TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Roof Window Bubbles

Discussion in 'Model X' started by micqing, Jul 8, 2016.

1. micqing

micqing Member

Got the X 3 months ago. And today I notice couple of bubbles INSIDE the roof glass (see enclosed pictures). I called the Tesla service and was advised it happened to other X owners already and local service offered to replace the roof top window... What is wrong with Tesla quality control??

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
    • Dislike x 1
  2. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

By your own admission it took you 3 months to spot this and you only had one car to look at. How many months should they examine cars to find a blemish. They did not argue and replaced it. What's the issue? Get a life

• Like x 4
    • Dislike x 3
  3. micqing

micqing Member

These bubbles weren't there before, just appeared last week. Anyone would have noticed such obvious bubbles.

4. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

So they appeard a week ago but factory should find them 3 months ago?

I see..

• Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

Definitely time to sell the car. Owner's expectations are not in line with those of a first-run model of a cutting edge machine. Might I suggest a Toyota Camry?

• Like x 1
  6. modelx007

modelx007 Member

Yes I noticed them on delivery on the passenger top falcon door. The replacement part has been on order for over 6 weeks now!

• Informative x 2
  7. Kutu

Kutu Member

People, please ease up on Micquig. He apparently came here to contribute to our common knowledge and to learn things. I know I will be sure to check those windows when I pick up my Model X. --Thanks, Micquig!

• Like x 4
  8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

You said you got your X 3 months ago. Up until last week the "bubbles" were not there. They "just appeared last week". But you are complaining "What is wrong with Tesla quality control?". That is irrational.

One other TMC member, @modelx007, reported a similar issue in this thread but I am not aware of other reports on TMC. Thousands of X's have been delivered. Obviously this is a rare issue or it is going unnoticed because it is so hard to see.

@Kutu, when people make irrational posts that needs to be pointed out so that a reasonable discussion can take place. Ignoring obvious contradictions and false statements serves no one well.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  9. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Hmmm...you joined today, and have posted two different negative threads about your vehicle...both including confusing content related to the issue.

Interesting.

• Informative x 2
  10. modelx007

modelx007 Member

My feeling is that most of us owners are fully aware of expectations with a first year rollout on an amazing car. Most follow this forum and can not be shocked with falcon door issues with bugs, wind noise etc. I have all these issues and will patiently wait for my next appointment for the service center to address them. If anyone thought by spending 100k+ would mean getting a perfect running model X, you made the wrong decision with expectations in my opinion. Now of issues can't eventually get fixed, then my opinion is you have the right to ask for accountability...so for quality control positions, you may want to wait 2 years as any other mfr. has similar "quality" issues with first year roll outs.

11. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I cannot afford a Model X anyway but have a Model S on order. I'm happy people buy the first vehicles off the assembly line so the rest of us can have the bugs all worked out before purchasing. :)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

On this issue I think @micqing is right to question TM's QC process. The bubbles or cracks in glass have nothing to do with first edition of a vehicle it's just poor parts quality. Windshield on X is different deal but window glasses shouldn't have these kind of defects.
    And please don't rough up new members.

• Like x 4
  13. X Yes?

X Yes? Member

That's right even people that don't own Tesla's will not tolerate complaints. Praise only please.

14. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

How so??? The issue came up 3 months after delivery... Just how is that a QC issue???

Jeff

15. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

@jeffro01 - such defects in the glass are indicative of lack of QC on the glass making process. It's not QC on the overall finished car but QC on individual parts. Just like the front door latches that have failed widespread.

• Like x 1
  16. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Just noticed that the garage door in mcquing's other complaint thread is different than the garage door in this one. Wonder what that indicates?

17. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Yeah, so what I was taking issue with was your assertion that it was a Tesla QC issue...and had nothing to do with whether or not Tesla should take responsibility...

I didn't think that was difficult to understand.

18. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

You said Tesla offered to replace the glass. Sounds like they're taking responsibility and fixing it. Don't understand your analogy.

• Like x 1
  19. jsollender

jsollender Member

I beg to differ with @JohnSnowNW . Tesla is fully responsible to the purchaser of the entirety of the car that they deliver to us. That's kinda why they warranty the car to be absent any defects when delivered. Any defective part is a defective Tesla part. It is up to Tesla to beat up their suppliers, not us. We look to TM as the one to right a problem with the car they sold to us. Bad glass is bad Tesla glass. Bad battery, AP, seat, door latch is bad Tesla battery, bad Tesla software, bad Tesla door latch, etc. It's called corporate responsibility, not passing the buck. Don't let them pass the buck and don't expect a car purchaser to have to track down the sub contractor or sub-manufacturer. Likewise, blaming TM for quality control is appropriate, as long as problem did not just appear now, but was presumably present at delivery and Fremont assembly line. I don't think glass develops bubbles. They were always there.

• Like x 2
  20. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

#20 JohnSnowNW, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Again, being responsible for defects and it being a "Tesla QC" issue is not the same thing. I have no disagreement with Tesla's responsibility to uphold their warranty...

Your assertion that the bubbles were always there is entirely speculative. While glass may not develop bubbles, the process of laminating glass, or rather because of a defect during the process, could certainly do so.