Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X service - couple of issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my P90D back after being in the shop for a few issues. Two issues were not fixed and I wanted to check and see if others are having the same or similar issues.

1. There is a reasonable size crinkle developing on the driver's seat bottom. Ultra White synthetic leather seat. Service center says that this is a known issue, there is no current fix and Engineering is working on a fix. I have 20,000 miles on the car. Any one else seeing this issue?

2. When the car comes to a complete stop or start from a complete stop there is a pretty loud groan from the suspension system. Service center says this is normal (and within specs) as the X is a heavy car. I have been driving with this noise for a while (only happens when the car comes to a complete stop or start from the stop) so I don't remember if this was noise was always there. Anyone getting loud noises from the front suspension?

Just got my P90D back after being in the shop for a few issues. Two issues were not fixed and I wanted to check and see if others are having the same or similar issues.

1. There is a reasonable size crinkle developing on the driver's seat bottom. Ultra White synthetic leather seat. Service center says that this is a known issue, there is no current fix and Engineering is working on a fix. I have 20,000 miles on the car. Any one else seeing this issue?

2. When the car comes to a complete stop or start from a complete stop there is a pretty loud groan from the suspension system. Service center says this is normal (and within specs) as the X is a heavy car. I have been driving with this noise for a while (only happens when the car comes to a complete stop or start from the stop) so I don't remember if this was noise was always there. Anyone getting loud noises from the front suspension?
Is it only start and stop or also when you go over a speed bump, potholes etc? I had what sounded like a squeaky suspension. Every little bump on the road, my driveway etc and it would make noise. SC diagnosed it to be sway bar rubbing on filter drier (see pic)
IMG_0519.jpg

Stopped into the SC today and got an appointment for fixing the severe wrinkle in my drivers seat. Tesla didnt squawk, they advised they would order the necessary parts for repair and have them ready at my appointed time. I complained a bit because the car is just 6 months old and I paid a premium for the leather, and I was concerned if it was this bad at 6 months, what could I expect when the car is 2-3 years old? Im also driving a 10 year old Mercedes with leather interior.....no signs of wrinkles or wear at all.

No squeaking at all when stopping here, 7K miles. I do have a small crease in the driver seat, passenger some even already with the ultra white seats. It isn't horrible but hopefully doesn't get too much worse. It does seem permanent, like a stretch that just occurs. I've seen their actual leather stretch/wrinkle some as well. Something about Tesla seats that just wrinkle more than others as also have had a couple older cars that have firm leather seats after 5-9 years even as well.

I have similar configuration and currently no creases on my Ultra White seats.

I guess the noise might be from parking brakes, not from suspension. It engages whenever the car comes to a complete stop. Try pressing brake pedal a bit harder until the car completely stops, then release the brake and/or shift to park. This way the brake discs are completely stopped so there should be no leeway for the parking brake pads to move against brake discs.

My MX with 5K miles has developed a seat crease in my tan leather.....looks like a car thats been driven 75K miles......is there a solution? or has Tesla disavowed any issue? Im seriously thinking of making a trip to the SC to ask.
Makes sense . . . . if leather / synth wrinkles / stretching is normal ... and creaks are normal ... and ghosting is normal ... then yea ... it's all good - cuz it's normal.
o_O

• Funny
Reactions: disagree
Makes sense . . . . if leather / synth wrinkles / stretching is normal ... and creaks are normal ... and ghosting is normal ... then yea ... it's all good - cuz it's normal.
o_O
Ha! Any second now an early Tesla owner will come in here and tell us about how bad early S or roadster builds were and we should all just accept it and we should have known that our cars would be poorly built and it's our fault and Elon and his dreamy eyes and Mars.

It's just part of what it is to be a member of the cult Tesla ownership community! :D

o_O

:oops:

:(

Reactions: SocalMS
Stopped into the SC today and got an appointment for fixing the severe wrinkle in my drivers seat. Tesla didnt squawk, they advised they would order the necessary parts for repair and have them ready at my appointed time. I complained a bit because the car is just 6 months old and I paid a premium for the leather, and I was concerned if it was this bad at 6 months, what could I expect when the car is 2-3 years old? Im also driving a 10 year old Mercedes with leather interior.....no signs of wrinkles or wear at all.
Will be interesting to see if they actually fix it. When I complained they gave me an appointment and apparently tried to smooth the wrinkles out (how do they do that - take an Iron to the leather!!) but finally said that this is an issue that is with the manufacturer and that they are waiting for a solution.

It would be extremely advantageous to this discussion if a good number of those who have mentioned seat creasing also would provide the body weights of the associated sitters. I don't think I have to detail the reasons.
190 lbs / 86.3 kgs and a total of 20 K miles. It is too early on Saturday morning for me to figure out the psi and the number of hours that my butt stayed on the seat for those 20 K mileso_O

Who talked about excuses? If the sitter weighs 80 lbs, and there is an issue after 2 weeks, that is important to know. If the sitter weighs 440 lbs, and the issue develops after 300,000 miles, that also is important to know.

I guess I had to detail the reasons after all. My bad: seems I assume too much regarding some of this forum's members.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike and robski

For 2., did you recreate the sound for them with a test drive? That would be a sure fire way for them to hear it and diagnose. There is a noise made when stopping and starting from stop as others have indicated. It is the brake hold function engaging when stopped or disengaging when starting from stop. This is different from an ICE vehicle. Mechanically speaking, this is normal. You'll also notice, when in break hold, if you turn the wheel, the brakes will resist the tires trying to roll and make a rumbling sound. Mechanically, this is normal as well. Again, different from an ICE vehicle. So, the sounds made are associated with the engineering of this vehicle and will become a normal sound you should expect.

On a side note and not meant for the OP but more in general, I have seen many complaints about comparisons to either technologies or mechanical differences from what the driver has gotten used to with a life time of driving ICE vehicles. The Tesla is different in almost all ways. Whether that is different good or bad is a personal choice. Sometimes I wonder why someone would buy a Tesla if they didn't expect different. If you wanted the same as an ICE, the Tesla purchase was a bad personal choice for that individual.

Last edited:
For 2., did you recreate the sound for them with a test drive? That would be a sure fire way for them to hear it and diagnose. There is a noise made when stopping and starting from stop as others have indicated. It is the brake hold function engaging when stopped or disengaging when starting from stop. This is different from an ICE vehicle. Mechanically speaking, this is normal. You'll also notice, when in break hold, if you turn the wheel, the brakes will resist the tires trying to roll and make a rumbling sound. Mechanically, this is normal as well. Again, different from an ICE vehicle. So, the sounds made are associated with the engineering of this vehicle and will become a normal sound you should expect.

On a side note and not meant for the OP but more in general, I have seen many complaints about comparisons to either technologies or mechanical differences from what the driver has gotten used to with a life time of driving ICE vehicles. The Tesla is different in almost all ways. Whether that is different good or bad is a personal choice. Sometimes I wonder why someone would buy a Tesla if they didn't expect different. If you wanted the same as an ICE, the Tesla purchase was a bad personal choice for that individual.
Yes I did. Yours is probably a better explanation than theirs (their reason - it is a heavy car!). My first concern was if there was anything wrong with the brake / suspension. Noise is something that I won't accept as normal but I am willing to give them time to fix it (either for my car or at least for the future gens)