Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X/S $1K Referral Program Policy Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone on the fence to pull the trigger on a Model X or S (like me) note that as of Oct 1st. Tesla policy changed that you must order by October 31st in order to get the $1000 referral credit. If ordered before Dec 31st we would still get the free supercharging only.

Previously I called Tesla customer service and was told that as long as we ordered by Dec. 31st we would be eligible for $1K referral credit and free supercharging for life. Looks like Tesla no longer thinks thats ideal for them for whatever reason,

Personally I was waiting till Dec. to pull the trigger on my order in order to maximize any changes and to get a "2018" Tesla (yes I know it doesn't matter but it may be of some value for resale purposes later... who knows).

I still think waiting to order later is better as the $1000 credit is a nice to have but thats me.

It's a factor for us. If we end up "doing this" we were planning to wait until end of Dec to order (to delay delivery, as OP mentioned) but now it is looking like Oct 31 will be the decision date. Hoping for some good news sometime in Oct. Maybe the semi event...

What kind of good news are you looking for?

Great question. I'm hoping for news about a (hopefully significant) hardware upgrade.. There's a lot of scuttlebutt about an interior refresh being a possibility, display driver being switched to Intel, and there's always the chance of some of the AP hardware getting tweaked under the hood....

In general, I'm wanting a car that's as future proofed as possible. I realize that this is the perpetual problem, but I see the next few months as being a potentially more valuable than normal time to hold off. But TSLA is calling my bluff on waiting until the end of the year.. so we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

My dream? They announce a supercharger 3.0 in conjunction with the Semi and note that cars being delivered from Dec 1 on will have the hardware necessary to charge at the 2x rate that the supercharger 3.0 promises. [ these are all speculative dream numbers on my part. I have no reason to think that any of them are accurate, but that's the beautiful thing about dreams.. I can set my own parameters ]

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: T3xrr and HugoBoss
Great question. I'm hoping for news about a (hopefully significant) hardware upgrade.. There's a lot of scuttlebutt about an interior refresh being a possibility, display driver being switched to Intel, and there's always the chance of some of the AP hardware getting tweaked under the hood....

In general, I'm wanting a car that's as future proofed as possible. I realize that this is the perpetual problem, but I see the next few months as being a potentially more valuable than normal time to hold off. But TSLA is calling my bluff on waiting until the end of the year.. so we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

My dream? They announce a supercharger 3.0 in conjunction with the Semi and note that cars being delivered from Dec 1 on will have the hardware necessary to charge at the 2x rate that the supercharger 3.0 promises. [ these are all speculative dream numbers on my part. I have no reason to think that any of them are accurate, but that's the beautiful thing about dreams.. I can set my own parameters ]
We've all been in your shoes, nothing really happens....

If I were you just wait Q1 2018. That's your best bet.

We've all been in your shoes, nothing really happens....

If I were you just wait Q1 2018. That's your best bet.
We've kinda decided that we want to enjoy the car, though. (and, frankly, we are wasting a lot of time digging through the intarwebs to learn more about a car that we could just buy and be done with it). So, the $1,000 is enough to push us off the fence, and the unlimited supercharging, that may or may not end at the end of 2017, or possibly Jan 31, 2018...

And be very careful with Inventory choices. The obvious issue is with their being abused by being loaners/demos (I just had a loaner that had 900 miles on it, and the difference between it and my 200 mile new car was striking), but they usually compensate you for this with a good discount.

The other thing is that you have to be *sure* that you know what you are getting and not getting. For an inventory X, are you getting: Tow Package? Which PUP? Included Subzero? Sound?

You need a detailed list of what is in the car. Get the full option code list and get it decoded so you know exactly what you are (not) getting.

Reactions: hollywood