Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We can’t wait to get our hands on the X to fabricate an EcoHitch for it. Tesla dealers have been suggesting the EcoHitch to Model S owners who would like to use bike racks and small cargo trays. In regards to voiding your warranty, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act installing our hitch or anyone else’s for use with a rack application should not void your warranty, as long you operate within the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer.

Does Tesla actually have hitching recommendations on the car? Just trying to clear this up. If it doesn't void the warranty then that is pretty great news. You seem better educated on the subject so I would lean on you for your input here, I was basing what I said off of vague comments from Tesla about putting a hitch on the S. I still would like something "official" from Tesla, since it would make me feel more comfortable about having it done to my vehicle (even if it is done 3rd party).

Does Tesla actually have hitching recommendations on the car? Just trying to clear this up. If it doesn't void the warranty then that is pretty great news. You seem better educated on the subject so I would lean on you for your input here, I was basing what I said off of vague comments from Tesla about putting a hitch on the S. I still would like something "official" from Tesla, since it would make me feel more comfortable about having it done to my vehicle (even if it is done 3rd party).
I installed the Ecohitch a couple of weeks ago. Though no "officially" sanctioned mod, I do have an email from a Tesla SC rep who recommended the installer for me. Regardless, I certainly do not intend to tow anything (though the recommendation in the first post is really cool). I am using it solely for my bike rack.

In this video around the 30 minute mark I think Elon talks about a "triangular" space between the open falcon doors that would allow skis and such to be carried. I don't see it.

full40.jpg

Maybe he meant partially opened doors.

@JRP3
I thought the same thing, but my interpretation was that they've changed something in newer designs that we haven't seen yet.

My interpretation was that they may have seen the roof panes don't need to open so deep towards the center, (torque, more seams, etc) made them shorter and open to > 90 degrees (say 120, 135); the outer arc of the door doesn't change that much.
And maybe has the added benefit of maybe having the opening doors require less height.

The most logical explanation is that Elon himself read my thread about my poorly/stupidly built garage with the structural beam crossing through the middle right where the doors would open, said "this won't do", grabbed a pencil (the gesture controlled CAD thingie is still too slow yet to design straight from the heart) and sketched the new configuration right there and then. Snapped a pic with his phone and emailed to the team entitled "let it be done".

I'm sure others will make up all sorts of convoluted logic to explain possible changes-- but *i know*

Merry weekend to all. I'm glad I didn't start demolition yet :)

Looking at that picture and thinking about this....

Maybe they shortened the top portion of the door, leaving a larger gap between the two top hinges. This would allow a lower opening height. Since the doors "know" when to stop, when their is no impediment the lower portion could continue to raise beyond horizontal to more of an X wing position if needed.

Allows for greater roof strength too. In the picture above its a pretty narrow piece of roof. (is this kinda what you were suggesting Echo?)

Echo Delta, interesting. Of course this means Elon would have to duck, no more standing:smile:

So Bonnie what do you think?

View attachment 42970

I think the design must be finalized by now, so everything we post is more speculation as to what the production version will look like, rather than suggestions on what they could do.

I'm good with anything. Just get an X parked in my garage, dammit!

I'm getting the feeling, from hearing Elon, that they simply don't have a solution that will make those of us looking for an actual full function SUV, happy and that's why they are not revealing what they have come up with. we may be stuck with a PHSUV as a placeholder till the market matures and someone comes out with a solid range, full function EVSUV (tow capability and full roof rack-ability). the other option is to try and squeeze SUV function out of the S by adding a roof rack (though AWD would be sorely missed) and stick with a smaller EV placeholder till the market matures. ...it's a bit frustrating.