TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Seat Front Plastic - Catching it When Getting Out of the Car

Discussion in 'Model X' started by SocalMS, Feb 25, 2017.

1. SocalMS

SocalMS Member

There's a piece of plastic piece at the bottom of the Model X seats.

I find my foot kicking against this, and pulling on it every time I get out of the car.

It's really annoying, and I know one day, this piece is going to crack or break off.

This is a poorly designed "thing", whatever it's supposed to be.... And why is it there?

Tesla Model X Seat Plastic.jpg

• Like x 2
  2. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

It's a rail cover. It's not the best design.

3. ahtlys

ahtlys Member

Yep, I catch on it occasionally. Told my wife its gonna break one day.

4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

My wife complained about this on the first day we had the car. I have caught on it numerous times and generally can't stand it. It's a poor design.

• Like x 1
  5. DrivingRockies

Mine broke first week. Had it replaced (they didn't charge me). I try to be much more careful :-(.

6. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Never touched it. I wonder what the difference is? Seat position perhaps? I assume you mean from the driver seat.

7. ahtlys

ahtlys Member

It's the driver seat. I think it does depend on seat position and how I get out of the car. I pull my feat back so I don't rub them on the interior and occasionally they will catch that piece.

8. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

I've got it a few times too. I suspect this is an issue taller drivers since the seat is positioned further back exposing the rail cover.

9. lmapow

lmapow Member

Accidentally pulled mine loose the first day I had my X. Just had it re-attached at SC when I brought the car in for another problem... My first day after getting my car back I pulled it loose again with my foot... I give up.. horrible design..

10. travwill

travwill Active Member

Yeah be careful too as if you break the rail cover, it requires removing the ENTIRE SEAT to put a new one one - horrible design!

11. DrivingRockies

My seat was damaged when it was replaced (wide scratch on the back of the driver's seat, about the right shoulder). I didn't see it soon enough...

• Disagree x 1
  12. SocalMS

SocalMS Member

I don't believe it has anything to do w/ the seat position.. as it follows your seat forward or back..

It was to do w/ how you get out of the car.. whether you slide your legs/feet closer to the seat.. or away..

Overall.... (bad, annoying) design flaw...

13. MX458Dave

MX458Dave Member

I was going to post this same thing. I've hit it multiple times getting out of the car. It will break soon I'm sure.

14. Scrith

Scrith Member

I've caught it a couple of times too, and once it came off (but easily slipped back on).

15. neige

neige Member

I've had my pants catch on the plastic piece several times. I've now broken it twice. First time they replaced it for free. Second time they charged me $4. I'm impressed anything on this car costs that little.

Agreed, terrible design. Good thing I love the car overall.

16. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Broke mine yesterday. Caught it on the back of my shoe. :-( Since they are going to replace it with a similar piece of cheap plastic, perhaps I'll just let it go. It could look worse.

17. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Member

Easy fix. Cut the excess off, file smooth. I did both front seats in less than 20 minutes. IMG_4130.JPG IMG_4138.JPG

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Or sand down any rough edge and leave it be. But mine broke much further back. :-(

19. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I sharpened mine to a point and added a diamond edge. Life's a risky game!

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  20. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I perform the 90º butt-swivel that I'd perfected in the Model S in order to exit the Model X. The legs then follow that arc.
    Perhaps that's why I never have noticed this design flaw.

But I think I'll institute the Ohmman Variant in order to snag any unauthorized front seat warmers. That'll teach 'em!