Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Seat Front Plastic - Catching it When Getting Out of the Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After cutting off those pieces did you move the seat through its entire range to see if a greasy seat rail ends up protruding at some point?

Has zero effect on the area where the greased rail is. See pictures of both the rail in the center of the car and the one at the door. As you can see the greased rail is exposed on the stock center and modified side when the seat is at the full rearward position. Check yours.

Ed

IMG_4181.JPG
IMG_4182 (2).jpg

Reactions: ohmman
Aha, I see the problem now.

First, I don't have this problem because I sit far enough back that the plastic piece is not exposed, it is flush against the rail (see my first picture below).

In your second picture there is a gap between the two pieces of the rail. If you put your finger in there and slid the seat forward you'll get pinched pretty badly. The location is hidden enough that it shouldn't be an issue in general, but if someone were fumbling around looking for the seat controls while the car was adjusting the seat (either due to a position restore, or because someone pushed the 3rd row access button which sometimes moves the front seats), then they could end up getting their finger scissored in that gap. The piece you removed covers that gap. Note that I have no such gap in my car when I move the seat all the way back (my second picture below).

My normal seating position:
seating_position.jpg

Fully extended rearward:
fully_extended.jpg

(And as to why they close that gap by extending the piece on the seat that moves forward and sticks out the front vs. closing it by building out the piece on the rail that doesn't move - I have no idea, but I'll bet it has to do with clearance on something inside the seat when you move it all the way forward...?)