Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Service Center Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dmason25

Jan 25, 2022
NJ
Hey everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker. I could use some advice/insights from this group on my latest issue. My 12v battery died for the second time in 7 months. Had it towed to the local SC and here’s the reply:

“Upon inspecting the vehicle, the technician has found connectors for the vehicle side and battery side low voltage connectors full of water/dirt/corrosion. The vehicle side and battery side low voltage connectors will need to be replaced and vehicle tested again for faults afterwards. The 12v battery will also need to be replaced due to deep discharge. We have attached pictures for visibility...”. They also said that because the HV connector is damaged the car wasn’t utilizing the HV correctly and was pulling more from the 12v battery than it normally would, depleting it.

They said the only way the connector could be damaged is if someone removed the main battery and basically dropped it on the connector. There’s no way a rock or road debris could damage it. I’ve never taken my car to anyone other than Tesla. Who the hell would take a car in warranty to a third party garage???

Tesla is saying that based on my service history, they have never documented removing my battery or doing any work in the vicinity of this connector. Because of that they are saying it’s my responsibility to pay the hefty bill.

I’d love to lawyer up but the time and legal fees would quickly outpace the service charges.

Anyone have any advice or experience with anything even close to this?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• 5F65100A-54B1-4415-A6C6-70C1CBAC04E5.jpeg
    5F65100A-54B1-4415-A6C6-70C1CBAC04E5.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 146
  • C6540AD4-B6C3-4DCF-A347-E0D3485907C4.jpeg
    C6540AD4-B6C3-4DCF-A347-E0D3485907C4.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 112
They said the only way the connector could be damaged is if someone removed the main battery and basically dropped it on the connector.
Tesla is saying that based on my service history, they have never documented removing my battery or doing any work in the vicinity of this connector. Because of that they are saying it’s my responsibility to pay the hefty bill.
So wouldn't that mean it was damaged when installed in the vehicle as it was built?

My 12v battery died for the second time in 7 months.
[...]
They said the only way the connector could be damaged is if someone removed the main battery and basically dropped it on the connector. There’s no way a rock or road debris could damage it. I’ve never taken my car to anyone other than Tesla.
[...]
Wait... I'm confused. When it died the first time, who replaced it?

Tesla replaced my 12v battery on 5/26/21. 7 months later my 12v battery died again. This time Tesla saw some additional error messages pop up. They discovered that my 12v battery keeps dying because the connector from the main, HV battery is damaged, allowed water and debris into it, and the car is pulling more from the 12v battery than it should be. According to Tesla the only way that connector could be damaged is if someone removed the main battery. Tesla says that based on what’s been documented on their end that they’ve never done it. I sure as hell didn’t do it myself or have a third party garage ever touch it. Since Tesla says they have no evidence they did it, it now defaults to me. And now Tesla and I are at an impasse. Well, we’re not really at an impasse. Tesla’s official stance is either accept the $7k invoice and have the work done or return my loaner and have my MX towed out of the SC…

Tesla replaced my 12v battery on 5/26/21. 7 months later my 12v battery died again. This time Tesla saw some additional error messages pop up. They discovered that my 12v battery keeps dying because the connector from the main, HV battery is damaged, allowed water and debris into it, and the car is pulling more from the 12v battery than it should be. According to Tesla the only way that connector could be damaged is if someone removed the main battery. Tesla says that based on what’s been documented on their end that they’ve never done it. I sure as hell didn’t do it myself or have a third party garage ever touch it. Since Tesla says they have no evidence they did it, it now defaults to me. And now Tesla and I are at an impasse. Well, we’re not really at an impasse. Tesla’s official stance is either accept the $7k invoice and have the work done or return my loaner and have my MX towed out of the SC…
How long have you owned the car? Did you buy it from someone?