Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Window Bubbles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the X 3 months ago. And today I notice couple of bubbles INSIDE the roof glass (see enclosed pictures). I called the Tesla service and was advised it happened to other X owners already and local service offered to replace the roof top window... What is wrong with Tesla quality control??

Attachments

• 20160706_175827.jpg
    20160706_175827.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 20160706_175851.jpg
    20160706_175851.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 228
These bubbles weren't there before, just appeared last week. Anyone would have noticed such obvious bubbles.
You said you got your X 3 months ago. Up until last week the "bubbles" were not there. They "just appeared last week". But you are complaining "What is wrong with Tesla quality control?". That is irrational.

One other TMC member, @modelx007, reported a similar issue in this thread but I am not aware of other reports on TMC. Thousands of X's have been delivered. Obviously this is a rare issue or it is going unnoticed because it is so hard to see.

@Kutu, when people make irrational posts that needs to be pointed out so that a reasonable discussion can take place. Ignoring obvious contradictions and false statements serves no one well.

My feeling is that most of us owners are fully aware of expectations with a first year rollout on an amazing car. Most follow this forum and can not be shocked with falcon door issues with bugs, wind noise etc. I have all these issues and will patiently wait for my next appointment for the service center to address them. If anyone thought by spending 100k+ would mean getting a perfect running model X, you made the wrong decision with expectations in my opinion. Now of issues can't eventually get fixed, then my opinion is you have the right to ask for accountability...so for quality control positions, you may want to wait 2 years as any other mfr. has similar "quality" issues with first year roll outs.

On this issue I think @micqing is right to question TM's QC process. The bubbles or cracks in glass have nothing to do with first edition of a vehicle it's just poor parts quality. Windshield on X is different deal but window glasses shouldn't have these kind of defects.
And please don't rough up new members.

How so??? The issue came up 3 months after delivery... Just how is that a QC issue???

Jeff

I beg to differ with @JohnSnowNW . Tesla is fully responsible to the purchaser of the entirety of the car that they deliver to us. That's kinda why they warranty the car to be absent any defects when delivered. Any defective part is a defective Tesla part. It is up to Tesla to beat up their suppliers, not us. We look to TM as the one to right a problem with the car they sold to us. Bad glass is bad Tesla glass. Bad battery, AP, seat, door latch is bad Tesla battery, bad Tesla software, bad Tesla door latch, etc. It's called corporate responsibility, not passing the buck. Don't let them pass the buck and don't expect a car purchaser to have to track down the sub contractor or sub-manufacturer. Likewise, blaming TM for quality control is appropriate, as long as problem did not just appear now, but was presumably present at delivery and Fremont assembly line. I don't think glass develops bubbles. They were always there.

I beg to differ with @JohnSnowNW . Tesla is fully responsible to the purchaser of the entirety of the car that they deliver to us. That's kinda why they warranty the car to be absent any defects when delivered. Any defective part is a defective Tesla part. It is up to Tesla to beat up their suppliers, not us. We look to TM as the one to right a problem with the car they sold to us. Bad glass is bad Tesla glass. Bad battery, AP, seat, door latch is bad Tesla battery, bad Tesla software, bad Tesla door latch, etc. It's called corporate responsibility, not passing the buck. Don't let them pass the buck and don't expect a car purchaser to have to track down the sub contractor or sub-manufacturer. Likewise, blaming TM for quality control is appropriate, as long as problem did not just appear now, but was presumably present at delivery and Fremont assembly line. I don't think glass develops bubbles. They were always there.

Again, being responsible for defects and it being a "Tesla QC" issue is not the same thing. I have no disagreement with Tesla's responsibility to uphold their warranty...

Your assertion that the bubbles were always there is entirely speculative. While glass may not develop bubbles, the process of laminating glass, or rather because of a defect during the process, could certainly do so.

Last edited: