Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made it to TX from ME with 17 Supercharger stops in three days with no destination charging (because dogs). On the way south we did break it up with a couple-day visit and a couple RN’s to the nearby Supercharger but mostly 110V charging between days 2 and 3. Average Wh/mi was 462. Rear HVAC was on most of the time (because dogs). Temps were 70’s - 90’s, wind was light and either a tailwind or crosswind.
In LA and TX the ventilated seats were a nice touch but loud on setting 3 so usually ran on 2.

Longest leg was from home with 100% to Seabrook, NH at 180 mi, 85% battery. Next longest was between Meridian and Slidel was 170mi, 87% battery . The Future Hattiesburg Supercharger would mean not having to wait for charging above about 80%.

Charging would typically start at about 110kW but then quickly decline to 60’s. We tried changing chargers when we noticed the handle was very hot and that would result in higher kW but only for a few minutes and not worth the time taken to move the car. Sometimes charging would start with reduced HVAC power due to battery cooling (that fan is loud!). The rise in SOC was nearly linear to 80%, always around 300mi/hr+\-5, so I managed to get over my power anxiety.

We did not find convenient hotels along the route which both accommodate dogs and have outdoor sockets or chargers. With TeslaLog logging switched off at night there was essentially no vampire drain on 17.24.30.

Life on the Gulf Coast would be easier with a DC fast charger nearby or an overnight 220V–had to top off at a hotel Destination charger while eating a takeout lunch and otherwise stay tethered to the house 110V.

Heading back north we may have rain but that may also mean less HVAC. Replacing Chattanooga SC with nearby Cracker Barrel CHADEMO stop (because dogs).

Halfway home and I’m noticing a pattern. I planned the trip using EVTO ( since I was able to add the Bristol supercharger before it was in Tesla‘s maps and also a Cracker Barrel CHADEMO) but rely on Tesla nav while driving. The pediction for time at the next charger increase by 10 minutes as soon as the car is plugged in. With six supercharge stops each day that is another hour added to what is already a long day. Also, the arrival percent prediction is in the teens and often drops another two or three percent after getting underway. Since remote HVAC does not work under 20% that is a bit inconvenient if I want to empty my bladder before the dogs get their chance. I usually charge another 5 minutes or so after getting the “enough charge” message.

Would things be different with a 100kWh pack?

quick question?......Im heading to Quebec from San Diego for a month long road trip. I consistently refer to apps I have on my computer (EVTripping, EV Trip Planner, A Better Routeplanner ) or my Iphone which has a Teslarati. Can anyone tell me if I can load these apps onto the car computer? My laptop needs internet connection, so I can only access when Im at a hotel or hot spot, no good when driving.

quick question?......Im heading to Quebec from San Diego for a month long road trip. I consistently refer to apps I have on my computer (EVTripping, EV Trip Planner, A Better Routeplanner ) or my Iphone which has a Teslarati. Can anyone tell me if I can load these apps onto the car computer? My laptop needs internet connection, so I can only access when Im at a hotel or hot spot, no good when driving.
You can't which sucks. You can have your phone on a mount and refer to both the phone and the car. When do you leave and where are you going in Quebec?There is a Tesla Service and SC on Royalmount in Montreal next to the famous orange julep. You'll see it. Its a 50ft tall orange. Depends when you go as it is open seasonally. Have fun!

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
In my opinion, Tesla's navigation is the most accurate in predicting the arrival SOC percentage. Last weekend I took my son to his college in Ohio. My MX was 100% charged and completely loaded with luggage, boxes and 4 adults with no more room for an additional pair of socks. Tesla's navigation routed me to Dayton's supercharger (230 miles away) with 19% SOC. After 5-10 miles of driving, this percentage dropped sharply to 10% and slowly improved to 16% after 40 miles of driving and didn't budge after that. 3 hours later I arrived to Dayton with 16%:) Every other app without exception, suggested that I should charge twice.

Yes, did a big (my first...) road trip to the eclipse. Major range anxiety as this was my first big trip and we were going through some of the beaten path areas. I had several "plan B"s worked out too. I had the standard plugs, plus a Chademo plug, plus a very heavy NEMA 14-50 extension cord and a converter from NEMA 14-50 to 14-30. Knew locations of all RV park in problematic areas. Car is a 100D.

We left the San Jose area, drove to the wine country, charged at the Napa Valley SC. Then did a 1 hr destination charge at a winery. Not needed but every bit helps. Charged at Corning SC and then totally filled up at the hotel destination charger in Red Bluff. Lesson learned: SC was not needed, the destination charger worked great and would have filled me up from 0 to 100% overnight anyway. Then on to Lassen NP.

We were with a group of 9 people and 2 ICE cars. This gave me some flexibility I would not have had otherwise. As we were staying in Mineral and were passing the hotel on the way to the park, I dropped my car at the hotel and squeezed me and my wife in the other cars. Drove 4000ft up into the park, hiked and then back to Mineral. The old curmudgeon who ran the place refused (literally refused!) to help me with any charging overnight. I had called before and was expecting this. But come on...Next day back up to Lassen for another big hike to Lassen Peak and then on to Burney. Total of 7000 ft up and 4000ft down. Lesson learned: the "% charge remaining at destination" was very accurate. It did take into account the elevation gain. As others mentioned before, it was my best indication of where I could go. Very impressed.

The hotel in Burney was very helpful (as I already knew by calling them beforehand) about charging. They even let me unplug one of their dryers. BUT...unlike any other dryer I've seen, it was only a 110V circuit. So I charged at 3 miles/hour. That meant I could not get to Burney Falls and then to Lavabeds NM in north eastern California and then to the SC in Klamath Falls. So Plan B. I knew that, even without charging in Mineral and Burney, I would get to the SC in Mount Shasta. So I skipped Burney Falls, drove around to Mount Shasta, charged and drove to Lavabeds from the north. Still had to wait for the rest of the group to arrive there as they spent (too) much time at Burney Falls. Then to Crater Lake and SC in Bend. Lesson learned: if the hotel lets you use the dryer circuit, double check it's at least a NEMA 10-30! Don't assume it is.

Now the eclipse portion started. We had made reservations in John Day two years ago and the Best Western was also very helpful with charging. The town has a Tesla destination charger right next to the hotel but with the expected rush of people, I could not trust I would be able to charge. And I could get to John Day but not back and definitely not to the next planned SC at The Dalles. Driving into town, I saw that the destination charger was occupied. And I did see a third Tesla parked in town. To make a long story (a bit) shorter: Tesla owners are nice! The three of us figured out who needed what/when and everything worked out great. The eclipse was fantastic (it was my 6th and already looking at 2020 in Chili/Argentina).

Rest of the trip through the Columbia River Gorge, Portland, Mount St Helens, Willamette Valley and the Oregon and California coast back worked just as planned. SC where I needed them and one 2-day charge at 110 V in Gold Beach.

Overall lessons learned: destination chargers are great, SC work but not always as fast as expected (several at 50kW instead of 100kW), trust the car and do your homework!

Except for me and my wife, the other participants came from Belgium (my university buddies and their wives) and for some it was their first trip to the US. They all loved it. Some were into cars (usually drive BMW 5 series) and were seriously impressed by the acceleration and road handling of the car. Loved the handling in the mountains.

We went to Crater Lake in our X
IMG_20170804_203700.jpg

Here's the full story and more photos:
Traveling Oregon in a Tesla - Photo Journal (Part 2 Crater Lake)

We just did the Oklahoma City to Thibodaux, Louisiana round-trip for the third time since December. Leaving after work, we first stopped in Denton, Texas to Supercharge and hit Walmart and Freebirds (tacos). We then stopped overnight at the Longview, Texas Comfort Suites (south) off of I-20, which just got destination chargers. Word of caution on that location: the 4 Tesla chargers do not have signage. We got the last open spot, and the rest were occupied by ICE vehicles.

On the return trip in Baton Rouge, we had lunch with some old friends at Acme Oyster House while we Supercharged. Later at the Lindale, Texas Supercharger, we got our first up-close look at the Model 3, which was amazing. The Model 3 owner talked about how she recently had to rent a gas car, and realized she could never go back that. We agree whole-heartedly.

Of course Rarity (our MX) was the topic of much conversation with friends and family during the trip. I actually got a license plate frame made to answer the number one question about our SUV. The frame reads "No gas... No oil... This SUV is Full Electric!" I was going to use the Back To The Future line "This sucker's electrical", but I thought most folks wouldn't recognize it. Overall, it was a great road trip. We are loving our Model X!

Reactions: vrykolas
Just got back from a trip from Virginia to and around Florida in our 75D. On the way down, we ended up stopping about every two hours or so. I think our longest stretch was 2-1/2 hours from Georgia to Ocala. I'm pretty sure we arrived with over 20% battery. I never once felt that we weren't going to make it to the next station or that I had to cut back on the a/c or alter my driving style. It was the seven of us, and we were loaded with luggage. I'm not a technical person, so I don't have all of the percentages and such. It felt good knowing that the car would let us know when it needed charge and how long to do so. We also used Tesla's new road trip calculator. Being able to see our route beforehand with our car was nice without having to guess with other EV trip planner software. We made the drive in two days to make it easier on us; travel stops with five kids usually exceeded the recommended charging times, so we had plenty of battery! I was actually surprised at how easy such a long trip would be!

A week ago we left for a visit to family. 570 miles to South Bend, Indiana. A leisurely 11 hours, the driving and charging and lunching time passed smoothly. A few notes:

• My EZ Pass died. I blew through the PA Turnpike without paying. Their toll barriers don't have a gate, and they give zero feedback as to whether your transponder registers or not. When I got to the Ohio Turnpike, there is a gate that goes up and down. It did not go up, so I took a ticket and while my wife was driving, I called EZ Pass Maryland. They diagnosed the problem as an expired battery in my transponder, which is 13 years old. They say the batteries only last 7-10 years. Obviously, they can last a little longer. Anyway, they mailed a replacement to my house, and it was there when I returned.

• Drafting a truck makes a huge difference in energy consumption. And especially when traveling into a 20 mph headwind, which I was through most of Ohio and Indiana. I estimate a 30 – 50 Wh/mi difference.

• The Steak Escape restaurant right next to the Maumee, OH Supercharger offers a 10% discount for Teslas and makes a pretty good sandwich

• The Ohio Turnpike is overpriced.

• The Indiana Toll Road has horrible cracks from Ohio to right before South Bend.

Coming back, we stopped outside Cleveland to visit more family. A few notes:

• Unless you are in a hurry, I recommend avoiding the Toll Road and Ohio Turnpike by taking Indiaa route 190 from Bristol to the Michigan border, then jogging south to pick up US 20 to the Toledo area.

• From the Maumee supercharger, take US 20 east to Fremont, OH. Then Rt. 6 to Rt. 2 to the Cleveland area. Save over $20 in tolls and the chaos of summer vacationers and the trucks. Also, more scenic.

• Coming back home from Cleveland, we took Rt. 422 to Warren, OH, then Rt 82 over to the Hermitage, PA supercharger. Then south to pick up 422 again through Pennsylvania, to Rt 22 to I-99 and US 30 to Breezewood.

• Finally, at Breezewood on Sunday afternoon we encountered a gaggle of other Teslas. Two X's, Two S's and a 3. We'd been passed by the other Model X on I-99 S and followed them to Breezewood as a mini Tesla parade. Fun. Then we talked to them and other owners while charging. A very culty and enjoyable time.

• Energy consumption on our trip home was 313 Wh/mi vs 351 on the trip west. Winds, elevation and a slightly slower route.

Let's hear about your trip!