Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understood, I'm aware that Falcons are just rear doors. My kayak is over 12' long, and I need to be able to cary up to 6 of them at times. This requires racks that are about 54' wide.

I'd seriously consider pulling a trailer for this. Besides being easier to load, the range will be much better than with a roof rack.

Is there a dog harness option in case of a depleted battery?

0.jpg

I paddle frequently on local rivers so I need to have the boat on the car, or be able to load it in a minute or two. Trailers might be OK for longer trips, but I'm so used to just loading the boats on the roof for the past 30 years or so. I prefer the travel lighter ability. Those trailers do look nice though.

I paddle frequently on local rivers so I need to have the boat on the car, or be able to load it in a minute or two. Trailers might be OK for longer trips, but I'm so used to just loading the boats on the roof for the past 30 years or so. I prefer the travel lighter ability. Those trailers do look nice though.

So leave the trailer loaded and just hook it up and go. Seems easier to me but then I don't do it everyday nor am I in the habit of doing it another way ....

I paddle locally in a National Park, the parking spaces don't allow room for trailers.

I'd have to buy a trailer, register it, pay taxes on it, find a place to keep it, deal with parking, and driving in DC traffic issues with a trailer, rather than throw it on the roof and go.

Not gonna happen.

I want a vehicle that I can put my boats on the roof rack.

I paddle locally in a National Park, the parking spaces don't allow room for trailers.

I'd have to buy a trailer, register it, pay taxes on it, find a place to keep it, deal with parking, and driving in DC traffic issues with a trailer, rather than throw it on the roof and go.

Not gonna happen.

I want a vehicle that I can put my boats on the roof rack.

Too bad for surf dog this less of a river and more of a sea kayak. I wonder if I could fit one these in the back of a model x?

Point 65°N - Kayaks from Sweden

This is more my speed

Too bad for surf dog this less of a river and more of a sea kayak. I wonder if I could fit one these in the back of a model x?

Point 65°N - Kayaks from Sweden

This is my 12' Whitewater Playboat.

I'm thinking Tesla will offer options to the Falcon Wing Doors.

If they do, I'll buy a model X, or if not, I'll buy something else.

More options will be available soon enough.

Attachments

• Rocky-001.JPG
    Rocky-001.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 841
  • O Deck-031.JPG
    O Deck-031.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 872
  • Rocky-011.JPG
    Rocky-011.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 885
This is my 12' Whitewater Playboat.

I'm thinking Tesla will offer options to the Falcon Wing Doors.

If they do, I'll buy a model X, or if not, I'll buy something else.

More options will be available soon enough.

I just read through whole thread. If you want the ability to load 6 river kayaks on your roof and a trailer will not suffice, I am pretty sure you will have to get something else. Doesn't the Model S allow a roof rack? BTW photos look awesome. What a blast. I learned to roll at 16, but have been more drawn to sea kayaking.

My preference in a vehicle is for the SUV configuration with All Wheel Drive. As much as I feel that the Model S is a groundbreaking vehicle, a sedan is not what I want.

I have owned 4 - AWD Astro Vans since 1993, I currently have a 2005.

I have had roof racks to cary my kayaks on; a Chevy Vega, a Chevy Citation, a Volvo Wagon, a Chevy Step Side Pick up, a Subaru Brat, 4 Astro Vans, 3 PT Cruisers. All of those vehicles cost $25,000 or less. If I'm going to spend upwards of $50,000 on an AWD SUV, I don't think It would be unreasonable to expect the flexibility of a roof rack. I can't believe that I would be the only one who would require one. How many AWD SUVs on the market don't offer a roof rack as an option. Doesn't SUV stand for "Sport Utility Vehicle?

I view these Tesla Forums as a way for Tesla, to obtain feedback from the public that will help them in designing their vehicles, so I'm speaking up.

I believe that there is still time for Tesla to consider my comments, as well as those of others as to what they might offer as options on the Model X.

Tesla has shown that they value feedback and the fact that this thread has been given it's own heading might mean that someone has noticed it. If anyone else feels that they would like to see the Model X include options, such as roof racks, speak up. This could be the way to get what we need.

Of course you are assuming that they don't already have plans to do so. It would be nice if they made their plans known since as you say a roof rack is something many expect on an SUV. Has anyone tried to contact Tesla directly and ask?

My preference in a vehicle is for the SUV configuration with All Wheel Drive. As much as I feel that the Model S is a groundbreaking vehicle, a sedan is not what I want.

I have owned 4 - AWD Astro Vans since 1993, I currently have a 2005.

I have had roof racks to cary my kayaks on; a Chevy Vega, a Chevy Citation, a Volvo Wagon, a Chevy Step Side Pick up, a Subaru Brat, 4 Astro Vans, 3 PT Cruisers. All of those vehicles cost $25,000 or less. If I'm going to spend upwards of $50,000 on an AWD SUV, I don't think It would be unreasonable to expect the flexibility of a roof rack. I can't believe that I would be the only one who would require one. How many AWD SUVs on the market don't offer a roof rack as an option. Doesn't SUV stand for "Sport Utility Vehicle?

I view these Tesla Forums as a way for Tesla, to obtain feedback from the public that will help them in designing their vehicles, so I'm speaking up.

I believe that there is still time for Tesla to consider my comments, as well as those of others as to what they might offer as options on the Model X.

Tesla has shown that they value feedback and the fact that this thread has been given it's own heading might mean that someone has noticed it. If anyone else feels that they would like to see the Model X include options, such as roof racks, speak up. This could be the way to get what we need.

I hear you surfdog. I wish the model X had the ability to put kayaks on a roof rack to extent that I have joked about getting the S for utility and the X for around town. Also way back on page 3 you will see my comment with photo wishing they had tried to make side sliding doors cool instead of doors that require amazing/impossible feats of engineering and design to give us the utility we want. I hope that by the end design I eat that word "impossible", but I just do not see it. The only thing I can think of for storing things the size of a kayak/s on the roof would require the rack sliding to the back instead of side of the vehicle, probably too complicated and expensive.

Hitch rack vs. Roof rack

I have had both and can't think of any thing that makes a roof mount better. thoughts?

Hitch mount rack > roof mount rack.

WAY Easier to load unload bikes
Don't have to worry about low overhangs
Less air drag noise
Better looking
You don't have mud dripping all over your car after a ride
Wife can actually use. (Try watching your wife attempt to put bike on the roof when she is 5 feet tall.)
Less bugs splattered on bikes.
Car doesn't get scratched when buddy attempts to load his bike.
The list could go on.