Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No offense but a roof rack over the Falcon doors is peanuts to Tesla and Elon Musk. They have a full plate load of food to deal with before the peanuts. I am quite sure that this problem was solved months if not years ago. They just have not revealed it yet. That is not rocket science like SpaceX is ......

That's what I once thought regarding the auto-presenting handles

Few two doors have five people in the back plus driver and front passenger. The X is a vehicle that isn't being produced yet, by a very good NEW car company that has only designed one car through production. I am very impressed by pictures of the results of front and rear crash results with the S. They may be juggling a little bit with the falcon doors at this point if a roof rack isn't designed yet. I believe Tesla values serious critiques, especially prior to production, I know I would.

Have you ever seen a minivan before? That has one sliding door and 5 people in back. I'm not sure what your argument is. It's not like by adding an additional side door Tesla is making some new class of dangerous vehicle when minivans only have one side door.

According to the same spokesperson, "Model X will have towing capability exceeding most SUVs in its class. With all-wheel drive, incredible torque and sophisticated traction control, it will be an excellent towing machine."

Vehicle
MPG
Range
Tow Rating (LBS)
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S164227,716
Cadillac Escalade ESV144347,600
Mercedes-Benz GL63143707,500
Lexus LX 570143447,000
AUDI Q7225815,500
Acura MDX AWD214105,000
Lincoln MKT183355,000
BMW X5 xDrive50i173813,500
BMW X5 xDrive35d265823,500
Hmmm... Interesting. The price range of these vehicles varies rather widely. Some of them are Crossovers, others are full sized SUVs. I'm not sure which would actually be considered to be a competitor to the Tesla Model X, though I suppose someone who is shopping might consider them all at some point.

I listed them in descending order based upon their towing capacity. I included their fuel economy and range for the sake of comparison. At least two of them are diesel powered, though most use gasoline. None of them are hybrids.

Based on this chart, my guess is that Tesla Motors will shoot for a 6,000-7,500 LBS towing capacity with the Model X. I still believe they will need a 100+ kWh battery pack to properly compete in this segment. They will need the increased range, even when not towing anything, just to make people more comfortable with buying their Crossover.

Was just browsing Thule site for cargo box for the S and low and behold the 2015 Model X is in their database and they have options for multiple hitches with differing towing capacity and the following solution for transporting skis and bikes. Has this been around a while or is it new? Its nice Thule is for once ahead of the car being produced. Nothing in the Yakima database.
Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 5.31.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 2.31.04 PM.png

Last edited:
Any updates to this? I haven't heard anything about the fancy rack solution lately. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is a big issue for me. Hopefully some enterprising person has already started making one.

The image you quoted was fan-made, not Tesla-made. One of their product designers alluded to a "work around," which most folks took to be a hitch-based solution. I would be shocked if MX supports a roof rack. I don't have any inside info but I have followed MX closely for a long time, and I've never heard Elon, JB, Franz or anyone else say they were working on a rooftop solution. There was also some leaked info a while back (since taken down per TM request) from a third party accessory employee, all of which suggested a hitch-based rather than rooftop approach.