Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X sales versus other large luxury SUV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sliding doors means Tesla has an $80k-$167k minivan.

Sales in the USA and China implode immediately.

Well, a point certainly. But I wonder with Model X - compared to falcon wings.

It would still be the only BEV of the type on the market.

Which is more controversial? Falcon wings or sliding doors?

Still, normal doors would obviously sell the most in a Model X...

My point was misconstrued, though, in the sense that I never suggested sliding doors to a Model X. I just explained why IMO minivans don't quite so pressingly need two door variants. Minivans are minivans.

I think the best-selling idea for Model X would have been all normal doors.

That said, I'm seriously trying to envision the same Model X with sliding doors that I have... and I don't think it would turn into a minivan just because of that. It still runs higher, is more off-roadey, it looks cooler (as long as the sliding door would be implemented in some semi-cool manner which I'm sure it would be), it is still a super-fast BEV. I definitely would not associate it with a minivan based on the door type. And a sliding door would be less cumbersome in many ways.

Minivan is not just about the door, it is also about the fact that it is, well, a high wagon of sorts. Model X definitely is not.

BTW: I made this image way back... of a falcon-wing type of L shaped door that operated by swinging back from the roof opening. This, too, would have been a more complex foor and probably an impractical implementation, but just one more thought idea about how to solve some of the falcon wing issues.

2urQtGx.jpg

Fictional Concept: Sliding "Falcon Wings" for Model Y

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Well, a point certainly. But I wonder with Model X - compared to falcon wings.

It would still be the only BEV of the type on the market.

Which is more controversial? Falcon wings or sliding doors?

Still, normal doors would obviously sell the most in a Model X...

Sliders doors aren't controversial.

They are despised in this segment.

It is one of ironies of life that a car you drive a few times a year people are willing to spend millions on but on a practical everyday car about $50k is the max.

Sliding door vehicles people spend over $70k are luxury conversion vans meant for camping or executive black car services.

Sliders doors aren't controversial.

They are despised in this segment.

Again, my point was misconstrued, though, in the sense that I never suggested sliding doors to a Model X. I just explained why IMO minivans don't quite so pressingly need two door variants. Minivans are minivans.

Model X on the other hand, could benefit from a second door type IMO. Normal doors.

As for could a sliding door work in a Model X. I still think it might work better than falcon wings. They too are despised in some quarters...

The reason for the falcon wing doors in the first place is kind of negated with summon. The idea of falcon wing doors was they would open up and out of the way in tight places allowing people to get in, but with summon and regular doors, it's kind of overkill.

I'm not a big fan of SUVs to begin with, but the two deal killers for me with the Model X are the two biggest features which are the falcon wing doors and that massive front windshield.

Sliding doors of course could open in more places than falcon wings do. :) The original falcon wing concept was so great because the opening was so big that third row had its own access. Now that third row access is through the second row anyway in the production model, this benefit is greatly less...

Reactions: bonaire
Model%20X%20December%202017_zpsnsqgdada.jpg

Final 2017 update...

Sales of this segment increased slightly in 2017, but not a huge increase. Tesla market share increased:
2016: 8.8% derived from 18,295 / 208,256
2017: 10.0% derived from 21,315 / 212,749

The Escalade was really the only significant mover, down about 4,000 units year over year. The Model X had a very nice second year.

Gas prices are generally headed up. Oil briefly hit $70 per barrel, and the California gas tax bumped up in November 2017. I suspect that these land cruisers appeal may start to wane.

RT