TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X roof panel fell off

Discussion in 'Model X' started by TravisCindy, Sep 21, 2019.

1. TravisCindy

TravisCindy Member

• Informative x 2
  2. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

3. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Those gears?

I didn't see any gears, and I don't think there are any - as I understand it, the car uses motorized struts to actuate both sections, like power hatchbacks do but with an extra section.

All I see there are four springs to counter the weight. (And an electrical connector for the overhead Ultrasonic, and a couple boxes I'm not sure what to make of (antenna?) that likely shouldn't be wet.)

But No, I haven't had that happen, and Yes, you should certainly get it to the service center soon.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

#4 aesculus, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Never saw that before. Do you have a picture of the underside of the panel? I suspect it's held on with some bolts and perhaps they forgot to put the nuts on?

5. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

yeah, sorry, I’m obviously not a mechanical engineer. “Those springy turning looking thingys that can’t be designed to get road dirt in them.” Better? ;)

• Funny x 2
  6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I think the cover/trim panel either snaps on or uses glue to fasten it. Enough force will pull it off of course. As was said the ultrasonic sensor is the only wiring there for the overhead clearance indicator.

Definitely want to get it replaced ASAP.

7. mmalia

mmalia Member

Looks like your weather seals around the top glass are degrading badly as well. Is this common?

8. jiffyrn

jiffyrn New Member

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a surprise. I thought that central glass piece was glued on.

I would be very surprised if it did not suffer some significant damage from hitting a hard road surface at highway speeds. Doubt it would be salvageable.

10. gazepdapi

gazepdapi Member

11. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

It isn't glass. I think it is just plastic.

12. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Interesting picture, and it answers a lot of questions I had about Falcon Wing doors.

Simple springs are used to counterbalance those heavy doors, making possible the use of relatively low powered motors capable of cycling them up and down. Reduces weight, power consumption, heat generation and a multitude of other issues by effective use of springs, similar to what I see on garage doors.

The more I learn about Tesla technology, the more I am impressed with how well thought out their systems are.

I used to own a Bricklin with Gull Wing doors. They used high powered hydraulics to cycle the doors. They were heavy, power hungry slow and prone to failure. Just cycling them up and down 4 times would deplete the battery. They had none of the grace of the Tesla system, and were hard to adjust.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. TravisCindy

TravisCindy Member

2016 90D

14. TravisCindy

TravisCindy Member

It’s under warranty still... but they can’t get the part or get me in for service until 10/23. Ugh!!

15. TravisCindy

TravisCindy Member

They said it’s okay to leave exposed for the next month... appt for 10/23. Holy cow.

16. kavyboy

kavyboy Active Member

At least it's not "within specifications" and not a "cosmetic issue that does not affect functionality".

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Hmm...I didn’t know that. All the other roof pieces are glass. I would be surprised if the center panel is not also glass, so that it matches and for greater durability.

18. MP3Mike

I know it isn't glass as someone who mounted their ham radio antenna through it said it wasn't. I just can't recall if he said it was metal or plastic.

Here it is:

• Informative x 1
  19. AlexP

AlexP Member

My Wife went on a 4 hour trip over the weekend. She came back home and told that the rear door did not stop and hit the garage opener. The next day she tells me that she went to the car wash and that car was leaking inside.

I go out to see what could be the issue and this is what I see:
    IMG_9720.jpeg

Has anyone had this happened?

Thanks,
    Alex

• Informative x 1
  20. MP3Mike

Yes, someone else recently reported that happening: Model X roof panel fell off

But he was told it was OK to have it off for about a month until they could get the part and get him in.

• Funny x 1