Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model X Seat Back Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@XPEL -- are your seatback protective films available in colors, or just clear? I have white seats in my X and would love to have a white film applied.

The film, ULTIMATE is a clear film. Since there is a seam (meaning the film has a pre-cut reliefs in the film) in order to install with the curve, you wouldn't want to use a coloured paint protection film. You could have the seats wrapped in a white vinyl, which can be heated and stretched to fit the seats.

I just got a quote from a shop in Chicago suburbs for over $700. It is higher that the upper limit of the range u provided for MX. I also got quoted $2000 for the whole front XPELed.
Please let me know...

Yes, the range is a general pricing. It depends where you're at in the country and the demand for clear bra.

Keep in mind these are what we typically see across the country and it can vary with these factors:
- Where you live
- Demand for paint protection film
- Size of your vehicle

For a partial front end: This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $895 - $1,195.

For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 - $2,195.

For full car coverage: This includes every painted surface on the car possible. This ranges from $4,500 - $8,000.

When you do find an installer:

- Be sure to ask for wrapped edges where possible (meaning that the film will wrap over the edge of the panel)

- Visit their shop and look at some of their installations they've completed, as certain installers may do things differently

- Exam the installation to see if the visible seams are close the edge of the body panel

- You can ask them if they've wrapped your vehicle before, some installers may have wrapped a few, some may have wrapped a hundred...it's best to find an installer you feel comfortable leaving your pride and joy with.

Yes, unfortunately, the closest would be about 2.5 hours to San Jose or Monterey
The seat back kit is not a recommended DIY kit, it has a 3/5 difficulty rating. We do sell the kits online, HERE
Id highly recommend going to a local installer, if possible. To find the nearest installer please visit: XPEL Locator

I am getting a full body wrap Expel ultimate including the seat back soon here in Canada, my worry is about 1) The Front and Falcon wing doors sensing obstruction after the wrap due to the film covering sensors and 2) The doors not closing/Opening as they have to be kept open for long periods and get timed out needing re calibration...any ideas or suggestions about these two concerns I have which i can pass it on to my installer is AUTO OBSESSED in Edmonton Alberta, Canada..Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
@XPEL -- are your seatback protective films available in colors, or just clear? I have white seats in my X and would love to have a white film applied.

I've heard of people plasti-dipping their rims. Could you plasti-dip the seat backs?

I am getting a full body wrap Expel ultimate including the seat back soon here in Canada, my worry is about 1) The Front and Falcon wing doors sensing obstruction after the wrap due to the film covering sensors and 2) The doors not closing/Opening as they have to be kept open for long periods and get timed out needing re calibration...any ideas or suggestions about these two concerns I have which i can pass it on to my installer..AUTO OBSESSED in Edmonton Alberta, Canada..Thanks for your reply.

I had my X completely covered in XPel. They didn't appear to have any issues with keeping the doors open too long losing calibration. I think the latest software updates have resolved that issue. I haven't had any issues with the sensors after the XPel, they appear to work great in my garage. All doors and hatches have stopped well before any obstacles. It's a bit conservative, but I don't mind. I suspect that with time, they'll stop closer to the obstacles.

I've heard of people plasti-dipping their rims. Could you plasti-dip the seat backs?

I had my X completely covered in XPel. They didn't appear to have any issues with keeping the doors open too long losing calibration. I think the latest software updates have resolved that issue. I haven't had any issues with the sensors after the XPel, they appear to work great in my garage. All doors and hatches have stopped well before any obstacles. It's a bit conservative, but I don't mind. I suspect that with time, they'll stop closer to the obstacles.
Thanks.. it's Reassuring..will go ahead with it ,

I had my front end wrapped yesterday, but the shop that I used refused to do the seat backs because they felt their installation process carried too much of a damage risk to the interior and thought the relief cuts required on the seat back kits would lead to unsightly results. They instead referred me to a vinyl wrap company, but I'm just going to wait and see how the seats hold up on their own before doing anything to them.

I am getting a full body wrap Expel ultimate including the seat back soon here in Canada, my worry is about 1) The Front and Falcon wing doors sensing obstruction after the wrap due to the film covering sensors and 2) The doors not closing/Opening as they have to be kept open for long periods and get timed out needing re calibration...any ideas or suggestions about these two concerns I have which i can pass it on to my installer is AUTO OBSESSED in Edmonton Alberta, Canada..Thanks for your reply.

We've had no issues while we were wrapping Model X's...we've personally done I believe 4 here at XPEL San Antonio, and others at our other XPEL shops. You should be just fine.

I had my front end wrapped yesterday, but the shop that I used refused to do the seat backs because they felt their installation process carried too much of a damage risk to the interior and thought the relief cuts required on the seat back kits would lead to unsightly results. They instead referred me to a vinyl wrap company, but I'm just going to wait and see how the seats hold up on their own before doing anything to them.

The installation process is not an easy one, especially on interior pieces. Some installers may be more comfortable doing interior pieces than others. Just requires more attention to detail and prep work to ensure no installation gel gets on the floor/seats.... The relief cuts and seams, if applied properly shouldn't be an issue, as they line up with the kit.

We've had no issues while we were wrapping Model X's...we've personally done I believe 4 here at XPEL San Antonio, and others at our other XPEL shops. You should be just fine..
Thanks for the Info
My Model X will be the first one the Expel installer AUTO OBSESSED in Edmonton,will be doing . He has asked for a week's time to getting the job done, 10-11 hrs for detailing and then wrapping and leaving it the the showroom at a set temperature for the wrap to settle down..i thought it was a bit long but he insist, that is how he does for all the wraps..

Thanks for the Info
My Model X will be the first one the Expel installer AUTO OBSESSED in Edmonton,will be doing . He has asked for a week's time to getting the job done, 10-11 hrs for detailing and then wrapping and leaving it the the showroom at a set temperature for the wrap to settle down..i thought it was a bit long but he insist, that is how he does for all the wraps..

That time frame isn't unreasonable. We keep full wraps for about 3-4 days depending on the vehicle. We don't do any sort of detailing (buffing, polishing etc). We wash, clay, wipe down and install the film.

Are there any problems with XPEL and the autopilot or door sensors. If someone has an unrelated falcon wing door sensor issue in the future, does having a wrap affect the warranty?

I have heard of issues. Due to that I have decided to not have mine done. Hidden sensors would be incredibly hard to cut around, and then who knows if that truly stops any interference? Tesla is mum on a response from my research, aside from no longer offering it from factory.

I've had a similar problem. I've called three different Xpel installers here in Colorado and one refused to do it (saying the alcohol and water for the installation would damage the components or the leather) and the other two said that they had never done it (I'm not sure I'm ready to be their first). I contacted Xpel last week and got a call back saying that they have the kits but not responding to my question about who in Colorado installs them. Having kids, I'm most concerned about the seats...the outside might get a rock every now and again but my kids will be rubbing up against those seats daily. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I've had a similar problem. I've called three different Xpel installers here in Colorado and one refused to do it (saying the alcohol and water for the installation would damage the components or the leather) and the other two said that they had never done it (I'm not sure I'm ready to be their first). I contacted Xpel last week and got a call back saying that they have the kits but not responding to my question about who in Colorado installs them. Having kids, I'm most concerned about the seats...the outside might get a rock every now and again but my kids will be rubbing up against those seats daily. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Check out Colorado Detail. Steve the owner is an honest guy and will answer your questions.

Reactions: GreenColorado

Sorry for the lack of communication from our customer service team, please see the list of installers here: XPEL INSTALLERS.

We've done quite a few Model X's here with no issues. Just need to properly prep the vehicle so it catches the excess installation gel from getting on the floor. We wrapped the seat backs of a white leather and a darker leather and didn't have any issues.

My installer in the Chicagoland area laughed when he saw the seat-backs; they use nearly as much material as the freaking exterior of the car!

These damn shiny, scratch-prone seats … ugh. $US 1k down the toilet on a basically-nonoptional expense. (I only spent marginally more than that getting the *entire car* coated in a fancy, pretty colour! O_O)

Reactions: Cowby
How's the durability of this material on a seat back? With kids and shoes I'm paranoid about a rock caught in a tread gouging a seat whether wrapped or not. Debating needing those hanging seat back protectors to prevent me having to leave the kids in the woods permanently.

BlackSheep, I am having my seatbacks wrapped in a white vinyl to match my ultrawhite seats. I am also going to use the hanging protectors for a few months and then reevaluate how well they hold up. If not well, I might have an additional layer of clear wrap applied to the vinyl.