Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X seat options and PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GoTslaGo

Learning Member
Dec 25, 2015
US
We are looking at options for a Model X, and currently have a 2015 Model S with leather, not Next-Gen seats. I realize now that I would have preferred the Next-Gen seats.

When Model X came out, it had an option for Next Gen seats as well (with the Premium Upgrade Package). I do not see this option on the configurator anymore.

Is there only one seat option for the Model X at this time? And would it be reasonable to assume it is essentially the Next Gen seats of old.

I know about the discontinuation of the ventilated seats. We will be checking with the sales center about the seats and PUP options, but just wanted to see what others know here on TMC (since I've found TMC's knowledge base more extensive about Tesla than almost any other source). We are planning on test driving soon.

Finally, does the PUP offer any additional benefits for the seats now that the vented seats are gone?

We are looking at options for a Model X, and currently have a 2015 Model S with leather, not Next-Gen seats. I realize now that I would have preferred the Next-Gen seats.

When Model X came out, it had an option for Next Gen seats as well (with the Premium Upgrade Package). I do not see this option on the configurator anymore.

Is there only one seat option for the Model X at this time? And would it be reasonable to assume it is essentially the Next Gen seats of old.

It is not the Next Gen seats of old. I believe there have been four generations of Tesla front seats in Model S/Model X:

1) The original (e.g. Model S Signatures etc.)
2) Slightly beefed up original (later pre-AP cars etc., non-Next Gen seat AP cars)
3) Next Gen (introduced with P85D, very sporty, cocooning, some might even say tough love kind of seat)
4) Tesla Premium seat (introduced in Model X, later also Model S, used to have ventilation option, somewhere between original and next gen in seating comfort/sportiness)

I believe the last seat is the only current Tesla seat in Model S and Model X, though no longer with ventilation as you point out.

Finally, does the PUP offer any additional benefits for the seats now that the vented seats are gone?

I believe it does not, though the additonal leather I think affects the armrest areas.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
AnxietyRanger is correct. Even the Model S is just cycling through the next generation seats, which were made by Recaro. (They may be done at this point) Tesla has taken seat manufacturing in house to create the premium seats, which are standard on the S & X, just a matter of whether you want leather or not. The ventilated seats were the same basic seats with different skin and hardware for ventilation.

I can't confirm for sure, but I believe PUP adds very subtle details to the seats. This seems to be more noticeable on a white interior. I've noticed a dark trim line along the seams on the seats of white interiors with a PUP, where as a non-PUP is all white.