TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X sales versus other large luxury SUV's

Discussion in 'Model X' started by RubberToe, Apr 5, 2016.

1. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Based on Tesla's latest annual report which showed how the Model S was selling relative to other large luxury cars, I started a thread in the Model S forum tracking those changes into a 2016/15 comparison. Just to see if the trend continued. I thought that it might be fun to do the same thing with the Model X.

The biggest obvious difference being that the Model S has been out so long, a year over year comparison actually makes sense. The Model X just starting being delivered. Anyone getting a Model X has been waiting for it an awfully long time, with the recent exception for those ordering the P90D variety who do get to the front of the line. At least we will be able to see how the other competitors do over time relative to last year, and whether overall sales are increasing or decreasing. You can all draw your own conclusions obviously. I hope to update this table every month going forward. All data from insideevs and goodcarbadcar. Feel free to suggest other models to add to the table.

Tesla should feel free to include this in their 2017 annual report when the time comes, giving me full credit of course :p

[​IMG]

• Like x 5
  2. RubberToe

April numbers are in:

[​IMG]

• Like x 5
  3. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Internet journalists that troll TMC - it would hurt your head to read the table posted by OP..so here's a summary for you:
    Tesla Model X is far behind in sales as compared to leading luxury SUVs of its class such as Cadillac Escalade, Mercedes GL, and Range Rover. Tesla has a lot of road to catch up on though it already beat Toyota and Lexus in the short run thus far.

On a more serious note, @RubberToe it would be nice to know:
    a) source of data
    b) are the numbers for US only

4. RubberToe

Tesla numbers from insideevs.com, others from goodcarbadcar.net.

Large SUV sales holding up pretty well. Not so for the Model 3 competition. ;)

5. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Thanks. I actually find Model X numbers very impressive compared to the traditional SUVs. Tesla isn't even running full production on this and they have already beat Toyota and Lexus combined. As soon as the word spreads on improved quality, more people will switch.

6. Diavel

Diavel Member

Thanks! I was trying to get clarification as it was very confusing. Also appreciate you calling me a journalist as none of my friends or family members refer to me as that.

I'll make sure to put a newsworthy clickbait link reading Tesla Model X dismal sales figure causes pandemonium.

Not to mention the burning X upthread. That's pretty newsworthy though I didn't bother to click on it. Please clarify that too if you can. I'm sure I can get a lot of clicks on that

-troll

• Funny x 3
  7. X Fan

X Fan Member

8. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

You're comparing the Model X to a the Cadillac Escalade?! I think I can fit an entire Model X into an Escalade and still have room for a Smart EV! (Because the Escalade's 2nd row seats fold forward unlike the Model X, allowing the Tesla to squeeze in there with the Smart car.)

Perhaps better comparisons would be to the Infiniti QX60, Infintii QX70, Lexus RX450h, Toyota Rav4, and BMW X5?

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  9. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

#9 chipmunk, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    I think what's going on is the categories are really, Affordable Luxury SUVs, Mid-priced Luxury SUVs, and Expensive Luxury SUVs. These vehicles are in the same price range as the Model X. I think it's a fair comparison...albeit confusingly named.

10. RubberToe

May numbers are in:

[​IMG]

Looks like lower gas prices are helping out the Luxury SUV sales. My list is up 11.42% YOY. Other market segments are a bit softer.

11. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Where are the Audi Q7, Volvo XC 90, and Porsche Cayenne numbers? ;)

• Like x 1
  12. X Fan

X Fan Member

Agreed...and the X’s from BMW...

13. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

Too early. A year from now I expect the Model X to really put a dent in Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5, Audi Q5/7, and Mercedes sales. Once you drive the Model X, you would have to not care at all about driving performance to buy anything else.

• Like x 2
  14. Spidy

Spidy Member

Those aren't large luxury SUVs :rolleyes:

15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Agreed - These SUV's would be a much better comparison.

• Like x 1
  16. Funky

Funky Member

I like the tracker. However, as mentioned above, I think you are missing a few comparison models such as the Volvo XC90.

17. X Fan

X Fan Member

o_O Nah--if you are going to compare X sales to luxury offerings at minimum the X5 needs to be in the list. Price point snd demographics of BMW’s X5 is clearly also Tesla’s sweetspot.....back at ya’ :p

18. Spidy

Spidy Member

Yet when there was this big post about the Model S being the best selling Luxury sedan everyone said the 5-Series, E-Class or A6 are a different category.

19. X Fan

X Fan Member

You had me until you said the word: “everyone"....haha

20. Adm

Adm Active Member

Using the OP's data I've calculated market share of the cars mentioned. Model X's star is rising, but it has some more work to do.

Market share Model X.jpg