Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X rack.JPG

Elon's comment is fascinating. I cannot for the life of me figure out how they will solve this with the Falcon wings.
A trailer hitch based solution is certainly less than ideal.

View attachment 17797

Elon's comment is fascinating. I cannot for the life of me figure out how they will solve this with the Falcon wings.

Oh gosh, multiple solutions ... doors that hinge from the top AND the side (see pics of station wagon rear doors in this thread), doors that don't articulate in the middle when a rack is on the car and only open straight up until even with the X roof, a half rack that goes on one side of the X & that door becomes inoperable, a rack that raises as the doors raise .... the question isn't CAN they do it, it's how will they do it.

View attachment 17797

I think they'll probably come up with some way to disable one of the doors. The roof-rack goes on the driver's side of the car, and you enter and exit from the passenger side, like when minivans only had a sliding door on one side.

I think they'll probably come up with some way to disable one of the doors. The roof-rack goes on the driver's side of the car, and you enter and exit from the passenger side, like when minivans only had a sliding door on one side.

So why didn't I think of that:confused: Seems like a reasonable solution. Our first two Caravans didn't have sliding doors on both sides and that worked reasonably well.

I pulled the trigger today and put an order in for the GO camper/trailer. I can use it this summer behind my Prius & then with the X. The racks on top will allow any Thule or Yakima roof rack equipment attachments (bikes/kayaks/whathaveyou).

Congratulations. Tell us what you think when you get it. Maybe it will deserve its own blog entry ...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh gosh, multiple solutions ... doors that hinge from the top AND the side (see pics of station wagon rear doors in this thread), doors that don't articulate in the middle when a rack is on the car and only open straight up until even with the X roof, a half rack that goes on one side of the X & that door becomes inoperable, a rack that raises as the doors raise .... the question isn't CAN they do it, it's how will they do it.

Bonnie, that is such the perfect summary of this often asked question. I wish you could make it so whenever anyone asks this question, it would go straight to this post. Too bad there is not enough other info about the Model X to have a Model X FAQ.

Congratulations. Tell us what you think when you get it. Maybe it will deserve its own blog entry ...

The GO arrived early this morning! Love love LOVE it. It really is as easy to set up as the videos show. The small details show someone really thought about the design. I think my major worry was how hard it would be to take down (can I really put that whole big tent in that little pod??). Eh, it was easier to take down - less than 10 minutes for one person.

It wasn't supposed to arrive for a few more days, so the Prius won't have a hitch til tomorrow evening. It's an 840# trailer, but tongue weight is <70 lbs. Meaning, I could easily roll it to where I wanted it.

I'll order the Yakima HighRoller bike rack and BowDown kayak rack for the top. Helllooooooo, Summer!

Nice choice on the accessary racks. I like the the tray style bike holders. They keep the bike paint in good shape and avoid the whole having to put wheels on off, adjust disk breaks, etc thing. The Kayak rack seems simple enough. I do like the extender arm that allows you to put the kayak on in two easy movements instead of one back breaking show of strength/stupidity. I wonder if your toys will stay below the level of the top of the Model X when on top of the Go? Regardless, it will have less drag than if you put them on the top of the vehicle directly (if that even becomes possible). Will you put the dogs inside the Go or in the back of the Model X and Prius?

Very exciting. Please send pics of your set ups when time allows.

Trailer hitch/wiring installed today on my Jeep (decided not to torture the Prius this way) ... getting ready to take off for a long weekend with friends at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. I'm happy to report that both setup and takedown can be done by one person in under 10 minutes. It's super easy.

I'll take pics this weekend of the fully opened rig. But so far, I'm impressed with it. (Pic is in my driveway as I practiced backing it into different spots :) )

IMG_5001.JPG