Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X second row bench stuck half folded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The passenger side seat of my second row (2020 model x 7 seater) is stuck in half folded position and therefore unusable. I’ve brought it to my service center 6x and they’ve been unable to fix with new parts. They’re now saying the only option is a brand new seat but one hasn’t been available all year, so no one knows how long it’ll take.

For all of 2022, I haven’t been able to use this seat and have had to deal with warning beeps and messages while driving.

I have a family of five, so the car has been unusable for us. The issue started right after I’ve had it for two years so lemon law doesn’t apply. What are my options?

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
The passenger side seat of my second row (2020 model x 7 seater) is stuck in half folded position and therefore unusable. I’ve brought it to my service center 6x and they’ve been unable to fix with new parts. They’re now saying the only option is a brand new seat but one hasn’t been available all year, so no one knows how long it’ll take.

For all of 2022, I haven’t been able to use this seat and have had to deal with warning beeps and messages while driving.

I have a family of five, so the car has been unusable for us. The issue started right after I’ve had it for two years so lemon law doesn’t apply. What are my options?
Same issue and my X is 2022 picked up 5 days agi.

I agree, it's not really clear to me how it's possible to ship these things with such obvious defects.

Regardless, my car is being actively worked on in the service center (cool that I can see the doors opening and closing in the app). I mesaged them asking to double-check that the bench slides freely and, sure enough, a new work item appears because it doesn't slide. Sigh.

I agree, it's not really clear to me how it's possible to ship these things with such obvious defects.

Regardless, my car is being actively worked on in the service center (cool that I can see the doors opening and closing in the app). I mesaged them asking to double-check that the bench slides freely and, sure enough, a new work item appears because it doesn't slide. Sigh.
How long has your car been in service? They are replacing that entire seat?

Be aware sometimes they turn off your ability to see the car.

I would maneuver the seats again and again at pick up to ensure proper movement and installation. My car is seven days old today, my 2nd row seats never glided smoothly. There were no models to see when I ordered mine in Sept 2021. Not sure how they should respond to the seat buttons and cheap levers.

Be aware sometimes they turn off your ability to see the car.

I would maneuver the seats again and again at pick up to ensure proper movement and installation. My car is seven days old today, my 2nd row seats never glided smoothly. There were no models to see when I ordered mine in Sept 2021. Not sure how they should respond to the seat buttons and cheap levers.

I picked it up this afternoon and indeed I tested the seats very thoroughly. So far, so good. We’ll see how it holds up to some use while I have guests over the next week!

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
I picked it up this afternoon and indeed I tested the seats very thoroughly. So far, so good. We’ll see how it holds up to some use while I have guests over the next week!
Thanks for that info Salty. I took my car in today and in 15 minutes they fixed the issue. They told me the Tech unzipped the seat back andchecked all connections. Seems it was just “stuck”. Had a conversation with the service rep and told him this seat issue should be registered with Tesla. Service tech and sales team members agreed the seats should work smoother than they do. I will mention to them what was done to your car. Maybe they can do the same to mine. Also, service tech said he has seen the issue before.

I hope this is the last issue for us both! Thank you for sharing :) and Happy New Year!

@SaltyC. Can you elaborate on this “… they tuned the sliding mechanism so the seats move much more easily.” I will mention this to Tesla in case my seats gets stuck again
Sorry for the slow reply. Busy over the holidays! I am pleased to report that the seats have been used and thus far have been fine since repair.

From the invoice regarding seat replacement:
Diagnosed and both the slide cables and recliner cables to not be functioning. Replaced the 40% second row seat. verified the seat functions properly.
and regarding ease (or not) of sliding the bench:
Verified passenger side second row seat was very difficult to slide forward and backwards. Inspected and found seat gap hiders required slight adjustment. Adjusted seat sliders. Verified seat is much easier to slide forward and backwards. Advise customer that this will continue to get easier as the gap hiders wear in over time.
I hope this helps!