Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I look forward to seeing the solution... though am more interested in practical than "cool" on this particular point!
+1 shaneaj. I love Tesla for being so bold and intelligent. The rub for me with the company is this impractical almost poser like attitude that creates things like falcon wing doors. They could't reinvent the very practical sliding door with a better sliding door because then people might compare it to a minivan which isn't cool. The falcon wing door creates so many functional challenges. I pray that the same intelligence and boldness I admire about this company is up to the task when it comes production time.

Lloyd is right that there is a claim out there by people within Tesla for ski rack. I am not sure that same solution will apply to things like bikes and kayaks. If the the model x comes with a hitch which through extensive discussions and fact gathering appears it will have unlike the model s, then there are some good after market solutions. One is a hitch mounted ski and bike rack that swings out of the way for access. The other is the sylvansport trailer I have mentioned in several other threads:
SylvanSport | the GO | Lightweight Unique Camping Travel Trailer
I hope that helps.

+1 shaneaj. I love Tesla for being so bold and intelligent. The rub for me with the company is this impractical almost poser like attitude that creates things like falcon wing doors. They could't reinvent the very practical sliding door with a better sliding door because then people might compare it to a minivan which isn't cool. The falcon wing door creates so many functional challenges. I pray that the same intelligence and boldness I admire about this company is up to the task when it comes production time.
I agree that it might have been better to go with 2 traditional doors but people do seem to have a genuine fear of driving anything that is or could be perceived to be a minivan for some reason. That's why SUVs took off in the 1990s in my opinion. Most people don't need a truck but didn't want to be seen driving a minivan and needed a family car with storage.

I'm hoping Tesla can design something that lets people carry a few things like skis and maybe a bike or two. I doubt things like kayaks will fit but we'll see.

Last edited:
I agree that it might have been better to go with 2 traditional doors but people do seem to have a genuine fear of driving anything that is or could be perceived to be a minivan for some reason...

I wish Tesla could have come up with a statement like, "finally, a vehicle that makes sliding doors cool" and then did something like this:

hyundai_hexa_space.jpg

In my book, back hitches / hitch racks aren't always the best solutions. I have a dog that I usually like to load via the rear of my SUV... so having a hitch rack just gets in the way most of the time.

I have three dogs - and in the past, have used a swing away hitch rack, like this one.

Even though I have strong reason to believe there will be a roof rack option for the Model X, I'll probably just use a tow hitch rack. Better aerodynamics.

I have three dogs - and in the past, have used a swing away hitch rack, like this one.

Even though I have strong reason to believe there will be a roof rack option for the Model X, I'll probably just use a tow hitch rack. Better aerodynamics.

I've used them too... just not a fan of the extra steps involved in opening and closing, especially since my dog travels with me a lot, and is in/out frequently.

I was wondering how a ski rack effects the range of the car. Is there any info on that topic?

I'm willing to bet we'll get announcement of the rack around the X launch, and even then, Tesla won't publicly state any range hits beyond a "carrying things may reduce range based on weight and how it affects aerodynamics"-type of statement. Heck, we don't even have range effects of the 21" wheels and carbon spolier on the Model S and it's a week away!

What if they made a button or something you could pull to keep the top part of the door from folding at the top so roof racks and opening the door without removing snow is possible? I know it would be a serious amount of room needed for this maneuver but I think it's a solution to some degree

I get where this would be the simplest modification for Tesla to make, but I frequently cary several kayaks at a time and sometimes they stay on the roof for quite a while. I need to be able to step up on the car to position them and tie them down while the doors are open.

It seems that this configuration would make it diffacult to get in, or out of the vehicle, especially for tall people or while carying things.

I would prefer either rearward sliding doors, or using conventional hinges. The horizontal piece of the door could be integrated into the roof as a skylight with a frame at the outer edges.

I don't have a problem with the concept of offering the Falcon Wing Doors, but many people have needs for more flexible functionality in a vehicle so providing options is always a good policy.

Understood, I'm aware that Falcons are just rear doors. My kayak is over 12' long, and I need to be able to cary up to 6 of them at times. This requires racks that are about 54' wide.

People who buy SUVs, especially expensive ones, like to bring their toys with them.

"Options are always good."