Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X seemingly bricked—black screens all around, reboots don’t work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a lot of similar issues today. 200 miles from home.

Both screens black and vehicle will not move. Also had a couple of "park assist" notifications yesterday (this has been an ongoing thing).

We got out of the car and walked away for a couple minutes. Came back to normal operations.

Please let us know what you get for a fix.

Had a lot of similar issues today. 200 miles from home.

Both screens black and vehicle will not move. Also had a couple of "park assist" notifications yesterday (this has been an ongoing thing).

We got out of the car and walked away for a couple minutes. Came back to normal operations.

Please let us know what you get for a fix.
Required a "firmware update" at the service center. They said there was timing issue in the software where things were booting up out of order. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Glad to hear they think that is a "fix"......i think I'll start a ticket with service just to see if they can push me the fix over the air.

Sure was SCARRY being ssssoooo far away from home and getting the Black screens !!

Any news on this? Was traveling and screen went black, couldn't get it back on, but made it to the next charger. Once there, no screens and wouldn't drive. AC running and doors and key fob worked. App didn't and they ended up towing it in.

Now it seems to be fine after sitting at the service center over the weekend.

Rental car and I are home now. Anyone know if they ship it back or do I drive 12 hours to go pick it up once it's fixed?

2020 long range version

Last edited:
We have a 2019 MX, and two 2020 MXs (Dec 2019 and Sept 2020 deliveries) - all three have exhibited this behaviour. One vehicle had to be towed 100 miles from Breckenridge down to Denver. I spoke with my SA while the vehicle was being towed and he indicated that he'd had a couple of other MXs with the issue and it was due to a corrupt memory module. My vehicle sat for 6 days waiting to be diagnosed. Wednesday evening (5:15) I spoke with the service advisor (again) and told him it was unacceptable to still be waiting and asked who to speak to to escalate. He advised me that the Service Manager would call me that evening or first thing in the morning. I received a call at 9:30 AM on Thursday from the Service Manager advising me the vehicle was ready to be picked up - he offered all kinds of platitudes but basically they were swamped. As the SC doesn't open until 8am, it took them 90 minutes to diagnose and resolve the issue. I don't know for sure they replaced the memory module, but we're still seeing the Park Assist error and the garage door issue.

Some additional background - we rent Tesla's out so no we're not independently wealthy :D, when the vehicle broke down both screens were going black, our guest was a long time Tesla owner and figured to just do soft reboot. When they did, the AC remained on, main screen came back on but was unresponsive, cellular connectivity wasn't there (neither was GPS as we found out when we tried to nav to them and the vehicle), the vehicle was trying to do an update. Our guest did soft resets and a full shutdown (from the menu) and finally the vehicle was stuck with black screens and would not go into drive.

Within a week both of our other MXs exhibited some or all of the same characteristics and both refused to complete the current software download. After several tense moments when we got in to the car and the screen was black and/or wouldn't go into drive. I called our SA on a Friday evening (8 days after getting our stranded MX back) I left a message indicating my concern and asking him to call as soon as he got the message so we could formulate a plan. Eleven days later I still have not received a call - I have solved this to some degree. I was able to get the firmware to update by doing a factory reset after which it seemed to install just fine. We still have issues with Bluetooth and the user settings don't seem to "take" consistently - ie my seat and mirrors keep getting un-set even if it's me driving, leaving the car and then returning.

Final note - if you get both screens black and the everything SEEMS dead, it's not really, it's just stuck. Double Scroll wheels for 6 seconds then release and you'll kick off the boot process again. This has worked every time - although once it took two triggers of the reboot for the screens to come back.

All in all, I love my Teslas, but right now I hate the SC experience. Colorado has had a huge increase in Teslas on the road, so I've tried to be patient, but it pisses me off that if I make an appointment my car won't be diagnosed or worked on that day, and if I have it towed because of what is obviously a Tesla issue and under warranty, there is no special consideration. It's hard enough when it's your personal vehicle, but I lose money every day my cars are in the shop. Part of the reason we only have Teslas in our fleet is because the maintenance downtime is in theory much less than an ICE vehicle, however, one trip to the SC can take my vehicle out of service for longer than an entire year's worth of ICE maintenance.

We had a similar issue. Getting into the car on a Saturday morning after an overnight firmware update I noticed there was a message about a failed update. I proceed to double wheel reboot, wait for the reboot and then run out for some breakfast burritos. The UI was acting wonky during the drive in addition to the usual "Parking Assist Unavailable" messages, so when I returned home I rebooted again and it never came back up. The AC was still running, but both screens remained black. The car was like that (2020 LR) all weekend and by Monday morning was miraculously working again. The firmware had reverted. Coincidentally, we had a service visit to the local service center where I reported the issue, but they didn't say anything about that.

Note: We were also experiencing the Park Assist and disappearing SXM problems. The Service Advisor reported both of those were fixed with a replacement SD card. SXM hasn't disappeared since, but Park Assist is still an issue. Hoping the next firmware fixes it.

Since this is our primary vehicle, we only do firmware updates on Friday nights so we aren't down during the week.

Car went blank here also. On an out of town trip when it happened. Tesla couldn't connect to it and it wouldn't drive. Tried all kids of restarts, except the tire type change as the screen didn't work. Tesla towed it was and by Monday they said it was fine.
Starting to think they have a bigger issue than they know.

The very first post is literally the only post in this thread so far where anyone has reported a software version number.

From what I can tell 2021.12.25.7 has been incredibly buggy.

I am running that version and experienced black screens getting into the car the other day, couldn't drive it, did two scroll wheel salute, and waited *five minutes* for Tesla logo. Which is way longer than usual but better than the OP's experience thankfully.

Buggy for me. Hope the next update comes out quick.

As a side note :

Had someone tell me an X was in his future because he liked the Gull Winged doors. I explained they were Falcon Wing doors and of course I had to open 1 to show him why. As I was doing it I thought....... I have the trunk open, hope it closes without some kind of obstruction warning for nothing. Falcon wing door better close without messing up. When i ooen the drivers door i hope the screens light up........all on a hundred thousand dollar vehicle........

I love my X.......but come on Tesla, this is BS!!!!!

We have a 2019 MX, and two 2020 MXs (Dec 2019 and Sept 2020 deliveries) - all three have exhibited this behaviour. One vehicle had to be towed 100 miles from Breckenridge down to Denver. I spoke with my SA while the vehicle was being towed and he indicated that he'd had a couple of other MXs with the issue and it was due to a corrupt memory module. My vehicle sat for 6 days waiting to be diagnosed. Wednesday evening (5:15) I spoke with the service advisor (again) and told him it was unacceptable to still be waiting and asked who to speak to to escalate. He advised me that the Service Manager would call me that evening or first thing in the morning. I received a call at 9:30 AM on Thursday from the Service Manager advising me the vehicle was ready to be picked up - he offered all kinds of platitudes but basically they were swamped. As the SC doesn't open until 8am, it took them 90 minutes to diagnose and resolve the issue. I don't know for sure they replaced the memory module, but we're still seeing the Park Assist error and the garage door issue.

Some additional background - we rent Tesla's out so no we're not independently wealthy :D, when the vehicle broke down both screens were going black, our guest was a long time Tesla owner and figured to just do soft reboot. When they did, the AC remained on, main screen came back on but was unresponsive, cellular connectivity wasn't there (neither was GPS as we found out when we tried to nav to them and the vehicle), the vehicle was trying to do an update. Our guest did soft resets and a full shutdown (from the menu) and finally the vehicle was stuck with black screens and would not go into drive.

Within a week both of our other MXs exhibited some or all of the same characteristics and both refused to complete the current software download. After several tense moments when we got in to the car and the screen was black and/or wouldn't go into drive. I called our SA on a Friday evening (8 days after getting our stranded MX back) I left a message indicating my concern and asking him to call as soon as he got the message so we could formulate a plan. Eleven days later I still have not received a call - I have solved this to some degree. I was able to get the firmware to update by doing a factory reset after which it seemed to install just fine. We still have issues with Bluetooth and the user settings don't seem to "take" consistently - ie my seat and mirrors keep getting un-set even if it's me driving, leaving the car and then returning.

Final note - if you get both screens black and the everything SEEMS dead, it's not really, it's just stuck. Double Scroll wheels for 6 seconds then release and you'll kick off the boot process again. This has worked every time - although once it took two triggers of the reboot for the screens to come back.

All in all, I love my Teslas, but right now I hate the SC experience. Colorado has had a huge increase in Teslas on the road, so I've tried to be patient, but it pisses me off that if I make an appointment my car won't be diagnosed or worked on that day, and if I have it towed because of what is obviously a Tesla issue and under warranty, there is no special consideration. It's hard enough when it's your personal vehicle, but I lose money every day my cars are in the shop. Part of the reason we only have Teslas in our fleet is because the maintenance downtime is in theory much less than an ICE vehicle, however, one trip to the SC can take my vehicle out of service for longer than an entire year's worth of ICE maintenance.
As of Wednesday evening, our red MX wouldn't come out of the BSOD (those of a certain age know this reference :D ). I contacted Roadside Assistance for a tow and was informed that since my vehicle was out of it's complimentary Roadside Assistance (52K miles), I would need to pay for the tow myself. I asked why I should have to pay for a tow when the vehicle became unoperational during a software update initiated by Tesla and was told I could petition the SC for reimbursement.

I decided to try the Hard Reset (Battery Disconnect), and that worked to get the screens back up. I have scheduled a Mobile appointment to get this resolved in the meantime I was able to confirm there is now a service bulletin describing how to reformat the SDCard instead of replacing it, so I'm hoping that resolves this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: cobra
As of Wednesday evening, our red MX wouldn't come out of the BSOD (those of a certain age know this reference :D ). I contacted Roadside Assistance for a tow and was informed that since my vehicle was out of it's complimentary Roadside Assistance (52K miles), I would need to pay for the tow myself. I asked why I should have to pay for a tow when the vehicle became unoperational during a software update initiated by Tesla and was told I could petition the SC for reimbursement.

I decided to try the Hard Reset (Battery Disconnect), and that worked to get the screens back up. I have scheduled a Mobile appointment to get this resolved in the meantime I was able to confirm there is now a service bulletin describing how to reformat the SDCard instead of replacing it, so I'm hoping that resolves this issue.
Mobile service resolved the issue, in talking with the Tech, he first tried reformatting the SD card, but couldn't reach it over the ethernet port, requiring him to swap the card. My first reaction was that I would have rather had the quicker format and re-install, then after a few seconds of consideration realized I now had a new SD with no "wear" on it.

All cars went to SW 2021.25.7, then as of last night were "reverting" to 2021.24.4. Worth noting that with 2021.25.7 we're still getting the Park Assist error at highway speeds, although everything else seems much better.

All cars went to SW 2021.25.7, then as of last night were "reverting" to 2021.24.4. Worth noting that with 2021.25.7 we're still getting the Park Assist error at highway speeds, although everything else seems much better.
I believe you probably had 2021.4.25.7, which was then upgraded to 2021.24.4 (the DisneyPlus update). I still get the “parking assist unavailable” message.

Uh oh. I also had “Park Assist unavailable” and a lot of things were acting crazy. Falcon wings wouldn't open when using center console, doors wouldn't open immediately. I did soft reboot, power down, and wheel config change. Seemed to help but I'm worried it may come back. Running version 2021.4.18.2