TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by bonnie, Feb 25, 2012.

1. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

Does Tesla actually have hitching recommendations on the car? Just trying to clear this up. If it doesn't void the warranty then that is pretty great news. You seem better educated on the subject so I would lean on you for your input here, I was basing what I said off of vague comments from Tesla about putting a hitch on the S. I still would like something "official" from Tesla, since it would make me feel more comfortable about having it done to my vehicle (even if it is done 3rd party).

2. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I installed the Ecohitch a couple of weeks ago. Though no "officially" sanctioned mod, I do have an email from a Tesla SC rep who recommended the installer for me. Regardless, I certainly do not intend to tow anything (though the recommendation in the first post is really cool). I am using it solely for my bike rack.

3. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

In this video around the 30 minute mark I think Elon talks about a "triangular" space between the open falcon doors that would allow skis and such to be carried. I don't see it.

full40.jpg

Maybe he meant partially opened doors.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@JRP3
    I thought the same thing, but my interpretation was that they've changed something in newer designs that we haven't seen yet.

5. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

My interpretation was that they may have seen the roof panes don't need to open so deep towards the center, (torque, more seams, etc) made them shorter and open to > 90 degrees (say 120, 135); the outer arc of the door doesn't change that much.
    And maybe has the added benefit of maybe having the opening doors require less height.

The most logical explanation is that Elon himself read my thread about my poorly/stupidly built garage with the structural beam crossing through the middle right where the doors would open, said "this won't do", grabbed a pencil (the gesture controlled CAD thingie is still too slow yet to design straight from the heart) and sketched the new configuration right there and then. Snapped a pic with his phone and emailed to the team entitled "let it be done".

I'm sure others will make up all sorts of convoluted logic to explain possible changes-- but *i know*

Merry weekend to all. I'm glad I didn't start demolition yet :)

6. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

Looking at that picture and thinking about this....

Maybe they shortened the top portion of the door, leaving a larger gap between the two top hinges. This would allow a lower opening height. Since the doors "know" when to stop, when their is no impediment the lower portion could continue to raise beyond horizontal to more of an X wing position if needed.

Allows for greater roof strength too. In the picture above its a pretty narrow piece of roof. (is this kinda what you were suggesting Echo?)

7. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

I was thinking more like this but with the short span opening more towards the center (ie go beyond the 90 degrees). Untitled 3.png

8. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Echo Delta, interesting. Of course this means Elon would have to duck, no more standing:smile:

So Bonnie what do you think?

Elon standing in Model X.PNG

9. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Maybe they could do something like this

Model X Doors2.png

10. sjoshuaj

sjoshuaj Member

#150 sjoshuaj, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    he said in the center would be a space available for some storage in the shape of a triangle. So I'm guessing it'll look something like this.

Triangle_Roof4.png

11. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Thanks! Exactly my interpretation I couldn't edit the image as desired w Preview alone :)

12. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

While I agree it is an interesting idea you still don't get much storage. Ski's, a few javelins and other assorted skinny items but not much else.

13. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

But you can carry your javelins!

14. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

How about a rack with a mechanism like this that can lift your load above the doors when they open?

double-scissor-lift-tables-30432-2370881.jpg

15. bonnie

bonnie I play a nice person on twitter.

I think the design must be finalized by now, so everything we post is more speculation as to what the production version will look like, rather than suggestions on what they could do.

I'm good with anything. Just get an X parked in my garage, dammit!

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The video where Elon described the space was during his visit to Oslo; Norwegians don't carry anything other than skis. ;-)

17. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

I'm getting the feeling, from hearing Elon, that they simply don't have a solution that will make those of us looking for an actual full function SUV, happy and that's why they are not revealing what they have come up with. we may be stuck with a PHSUV as a placeholder till the market matures and someone comes out with a solid range, full function EVSUV (tow capability and full roof rack-ability). the other option is to try and squeeze SUV function out of the S by adding a roof rack (though AWD would be sorely missed) and stick with a smaller EV placeholder till the market matures. ...it's a bit frustrating.

18. TD1

TD1 Member

19. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

Slick work!

20. scoosba

scoosba Member

I ski about 3 times a week. You ski and have an X simply use a hitch mount system. Softride, Inc. || Hitch mounted bike rack || Ski-Snowboard Rack
    If you must have something on the roof ie kayak or extra storage simply leave one of the falcon wings closed. The other door is still huge and egress would be easier than minivans of the 80 and 90s that only had one sliding door.