Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never owned either but I can imagine not having to worry about a trailer behind you when you back up is one positive for the roof rack.

I think he's talking about a rack that fits on the hitch, not a trailer.

The only downside (and I think it's small, but others could disagree) is that if you need to access the back of the vehicle a lot, it's an extra step to swing it away.

In the Prius groups virtually everyone either uses a hitch rack or pulls a trailer. A few have purchased roof racks but they almost always install a hitch mounted rack way after a couple of uses. There are two basic reasons:

1. Roof racks kill mpg/range. It's psychologically hard to see your mpg go from 60 to 45.

2. It's all too easy to pull under something low with a roof rack--oops.

In the Prius groups virtually everyone either uses a hitch rack or pulls a trailer. A few have purchased roof racks but they almost always install a hitch mounted rack way after a couple of uses. There are two basic reasons:

1. Roof racks kill mpg/range. It's psychologically hard to see your mpg go from 60 to 45.

2. It's all too easy to pull under something low with a roof rack--oops.

Two of my friends have caused significant damage to their cars, bike, and house pulling into their garage. Doh!

The swing arm on hitch mount racks are pretty easy to use but truth fully the only time you even use that feature is when you are trying to get into the back when the bikes are on the rack which is pretty rare. If I pick up an X I will use the frunk for all of my dirty stuff and hopefully the inside will be free of all my muddy, dusty, wet, outdoor gear. In fact if I could get a rubber lined frunk I would jump for that.

I have had both and can't think of any thing that makes a roof mount better. thoughts?

Hitch mount rack > roof mount rack.

WAY Easier to load unload bikes
Don't have to worry about low overhangs
Less air drag noise
Better looking
You don't have mud dripping all over your car after a ride
Wife can actually use. (Try watching your wife attempt to put bike on the roof when she is 5 feet tall.)
Less bugs splattered on bikes.
Car doesn't get scratched when buddy attempts to load his bike.
The list could go on.

I have a roof rack on my GTI. Here are a few reasons I prefer the roof rack.
  • Can fit 5 bicycles, and 4 front wheels. Bikes are ridgidly (fork mount) mounted so they don't sway and hit each other.
  • Much harder for people to steal bicycles.
  • If I get rear ended I don't lose my multi thousand dollar bicycles. Insurance claims on a $5000 bicycle are really really hard to negotiate unless you have an agent that also has mulit thousand dollar bicycles.
  • I can open my hatch at all times easily!
  • I can put a full sized couch on my roof and drive it 3 miles to my new apartment.
  • I can stack a stupid amount of plywood and lumber to my rack
  • I can stack a stupid amount of IKEA furnature to my rack.
  • I can stack a queen mattress and boxspring to my rack.
  • My faring on the front of my rack allows more real estate for bumper stickers.
  • My roof rack does not block any bumper stickers.
  • I don't have to have a hitch on my car. (even though I have thought about getting a trailer numerous times, I just end up putting stupid large things on my roof!)

I have a roof rack on my GTI. Here are a few reasons I prefer the roof rack.
  • Can fit 5 bicycles, and 4 front wheels. Bikes are ridgidly (fork mount) mounted so they don't sway and hit each other.
  • Much harder for people to steal bicycles.
  • If I get rear ended I don't lose my multi thousand dollar bicycles. Insurance claims on a $5000 bicycle are really really hard to negotiate unless you have an agent that also has mulit thousand dollar bicycles.
  • I can open my hatch at all times easily!
  • I can put a full sized couch on my roof and drive it 3 miles to my new apartment.
  • I can stack a stupid amount of plywood and lumber to my rack
  • I can stack a stupid amount of IKEA furnature to my rack.
  • I can stack a queen mattress and boxspring to my rack.
  • My faring on the front of my rack allows more real estate for bumper stickers.
  • My roof rack does not block any bumper stickers.
  • I don't have to have a hitch on my car. (even though I have thought about getting a trailer numerous times, I just end up putting stupid large things on my roof!)

That 's funny dude. You're right on for sticker real estate. You must have some hippy blood in you. I have a hard time imagining myself driving the interstate with a mattress strapped to the top of my X. Yeah my buddy had some interesting conversations with his agent when he parked his bikes into the side of his house. Another friend has a 6 bike hitch mount. Have you ever thrown a lawn mower on your roof? Just curious :) I had to stick one in my trunk when I was in junior high for my lawn care business. The day I got truck was glorious!

That 's funny dude. You're right on for sticker real estate. You must have some hippy blood in you.

This is a true statement!

I have a hard time imagining myself driving the interstate with a mattress strapped to the top of my X. Yeah my buddy had some interesting conversations with his agent when he parked his bikes into the side of his house. Another friend has a 6 bike hitch mount.

When I got homeowners insurance I mentioned my ~$20,000 worth of bicycles. After she talked with someone in the office who rode bicycles it was no problem.

Have you ever thrown a lawn mower on your roof? Just curious :) I had to stick one in my trunk when I was in junior high for my lawn care business. The day I got truck was glorious!

I really wanted to. But it was heavy, and not big enough to easily set up on top of my car. So I cleared out the back and put it in there. On top of some cardboard slip sheets.

I drive an Astrovan. The roof is much higher than the Model X.

I used to put my kayaks and my bikes on the roof, but after knocking the bikes into trees, houses, and other low hanging objects, I started using a hitch mounted bike rack.

It is much easier to load the bikes, but really interferes with acces to the rear of the vehicle for loading and unloading things, even when it is tilted back away from the doors.

I only mount the rack when I need to haul bikes. It's just too much in the way for everyday use, so when I want to haul bikes, I have to go through the extra steps of attatching the rack first.

I still load the kayaks on the roof, so when I haul both bikes and kayaks, I have ample room for both. I use the kayaks very frequently, and sometimes leave them on the roof for several days.

Lower gas mileage is not enough of a concern to make me want to not have roof racks, since I use them all the time.

I also use the racks to load canoes, lumber, furniture, and anything light enough to lift over my head.

I use my vehicles to haul many things. I would want to use the Model X to do this as well.

I don't want to haul a trailer around and have another item to maintain, and have to find a place to store it.

On the rare occasion that I need to haul heavy items like a load of firewood, U-Haul is a mile away, I just rent a trailer for the day.

If I buy a Model X, it will have to have a Roof Rack permanently mounted, and sturdy enough to cary a several large kayaks long distances at highway speeds.
Green 1999 Astro (44).JPG

View attachment 8193

Is this your car?

:biggrin:

No but this is with Ikea furniture on top:
20111209106.jpg

Granted this isn't a stupid amount, but damn Besta crap is heavy. This is the only Ikea photo I have of my car on my phone. This was a follow up run because they ran out of 2 Besta units and I had to pick them up 2 weeks later. My first load was about 3 times as tall. I have also put plastic Ikea chairs, and once a couch (but not in the garage) on top of my rack.

I just can't find Ikea boxes as big as the ones on the Beetle.

Utility=trailer hitch...at least for me

I need it for my platform bike rack. But that is just me. I would love for it to have enough power and range to tow my race car to events but I am not hingeing my decision on it.

I am getting oh so very tempted to start another dreaded poll. Model X hitch plus cool up top ski rack vs. lose the falcon wing doors and give me full roof rack. Hmm ... I wonder which side Surf Dog would fall :biggrin:

I wonder if anything like half a rack would be an in between compromise. i.e a full frame that allows both falcon doors to open, and a sensor/software combination that blocks the side that has the payload on top.
A lot of SUVs I see have those 'Thule' sarcophagus or snowboards+skis on one side or the other of the car really. Not sure about kayaks.

Any word on the "solution" that tesla has for the falcon-door/roofrack issue?

I asked my wife last night what she would choose (as i dig the falcon-doors) but her being an avid kayaker, skier, and planning our kids being the same..... she simply stated normal doors. So I am really hoping for a cool fix. I imagine if they do not think of anything there will be a normal door option.