Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Safety & Bioweapon defense

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A least one critical question went unanswered: can the bio weapon defense mode remember GPS locations where it should automatically engage? And does it come pre populated with stretches of I-5 near Harris Ranch and other predictably unpleasant places? Perhaps it should be possible to crowdsource places where engaging it makes sense.

Has anyone considered that the Biohazard filtration option is for those interior gas hazards, say after one had eaten a lot of spicy food.......? Elon did mention that the system will work on not only stuff coming in from the outside, but inside as well. When he said that, the crowd laughed, so I assumed he meant the Hepa filtration system would get rid of any post spicy food methane.

We can only guess if that X feature will come to the S someday.
I will say that I doubt there is space in the S to fit a HEPA filter that large.

But a smaller filter should be doable, and the overpressure mode has nothing to do with the filter.

- - - Updated - - -

Bioweapon Experts Aren't Buying the Tesla Model X's Bioweapon Defense Mode
Bioweapon Experts Arens Bioweapon Defense ModeÂ*

In other words, Serious People Have No Sense of Humor.

A least one critical question went unanswered: can the bio weapon defense mode remember GPS locations where it should automatically engage? And does it come pre populated with stretches of I-5 near Harris Ranch and other predictably unpleasant places? Perhaps it should be possible to crowdsource places where engaging it makes sense.

I thought the same thing. Would be great to have near cattle feed lots. This mode (bio defense, positive pressure) should be backwards compatible to all Model Ss, no?

I thought the same thing. Would be great to have near cattle feed lots. This mode (bio defense, positive pressure) should be backwards compatible to all Model Ss, no?

Geolocation memory and recall for bio defense mode would seemingly be easy, and is a great idea for known problem areas, though it may be unnecessary if the activated carbon pre filters are any good :)

I've always wondered why the level of filtration isn't automated for simple particulate matter, eg smoke. A simple sensor, such as this, to automagically enable recycled air would be goodness

The article seems to only refer to HEPA filters in .3 and .2 micrometer sizes, but the slide shown by Tesla indicated that it was effective against viruses in the .01 micron range. If you google for ".01 micron HEPA" they do exist, though they are pretty expensive.

The article seems to only refer to HEPA filters in .3 and .2 micrometer sizes, but the slide shown by Tesla indicated that it was effective against viruses in the .01 micron range. If you google for ".01 micron HEPA" they do exist, though they are pretty expensive.

HEPA filter will filter smaller particles but not with 99.97% effectiveness. Slide was showing that Model X will catch 800x more 0.01 particles but it did not imply that it can filter them out with 99.97% efficacy.

Anyone able to confirm my theory or come up with an alternate theory for the operation modes?

Definitions:
standard filter -- the smaller air filter (can't recall, but Elon may have referred to it as the secondary filter); I refer to this as the "standard", because it is likely the standard type of filter used in most all cars.
HEPA filter -- the big air filter that does the fine particulate filtering

My theory was:
1) Standard -- Air from outside is passed through standard filter only.
2) Recirculate -- Air from inside is passed through standard filter only.
3) Biohazard -- Air from outside is passed through standard and HEPA filters.

Reasoning:
There's been scuttlebutt about Biohazard mode creating a positive pressure environment inside the car. That's not possible unless you use outside air (or some air reserve in a tank or something, which is highly unlikely, so I am dismissing that possibility). But if the Biohazard mode is using outside air, what makes it different from the Standard mode that uses outside air? It could blow air more forcefully, but I would speculate that the Standard mode doesn't use the HEPA filter at all, and that the Recirculate mode doesn't either. After all, most of the time you don't need the advanced filtration, and this would likely greatly extend the life of what is probably a very expensive filter. It may also be noisier when the HEPA filter is in use which would be good to avoid when not needed, thought maybe not an issue given how large they made it.

Note that regardless of outside versus inside air with the Biohazard mode, either way it would help with interior gas releases (from you farters out there; you know who you are!). For inside air, it would be treated by the filter, and for outside air it would be disbursed by the positive pressure environment with interior air being replaced by exterior air.

Last edited:
HEPA filter needs good prefilter so the smaller filter is likely such filter. I think HEPA filtration is always on, biohazard is probably just a stronger fan speed that maintains positive pressure throughout the cabin.

1) Standard -- Air from outside is passed through standard filter only.
2) Recirculate -- Air from inside is passed through standard filter only.
3) Biohazard -- Air from outside is passed through standard and HEPA filters.

I would think that Biohazard mode would use recirculate as well. The implication is that usually you're trying to filter out whatever pollutants are outside the car. Running the small number of pollutants that are already in the vehicle's air through the filter would result in a much quicker, cleaner filtration than would bringing continued polluted air into the filter. I think of it like using recirculate with the AC. It's going to be quicker to chill air that has already been chilled somewhat, rather than chill air that is warm and humid.

I would think that Biohazard mode would use recirculate as well. The implication is that usually you're trying to filter out whatever pollutants are outside the car. Running the small number of pollutants that are already in the vehicle's air through the filter would result in a much quicker, cleaner filtration than would bringing continued polluted air into the filter. I think of it like using recirculate with the AC. It's going to be quicker to chill air that has already been chilled somewhat, rather than chill air that is warm and humid.
You can't create positive cabin pressure in a closed recirculating system. You have to pull in outside air to create pressure.