TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Seat Front Plastic - Catching it When Getting Out of the Car

Discussion in 'Model X' started by SocalMS, Feb 25, 2017.

1. goldenmastiff

goldenmastiff Member

Wife cut her foot on it last summer. Lots of blood!
    I wrote to Tesla for a fix after it happened as I really had no desire to take a hacksaw to the new car but we have received no reply.

2. MX75D

MX75D Member

Mine was broken upon delivery :( One of 22 items they attempted to repair during the first month of ownership.

3. flar

flar Member

After cutting off those pieces did you move the seat through its entire range to see if a greasy seat rail ends up protruding at some point?

4. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Mine broke off in the first week, way back under the seat. The seat rail is now exposed, but it's not greasy or anything, just somewhat less attractive. If you even notice it.

5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Member

Has zero effect on the area where the greased rail is. See pictures of both the rail in the center of the car and the one at the door. As you can see the greased rail is exposed on the stock center and modified side when the seat is at the full rearward position. Check yours.

Ed

IMG_4181.JPG IMG_4182 (2).jpg

• Like x 1
  6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Member

Mom turned 100 and has paper thin skin. Not ready to chance her getting injured when she ride in the front seat.

7. flar

flar Member

Aha, I see the problem now.

First, I don't have this problem because I sit far enough back that the plastic piece is not exposed, it is flush against the rail (see my first picture below).

In your second picture there is a gap between the two pieces of the rail. If you put your finger in there and slid the seat forward you'll get pinched pretty badly. The location is hidden enough that it shouldn't be an issue in general, but if someone were fumbling around looking for the seat controls while the car was adjusting the seat (either due to a position restore, or because someone pushed the 3rd row access button which sometimes moves the front seats), then they could end up getting their finger scissored in that gap. The piece you removed covers that gap. Note that I have no such gap in my car when I move the seat all the way back (my second picture below).

My normal seating position:
    seating_position.jpg

Fully extended rearward:
    fully_extended.jpg

8. flar

flar Member

(And as to why they close that gap by extending the piece on the seat that moves forward and sticks out the front vs. closing it by building out the piece on the rail that doesn't move - I have no idea, but I'll bet it has to do with clearance on something inside the seat when you move it all the way forward...?)