Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Window Bubbles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP is the one that stated they weren't there at the time of delivery. I'm not speculating about their development, but relaying information from the OP.

Which is why it would not be a Tesla QC issue...it wasn't there at the time of delivery...and Tesla didn't produce the window.

Hopefully that's the last time I have to explain this.

You know Apple doesn't make iPhone, right. But if the phone is defective, Apple will take the responsibility to fix or exchange.
And it sounds like Tesla immediately took the responsibility to fix this, yes?

As far as Tesla QC goes (speaking as someone who had that department report to me), this isn't a QC issue. QC inspects during production and final inspection. It's a supplier management issue. And while you can inspect a supplier, review their quality processes, things happen. It sounds like a 'not common' occurrence, but one Tesla is aware of.

I have zero doubt they have let their supplier know so that adjustments can be made to the manufacturing process. In the meantime, there will be a few others that show up. The fact that Service was well aware is a good indication that a Service Bulletin was issued to make sure the different centers knew to watch for it. And I'm sure the supplier will be making this good with Tesla, but we'll never see the outcome (nor should we).

Reactions: xkwizit
Speaking of QC, I worked a construction job in the Bay Area years ago that used a very expensive Saint Gobain glass from England at a price of $15,000 a sheet not including shipping costs.

Glass can be a tricky one to QC because certain imperfections only show up in certain lighting conditions at certain angles.

Anyways one particular sheet of glass made it through Saint Gobain QC was shipped to the Bay Area to be laser cut. Was then installed. While the installers were working I noticed there were a couple very very small bubbles in the laminate of the glass.

So as to the QC glass is a tricky one. In this particular example the product passed by many people's eyes and the blemish was unnoticed. The laser cutting company even said they thoroughly inspect the glass before cutting and didn't notice it.

Anyways, Tesla is going to fix it, as they should, but even if there was a bubble in the glass (which it sounds like there wasn't) at the time of QC somethings get through its unavoidable

Reactions: systemcrashed
I am having a hard time understanding @Misqing reasoning/logic. Bubbles weren't there for the first 3 months of ownership but OP says Tesla Quality Control needs to be better. How can TQC fix something that wasnt there before? Best that can be done is to review the manufacturing process and find/correct the error that didn't show up till 5 months after manufacture assuming 3 month ownership and 2 month for glass manufacture to owner delivery.

I'm "speculating" that the flaw was there all along, and only the right eyes at the right angle with the correct back light and front lighting picked it up, and after that, there was no "not seeing" it possible. Like the purple elephant in the room....

If the problem was with the cutting edge parts of the Model X sure you can give Tesla a pass, but window glass has existed for ages without bubbles, just like on the Toyota Camry that has been suggested. Maybe OP meant to Question Tesla's supplier selection and phrased it as QC? My Touareg and XC90 have expansive pano roofs, no bubbles, maybe those problems are not reported here but haven't heard much about auto glass bubbling prior to this read.