and a half old, June delivery Model X. We went from NY to the Fremont Factory to do the tour and back with stops along the way. Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, Moab, UT, etc. It had less than 1,000 miles when we left. A better route planner was also our co-pilot. Zero range anxiety. Reading your post made me relieve our trip from last year. We clocked over 7,500 miles in 16 days. My daughter made some YouTube videos about it and below is the segment for Moab.(shameless plug LOL).

Thanks for sharing!

Honestly, that was probably the most surprising part of the entire trip. How much the charging stops were a non-issue. Almost *every* gas driver asks the same questions... "How far can you go? How often do you stop? How long does it take to charge?"

If I'm being honest - stopping every 2-2 1/2 hours is perfect. Gives me time to get out, stretch my legs, de-caffeinate, re-caffeinate and get back on the road.

Excellent. Taking a Tesla road trip is what it takes to truly understand the benefit of stopping every 2.5 hours. Kids love it, dogs love it, we really enjoy our road trips in the 14MS85.

We bring a frisbee and baseball gloves. Stretching the legs and family time has been the best result of buying our used Tesla. I’ve taken the family to Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Space Coast (Titusville, FL), and a ton of other places. Our MS with about 180k miles drives like new and still charges to 248 miles at 100% after lots of Supercharging on the highway and home charging daily to 80%.

DF836B80-4C58-4EAE-89A7-EE4EFE0D8359.jpeg

@dmurphy - almost did the same trip last year with our then one month and a half old, June delivery Model X. We went from NY to the Fremont Factory to do the tour and back with stops along the way. Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, Moab, UT, etc. It had less than 1,000 miles when we left. A better route planner was also our co-pilot. Zero range anxiety. Reading your post made me relieve our trip from last year. We clocked over 7,500 miles in 16 days. My daughter made some YouTube videos about it and below is the segment for Moab.(shameless plug LOL).

Thanks for sharing!

Our X is roughly the same age - we picked it up at the end of June, so really got to stretch the legs above and beyond... believe it or not, it's actually the *second* road trip for the X. My wife and son took it from NJ to Knoxville TN 4 days after pickup. So that was ~1,500ish miles right there. Now it just crossed 10,000 miles and it's not even 2 months old!

I have a feeling the extended service agreement is in my near future ;-)

Really great trip! I'm not a youtuber so didn't create any videos - have some footage but believe me, absolutely nobody wants to see or hear from me online.

Excellent. Taking a Tesla road trip is what it takes to truly understand the benefit of stopping every 2.5 hours. Kids love it, dogs love it, we really enjoy our road trips in the 14MS85.

We bring a frisbee and baseball gloves. Stretching the legs and family time has been the best result of buying our used Tesla. I’ve taken the family to Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Space Coast (Titusville, FL), and a ton of other places. Our MS with about 180k miles drives like new and still charges to 248 miles at 100% after lots of Supercharging on the highway and home charging daily to 80%.

Great ideas! We brought some camping chairs and a rollup table; had a few Supercharging picnics along the route. (And yes, breakfast for dinner rocks!)

Wish I had thought of the gloves and frisbees. Great way to pass the time by for sure!

This certainly inspired more trips in our near future. I've always been a "put me on an airplane" kinda guy... but the X changes the equation. In a big way.

We've had a Model 3 now for a year and a half and haven't really road-tripped in it... furthest I've been with it is Massachusetts. But that's going to change, now that I know how great it can be!

IMG_5990.jpg

Reactions: wreighven
Great ideas! We brought some camping chairs and a rollup table; had a few Supercharging picnics along the route. (And yes, breakfast for dinner rocks!)
This is one of the greatest parts about towing a camper with the X. Yes, we have to stop to charge more often and our stops can be longer. But we have everything we need in a self-contained package at each stop. Bathroom, kitchen, change of clothing, etc. Heck, even a bed if it comes to that. It's especially welcome in the times of COVID.

When I grow up, I want to be like @ohmman! :D

@dmurphy, ours is June 2019 delivery and our trip was last year. Regardless, we're following the same path, just a year apart. LOL I couldn't agree more with everyone on how an amazing vehicle is a Model X for a road trip. If you get a chance, I highly recommend the Fremont Factory tour, especially if you go there driving your Tesla across the country. Just schedule it ahead of time.

Seriously though, our next investment that we're saving for is an airstream like how @ohmman and others here do it. That sounds like great fun.

This is one of the greatest parts about towing a camper with the X. Yes, we have to stop to charge more often and our stops can be longer. But we have everything we need in a self-contained package at each stop. Bathroom, kitchen, change of clothing, etc. Heck, even a bed if it comes to that. It's especially welcome in the times of COVID.

We've talked - numerous times - about acquiring a camper. Problem is, I have nowhere to store it when I'm not using it. Our driveway just isn't setup for that, unfortunately.

When I grow up, I want to be like @ohmman! :D

@dmurphy, ours is June 2019 delivery and our trip was last year. Regardless, we're following the same path, just a year apart. LOL I couldn't agree more with everyone on how an amazing vehicle is a Model X for a road trip. If you get a chance, I highly recommend the Fremont Factory tour, especially if you go there driving your Tesla across the country. Just schedule it ahead of time.

Seriously though, our next investment that we're saving for is an airstream like how @ohmman and others here do it. That sounds like great fun.

Agreed, @ohmman is living my retirement dream!

I was thankfully able to do the Fremont tour last fall, when I was still traveling for work. Skipped out of Oracle Openworld a day early and headed up to Fremont for it. Then on to Napa, which means I don't remember much of Fremont... LOL!!

All seriousness though - it was really cool. I also got to be the "+1" with a friend who did the BMW factory pickup in Greenville SC. So I've seen both factories; the amount of automation Tesla employs is pretty amazing. BMW's plant is "prettier" for sure - but with 4x the workers.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
We've talked - numerous times - about acquiring a camper. Problem is, I have nowhere to store it when I'm not using it. Our driveway just isn't setup for that, unfortunately.
I'm not saying whether this is good or bad as I have no experience with it, but many (most?) people store their campers at RV storage facilities when they're not in use.

I'm eager for our new X because I have a Utah/Arizona trip planned for October with remote kid Zoom learning via tether.. that should be something..

Reactions: wreighven
I'm not saying whether this is good or bad as I have no experience with it, but many (most?) people store their campers at RV storage facilities when they're not in use.

I'm eager for our new X because I have a Utah/Arizona trip planned for October with remote kid Zoom learning via tether.. that should be something..

Not too many that are convenient here. We have a gas station that I could probably rent a spot at, but not enamored with the idea, to be sure.

For me, road tripping and working would be fine. I can work from anywhere. Even my son (middle school) could be a remote learner these days, if I so chose... it's my wife. She's also a teacher and expected to be in the classroom. At least for now, until they change their mind. :)

Not too many that are convenient here. We have a gas station that I could probably rent a spot at, but not enamored with the idea, to be sure.
:)

In the Morristown area? there has to be tons. Search for RV storage Morristown NJ. They are usually part of rental self-storage places, usually outdoor though. I was not enamored with outdoor storage, so I built a garage big enough to hold my rig.

We will be traveling through Salt Lake City around lunch time during our Christmas trip. I have never stopped at the SLC SuperCharger before but the map makes it look like a terrible meal time location!

For those of you who have been in a similar situation, I assume you grab something To Go from some restaurant and eat it while your car charges? Any recommendations for good To Go options along I-15?

TIA

We will be traveling through Salt Lake City around lunch time during our Christmas trip. I have never stopped at the SLC SuperCharger before but the map makes it look like a terrible meal time location!

For those of you who have been in a similar situation, I assume you grab something To Go from some restaurant and eat it while your car charges? Any recommendations for good To Go options along I-15?

TIA
I was just there a week or so ago. It’s definitely not a lunch location. It’s also overcrowded, so plan for a possible queue.

I usually pack a lunch or pick it up en route. Most locations near Superchargers are kind of weak anyway.

I was just there a week or so ago. It’s definitely not a lunch location. It’s also overcrowded, so plan for a possible queue.

I usually pack a lunch or pick it up en route. Most locations near Superchargers are kind of weak anyway.
In theory, I could go all the way from Price to Tremonton without stopping. In the Summer that would not worry me at all. I wonder how much of a charge I will need in Price during the winter to make that?

We will be spending the night in Green River, and we can easily leave there with 95 or even 100% charge. Depending on the temperature, getting back up to 95 or 100% at Price could take a long time.

I just wanted to quote this post @ohmman as this was the deepest inspiration for us purchasing a travel trailer. It's always been back of mind - my parents had a 1968 Norris growing up - but I've never really gotten off my duff to solve the storage problem. Took care of it, looking forward to it, and counting the minutes until it arrives. Going to be a long winter but at least I know once we get to March, I've got something great ahead of us.

Thank you for the inspiration... it really IS your fault. ;-)

It's no Airstream, but we really wanted a slide-out.