Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X September Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm ignorant on car production line, but when they can release vin's this quick, I wonder if they already have chassis stocked, just awaiting for orders?

At Tesla, Vin numbers are database rows. They become real later on when a chassis is built and comes together. Tesla does this to prepare for exports, financing and other things. Also, it could be a mental lock. You are less likely to cancel an order if you know "your Vin" is out there. Somewhere. Most car makers issue a true Vin when a chassis enters paint.

I had ordered a Model S 60 on 7/9, and on the last day before confirmation (7/16), I canceled and ordered the Model X 60D 6-seat. That restarted my week beginning on 7/17, and it confirmed on 7/24. Still no VIN! I called the DS today to ask how soon I would get my VIN, and the best he could tell me was "probably in a week or two". I'm surprised, and fully expect that I will receive it sooner... I will update when I get it, but as of right now (8:15 pm pacific), still no VIN.

Not to be a downer but I confirmed my order on early Jan this year 90D 6 seater and still haven't gotten mine. They are saying September for delivery but subject to change.

That's what makes me think that September is just a wild guess. It would seem very odd for people ordering in July to get theirs the same time as people who confirmed 6 months earlier (and presumably reserved some time before that?) Still hopeful, though.

I thought I read in one of these forums that someone ordered and received their X within a month of confirmation, but I can't find that again so I'm beginning to doubt my memory (possibly a dream or possibly it was 13 months or ...)

That's what makes me think that September is just a wild guess. It would seem very odd for people ordering in July to get theirs the same time as people who confirmed 6 months earlier (and presumably reserved some time before that?) Still hopeful, though.

I thought I read in one of these forums that someone ordered and received their X within a month of confirmation, but I can't find that again so I'm beginning to doubt my memory (possibly a dream or possibly it was 13 months or ...)

Of those posting in TMC that I have (I am sure others have more data):
The lowest days between Confirmation & Delivery
wongwarwick 75D 32 5/23/2016-6/24/2016 (California)
jsollender 90D 42 6/9/2016-7/21/2016 (Colorado)
Bishop 75D 43 6/14/2016-7/27/2016 (S. Carolina)

latest delivery
uidzer0 47 6/12/2016-7/29/2016 (N. Carolina)

Web site says "late Sept" delivery is available for an order of MX now (order + 7 day wait for confirm included).

Reactions: pshaffer
Of those posting in TMC that I have (I am sure others have more data):
The lowest days between Confirmation & Delivery
wongwarwick 75D 32 5/23/2016-6/24/2016 (California)
jsollender 90D 42 6/9/2016-7/21/2016 (Colorado)
Bishop 75D 43 6/14/2016-7/27/2016 (S. Carolina)

latest delivery
uidzer0 47 6/12/2016-7/29/2016 (N. Carolina)

Web site says "late Sept" delivery is available for an order of MX now (order + 7 day wait for confirm included).

That's awesome, 32 days would mean mid-August for me, even late August with the other numbers would be fast.
How did you find those if you don't mind me asking?

That also makes me wonder why Sean still hasn't received his yet if he confirmed in Jan.

I don't know why, but my production start for 7/25 pushed out to 8/25 with an estimated delivery date of 8/31-9/5. I am not happy but oh well.
Onur

Strange. What I would guess - some have speculated in other threads - is that the plant may be idled early in August for a week or two, like in 2014, for retooling or higher-speed production for Q4. Something like that. If they are moving production starts back 1-month, that is something to ask your DS about - if there is "wind" of a plant shutdown for retooling.

My DS emailed me today that my X will go in to production mid August and expect delivery late August-early September. Confirmed 5/24, 6 seater 90D, UHF audio, non-PUP, vin 144xx

Yikes - that's troubling to hear for me. When ours confirmed a few days ago, ordered almost two weeks ago, the order page stated "September Delivery". At that time, the sales rep said that they have been meeting and exceeding the delivery prediction windows, and that the time frame listed was usually a "worst case" delivery month because they prefer to come in earlier than projected. Let's hope he's right!

In looking online today at the new orders, it shows "Late September" delivery.

Based upon your window of approximately 90 days from confirmation, I would actually be looking at late October... I won't have any finger nails left by then!

Yikes - that's troubling to hear for me. When ours confirmed a few days ago, ordered almost two weeks ago, the order page stated "September Delivery". At that time, the sales rep said that they have been meeting and exceeding the delivery prediction windows, and that the time frame listed was usually a "worst case" delivery month because they prefer to come in earlier than projected. Let's hope he's right!

In looking online today at the new orders, it shows "Late September" delivery.

Based upon your window of approximately 90 days from confirmation, I would actually be looking at late October... I won't have any finger nails left by then!
Dont lose hope. When I confirmed my order, I specifically requested late august/early September delivery

I signed up for ModelXTracker and they allow an export of their data.
Looking at only the records with both Confirmed and Delivery dates there is a sample size of 297 records when I toss out the outliers (-283 days and 1213 days).

There are some questionable records that supposedly confirmed in Jan 15, only 3 then it jumps to Sept 15 for confirmations. There are some early records that are questionable with 23 & 26 days between confirmation and delivery with delivery either on 3/22/16 or 3/28/16, might be accurate, but seems odd.

All Conf. Dates -- 108 days -- 297 Xs
1/5/15 - 12/30/15 -- 126 days -- 142 Xs
1/5/15 - 1/12/15 -- 454 days -- 3 Xs
9/1/15 - 12/30/15 -- 119 days -- 139 Xs
1/1/16 - 1/31/16 -- 104 days -- 97 Xs
2/4/16 - 2/28/16 -- 65 days -- 16 Xs
3/2/16 - 3/31/16 -- 84 days -- 19 Xs
4/6/16 - 4/27/16 -- 72 days -- 18 Xs
5/3/16 - 5/21/16 -- 49 days -- 3 Xs
6/2/16 - 6/3/16 -- 47 days -- 2 Xs

Also, there are 60 records from April and 39 from May-June with no delivered date. It could be that they haven't updated the site (only about 1/3 appear to do so) or that they haven't been delivered yet.

Last edited:
Hidden Delivery Code.jpg
Got my VIN today! Also, on another post I read that you can look at the web page code and see the anticipated delivery date in a hidden field. I use Google Chrome, so I just right-clicked the main page and chose "Inspect". Next you would look for <section id="Selection-Delivery-Pickup"
A few lines below that you will see several dates. If I understood the poster correctly, the first date/dates are your expected delivery date. In my case, I noticed that the first dates are 2016-09-19 but the following dates for each month are 2016-10-01, 2016-11-01, 2016-12-01 - suggesting that the 9-19 date is the anticipated delivery date. (See image attached).

I'm hoping that is correct and will certainly add a post when I find out for sure!

Got my VIN today! Also, on another post I read that you can look at the web page code and see the anticipated delivery date in a hidden field. I use Google Chrome, so I just right-clicked the main page and chose "Inspect". Next you would look for <section id="Selection-Delivery-Pickup"
A few lines below that you will see several dates. If I understood the poster correctly, the first date/dates are your expected delivery date. In my case, I noticed that the first dates are 2016-09-19 but the following dates for each month are 2016-10-01, 2016-11-01, 2016-12-01 - suggesting that the 9-19 date is the anticipated delivery date. (See image attached).

I'm hoping that is correct and will certainly add a post when I find out for sure!
Those dates are estimates for the first available deliveries for anyone placing a new order. It has nothing to do with your specific order.