TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by bonnie, Feb 25, 2012.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I totally love this 'cooler albeit expensive' option :). Putting rails on the top so that it can accept almost any Thule or Yakima rack (allowing your own custom configuration) is brilliant. I'm having a hitch put on my Prius & ordering ... thank you for this link.

2. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

You are welcome. I have been flirting with buying one for a while. If the model x gets a hitch option, I am going to go for it.

3. bonnie

I'm assuming I can put a hitch on the Model X ... if I can't, this might not be a good idea (the Prius will be sold when I take delivery of the X). Hmmm. Opinions welcomed here (as if I need to actually solicit opinion : ).

4. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

The model s is not going to get a hitch option due to the aluminum frame (I think). I do not know if they have figured out a way around that issue with the model x yet, but at least they have a couple of years. Supposedly they are coming up with some ingenious roof rack for skis and such, but I doubt kayaks. Not having a hitch would most likely be a deal breaker for a bunch narrowing that already narrow niche given the price ...

5. bonnie

Yes, a hitch would give a swing-away rack option for bikes - much better from an aerodynamic view than on the roof. But isn't the frame the same between the Model S and Model X? Did I miss something?

6. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

What you are missing is facts that came to my attention after making that post. Sorry to cross post, but here is the short thread where I discovered that the model s will not get a hitch and that this could also carry over to the model x:

Tow hitch? Aluminum body? | Forums | Tesla Motors

7. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Not sure why aluminum would have an impact on the ability to have a towing hitch. Elon also tweeted something about towing capacity not being a problem for the X, so presumably that means a hitch since you can't really tow without one.

8. bonnie

Good point, he did.

9. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

I forgot about that. Sorry to have created any anxiety in the years of waiting for this vehicle ...

10. bonnie

Well a tweet, even if from Elon, doesn't equal a commitment from Tesla. (And he did delete that tweet the same day.) I'm going to try to find out - I'd hate to rely on a deleted tweet in making this decision. :)

11. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

No anxiety here, sorry if I gave that impression. I'm genuinely curious though how aluminum and towing are related. Some technical limitation? Actually, towing items are usually attached to the bumpers and I think those are, uh, boron steel or some such in the Model S/X?

12. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Real tow hitches are usually attached to the frame. Aluminum might pose some issues but I'm sure they can be worked around, especially for a light load type hitch that would hold a rack. I've built tow hitches for a few vehicles that were never intended for towing, it's not that difficult.

13. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Apart from the tweet, Jim Motavalli said he asked Tesla about this, and the answer was Model X will have very good towing abilities. However that is not officially announced, so until it's on the website, I guess it's subject to change.

14. bonnie

Thanks, Norbert. That sounds more hopeful than a deleted tweet. I'll use that to rationalize getting the Go trailer now :).

15. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

Tell us how it goes. Send some pics of the Go trailer with all your toys. I can see this item becoming very popular with model x owners. I wonder if we could get a group discount? You will probably be the first person on the planet to pull one behind a model x.

16. bonnie

I did talk to them about a discount (local friend is also buying) and they offered to knock $400 off on each.

17. fraccy

fraccy Member

This put me in mind of my other most treasured possession besides my Roadster, my Feathercraft kayaks. Don't even need the trailer for them just some decent boot space...

18. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

Nice. If they knocked the SylvanSport GO Adventure Accessory Package down to 7k even for each, I might be tempted :smile:

19. shaneaj

shaneaj Member

Model X ski/bike rack

I live in Lake Tahoe, and like the Model X concept (enough that I have one reserved), BUT I do have a serious concern/question. The falcon doors, while they may have a 'wow' factor for some and maybe do offer improved access to the interior, strike me as wholly impractical when it comes to making this a functional vehicle. How the heck am I supposed to carry skiis or bikes!? There doesn't appear to be any functional way to mount a rack system.

Would welcome the input of anyone from Tesla in particular... any solution forthcoming for this issue?

Thanks!
    Shane

20. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Elon indicated that a "very cool" solution was forthcoming..... Stay tuned!