Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X seemingly bricked—black screens all around, reboots don’t work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if what I experienced was the same as here, but I had a real weird (and first like it since owning the car) situation a few weeks ago while on the first real trip with my 2020 MX LR+ - I went to get the car from parking lot at hotel, got in and put in reverse and the backup camera came up, stuttered a bit, then froze and after a moment, I realized the both screens had frozen. The car still drove, and I could shift from park to reverse, etc. but worried there was some issue, I pulled back in to the parking spot and tried resets… it took several attempts and a long time for the system to come back online but it eventually did and all has been fine ever since. I believe at the time, I was on 2021.12.25.x - and since, I’ve been updated to both 2021.24.3 and very shortly after, .4 which prior to, I was receiving several of the mentioned park assist warnings, but since .4, haven’t had any.

Uh oh. I also had “Park Assist unavailable” and a lot of things were acting crazy. Falcon wings wouldn't open when using center console, doors wouldn't open immediately. I did soft reboot, power down, and wheel config change. Seemed to help but I'm worried it may come back. Running version 2021.4.18.2
My car is doing the same thing. Those two reboots haven't helped. Taking my car in in a few weeks. Besides the park assist which was going on prior to this, the disney plus software update likely caused this problem.

My 2020 Model X (currently has only 12,400 miles) has experienced the same problem - repeated center "black screen" outages + radio function (Sirius) unavailable on screen intermittently.

I did a simple reboot yesterday and the both screens went black. The MX will not drive at all - although there is power for interior lights, AC system is running and car remote Fob will open the doors.

I call Roadside Assistance and the rep only asked me to try one "reboot" with the two scroll wheels - when that didn't work she set up a tow truck pickup and my car is now at a dealer 1 1/2 hours away.

The service rep did not call me when the car arrived.

We don't have a second car and we were not given any information about a rental car replacement or Uber credits.

Very frustrated that a $104,000 car is so unreliable with its electronics - where the electronics are the dominant feature (after EV power) of the vehicle.

Tom in New Paltz, New York
Yep. This is exactly what I am experiencing right now. Waiting on tow truck. What was the solution?

They reformatted an SD card and it's been good since. Funny thing is, mine went in on a Friday after hours, when they went to get it Monday, they said it started right up. They reformatted anyways i guess, but I'm not sure they know exactly what the issue was/is. I've only seen in occur with 2020 models so far.

I still get the park assist unavailable alerts though.

2020MX LR+ same thing here. Needed a new SD card, but still in service.

It’s a faberge egg, I keep reminding myself.

5+ service center appointments, 2 mobile service appointments and 1 tow truck to service required in the first two years of ownership.

I guess I knew what I was getting myself into? 😳

Last edited:
The park assist related code is gone since 2021.36 installed.

Same here but a new update is available now but I'm very reluctant to install it since things seem to be working now.
What year are your X's? And how long have you been on 2021.36? I have a 2021 LR+ pre-refresh on 2021.32.21 and very rarely get the park assist error. I'm hesitant to install any updates now ever since my SD card went bad on me due to an update.

Got a park assist unavailable error today unfortunately. 36.5.5 is available but I'm reluctant to install.
Ugh...don't blame you. I've been on 2021.32.21 for about a month now with very little park assist errors. Homelink works great too. So, i'm hesitant to update. I had a notification for a couple of weeks now for 2021.36 and i've been putting it off. Last night, 2021.36.5.5 downloaded and i'm still putting it off!

Mine's a november build and I got a ton of these errors on .12 and to a lesser extent, .24. I have not had any park assist errors since updating to .36, and screen lag and etc. have been much better. Just installed 36.5.1 so I guess we'll see if I die

I hvae had more phantom braking recently. Maybe related to the broader AP revisions that pushed out? But otherwise it's back to 2021.4 levels of stability, finally. Until I accept another update that breaks it again anyway, which may have just happened...

Reactions: TeeeeeeDub
Mine's a november build and I got a ton of these errors on .12 and to a lesser extent, .24. I have not had any park assist errors since updating to .36, and screen lag and etc. have been much better. Just installed 36.5.1 so I guess we'll see if I die

I hvae had more phantom braking recently. Maybe related to the broader AP revisions that pushed out? But otherwise it's back to 2021.4 levels of stability, finally. Until I accept another update that breaks it again anyway, which may have just happened...
Thanks for sharing. Good to hear something positive. With the release of the most recent iOS app update, I'm going to hold off on updating until 2021.36.8 comes so I can get remove Sentry.

Chiming in ...,
This happened to me today. After The Repeated REBOOT/RESET Failures. What finally worked for me was to disconnect MAIN Power, and the 12 Volt Power for a few minutes...... After reconnecting, The Car Came back online. So I believe someone earlier said that disconnecting 12 volt did not fix for them, but did you also disconnect the first responder Main power Loop ? ... Hopes this helps the next person.... BNTW; Model X 2020 , 24K Miles... this has happened TWICE to me.... first time, towed to Service center and it MAGICALLY fixed itself..... Sigh ~

• Informative
Reactions: cobra