Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Safety & Bioweapon defense

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cheers everyone, I think the best thing about Tesla is that they don't make the best electric cars. They make the best cars which happen to be electric. Love that. One important aspect mentioned at the beginning of the X launch presentation is safety.

1. If there was a 6 star rating available, the Model X would've almost got it (6.5% prob of injuries)! It's the safest SUV on earth!
-> Some points: 5 star rating in every category. Half of the side pole intrusion compared to the second safest SUV. Emergency braking and side collision prevention. Half of the rollover propensity of any other SUV.

2. The huge clean air filter (10x larger than normal filters) is really needed in combustion emission polluted cities.
-> About 800 times better in filtering than standard cabine air filters in other cars.

3. There's a bioweapon defense mode button. :biggrin: So Tesla!

Discuss.

Last edited:
1. If there was a 6 star rating available, the Model X would've got it! It's the safest SUV on earth!
-> Some points: 5 star rating in every category. Emergency braking and side collision prevention. Half of the rollover propensity of any other SUV.

I think what he said was the 5% would be a six star rating and that the Model X would be about a 6.5% (1.5% too high to be a 6 star rating).

side_intrusion_x.jpg

Elon: "This is the difference between life and death."

- - - Updated - - -

I think what he said was the 5% would be a six star rating and that the Model X would be about a 6.5% (1.5% too high to be a 6 star rating).

true! fixed that.

I think the giant HEPA filter will be a great feature for the Chinese market. One of those things people didn't know they wanted until it showed up, then it's a must have to deal with atrocious air quality.

I think the giant HEPA filter will be a great feature for the Chinese market. One of those things people didn't know they wanted until it showed up, then it's a must have to deal with atrocious air quality.

+1 . I think this is perfect for the well-off Chinese car buyers.

With regards to the safety specs, here's what is presented at the TM X website:

Safety First Design

Every part of Model X is designed with safety as a first priority. The floor-mounted battery lowers the center of gravity so that the risk of rollover is almost nonexistent. The battery structure strengthens Model X against side impact intrusions. And without a gasoline engine, the large front trunk acts as a giant impact-absorbing crumple zone.

section-safety-hero.jpg

Active Safety

Model X continually scans the surrounding roadway with camera, radar and sonar systems, providing the driver with real-time feedback to avoid collisions. Even at highway speeds, Model X will automatically apply brakes in an emergency.

Pollution Free, Inside and Out

A medical grade HEPA filter strips outside air of pollen, bacteria, viruses and pollution before circulating it into the cabin. There are three modes: circulate with outside air, re-circulate inside air and a bioweapon defense mode that creates positive pressure inside the cabin to protect occupants.

--
I was looking for Model X crash test pictures, but the NHTSA seems to be slow to publish those or some clips or similar.

2. The huge clean air filter (10x larger than normal filters) is really needed in combustion emission polluted cities.
-> About 800 times better in filtering than standard cabine air filters in other cars.

3. There's a bioweapon defense mode button. :biggrin: So Tesla!

Discuss.

If there is one thing I really hate while driving a car then it is breathing recycled cigarette smoke from some idiot driving in front of me and sucked up and blown into my car by the airco system. If a 100$ filter can prevent that then +100

Last edited:
I am one who wasn't wowed by the reveal, but the safety was definitely the most impressive part. I am really glad they kept focus on maintaining best-in-class safety ratings, considering how the utility part sort of got pushed to the side.

The air filter, as has been mentioned elsewhere, is going to be a huge selling point in China. It'll be a "nice to have" thing is some congested US cities, but for most of the US, it's overkill. A lot of us (especially in temperate rural California) drive with the windows open. Still better to have it than not, no question.

One thing about safety - I carry a lot of scythes, throwing stars, spears and jousts in my frunk. I assume that's fine.

Love the air filtration. I'm curious what the biohazard function actually does. It's been suggested that it creates a positive pressure environment inside the car, but this would require using outside air. Maybe that's fine given the HEPA air filtration, but how is it different from just having it in fresh air mode (the left-most button)? Does fresh air mode bypass the HEPA filter? Maybe it does, and that extends the life of the HEPA filter, using it only when you REALLY want it with the biohazard button. That would also explain why there is a 2nd smaller filter. That would be my guess.

I could definitely see loving the air filtration for passing by skunks, chicken farms, water treatment plants, rolling coalers (be it intentional or not), etc. We get plenty of all of those out here in the midwest.

I thought it makes sense based on all of the talk about zombies I hear these days around my office :confused:
The polluted cities makes more sense or even for just trying to charge at Harris Ranch this could be awesome!