Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X shudder--blown off by Tesla service. Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm unaware of anyone who's actually had a half shaft break. Have I missed something? Also, I understand that the refresh units are different, but still have some of the problems. Yes or no?
Mine actually broke on my 2019 X while driving at very low speed. Car was towed and shafts replaced. This was the only way Tesla actually died the issue even though I had brought the car in multiple times for the shudder issuebb

I have been in the market for a new car (my Model S is 8 years old and out of warranty). Today I test drove a 2022 (Raven) Model X Long Range. The car has only 15,000 miles on it. After driving it for 15-20 minutes or so on various roads, I found myself first in line at a stop light on a local divided expressway, so I accelerated harder than I had been (still not floored) and experienced a strong vibration in what seemed like the front end. Because of that, I tried again at the next traffic light, and confirmed the strong vibration. The owner said she had noticed it before but had not thought much about it. I had a vague recollection of reading about an issue with "half-shafts" and thought this might be it, so I suggested she have it checked by a service center, and she said she would.
But reading this thread, it seems as if what I experienced might not be the half-shafts issue. Since I have little experience with Model X and did not drive this one very far, I am not sure what sort of problem it is. I have certainly never experienced anything like it in my Model S. (Mine has coil suspension in case that matters.)
The other thing I noticed with this car was a noticeable amount of what I took to be road or tire noise, from stop. I was startled because the noise was so strong. Is this typical of Model X? I drove one years ago and do not recall such noise but could have forgotten. And I did hear noticeable road noise from a 2023 demonstrator, but not at such low speed. I am now wondering if the "road noise" might actually be another symptom of whatever is causing the vibration I felt on hard acceleration.
I am not likely to pursue this car despite its low mileage and attractive spec, mainly because of the road noise. But it would be helpful to know more about what might be causing either problem, in case I test drive other Model X cars....Thanks for any suggestions!

I have been in the market for a new car (my Model S is 8 years old and out of warranty). Today I test drove a 2022 (Raven) Model X Long Range. The car has only 15,000 miles on it. After driving it for 15-20 minutes or so on various roads, I found myself first in line at a stop light on a local divided expressway, so I accelerated harder than I had been (still not floored) and experienced a strong vibration in what seemed like the front end. Because of that, I tried again at the next traffic light, and confirmed the strong vibration. The owner said she had noticed it before but had not thought much about it. I had a vague recollection of reading about an issue with "half-shafts" and thought this might be it, so I suggested she have it checked by a service center, and she said she would.
But reading this thread, it seems as if what I experienced might not be the half-shafts issue. Since I have little experience with Model X and did not drive this one very far, I am not sure what sort of problem it is. I have certainly never experienced anything like it in my Model S. (Mine has coil suspension in case that matters.)
The other thing I noticed with this car was a noticeable amount of what I took to be road or tire noise, from stop. I was startled because the noise was so strong. Is this typical of Model X? I drove one years ago and do not recall such noise but could have forgotten. And I did hear noticeable road noise from a 2023 demonstrator, but not at such low speed. I am now wondering if the "road noise" might actually be another symptom of whatever is causing the vibration I felt on hard acceleration.
I am not likely to pursue this car despite its low mileage and attractive spec, mainly because of the road noise. But it would be helpful to know more about what might be causing either problem, in case I test drive other Model X cars....Thanks for any suggestions!
Change to very low and accelerate the same way. If there is no or the vibration is less it’s the axles.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
Change to very low and accelerate the same way. If there is no or the vibration is less it’s the axles.
I texted the seller this evening to see if she was able to get the Service Center to look at the car. She said she made an appointment for next week. But someone (probably the service writer) must have looked briefly at the car, because she also said they suspected the vibration was from the car's low tire pressure. I had noticed her tires were at only about 40 psi after driving a good distance, which would be low even for my Model S with 19 inch wheels. The Model X has 20" wheels, do not know what the recommended TP is, but it surely is higher than 40....

I texted the seller this evening to see if she was able to get the Service Center to look at the car. She said she made an appointment for next week. But someone (probably the service writer) must have looked briefly at the car, because she also said they suspected the vibration was from the car's low tire pressure. I had noticed her tires were at only about 40 psi after driving a good distance, which would be low even for my Model S with 19 inch wheels. The Model X has 20" wheels, do not know what the recommended TP is, but it surely is higher than 40....
42 is my 265/275 sticker I don’t know how under inflated by 2 psi vibrates. I run mine at 48 summer 46 winter.

• Informative
42 is my 265/275 sticker I don’t know how under inflated by 2 psi vibrates. I run mine at 48 summer 46 winter.
Agreed. Surprised that the recommended pressure is only 42! Unlikely that it is a tire pressure issue, then, although it might still be related to tires in some other way. Maybe she has a bad tire. She did say she had a puncture recently and had one tire replaced. Maybe it does not match or something? Just wild guessing. But whatever is going on, the road noise was noticeable even at low speeds and the vibration on acceleration was disconcerting, all on a car with only 16K miles.....

Agreed. Surprised that the recommended pressure is only 42! Unlikely that it is a tire pressure issue, then, although it might still be related to tires in some other way. Maybe she has a bad tire. She did say she had a puncture recently and had one tire replaced. Maybe it does not match or something? Just wild guessing. But whatever is going on, the road noise was noticeable even at low speeds and the vibration on acceleration was disconcerting, all on a car with only 16K miles.....
I seriously doubt it has to do anything with the tire pressure. For me reducing tire pressure actually reduces vibrations and roughness and have played with the range of 40-45 cold. 42 is the sweet spot for me and they get up to 45 warm. Note this is not with the garbage Continental tires that usually come with 20"s. I have replaced them with Michelin Pilots Sport AS4.

The vibration can often be reduced by running at low suspension settings, keeping tire pressures to the current spec of 45 lbs and having proper alignment.
Tesla has been working on this issue for years. Earlier they tried throwing parts at the problem and redesigning the 1/2 shafts. While many found relief, for others the symptoms came back.
Service is not :blowing you off: they just do not have a solution. Everyone is aware of the issue, but they simply have not come up with a long term solution. For many it just means not routinely taking off so fast.

• Helpful
I'm experiencing the same issue with 2023 MXLR, here is my service ticket (Sep 15, 2023) and fix but the issue is back again with less vibration. The Issue started around 6k miles.

Concern: Customer states: Other · Noise & 1. Vibration - When accelerating between 0 and 60, the pedal vibrates quite often and randomly

Performed re-balanced of all tires. also removed and replace both front half shafts to help reduce vibration. advise owner future software is under development to help further reduce vibration due to minor oscillations when motor torque is applied

Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - LH (Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace (See screenshot)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 8.44.26 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 8.44.26 PM.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
  • Informative
I'm experiencing the same issue with 2023 MXLR, here is my service ticket (Sep 15, 2023) and fix but the issue is back again with less vibration. The Issue started around 6k miles.

Concern: Customer states: Other · Noise & 1. Vibration - When accelerating between 0 and 60, the pedal vibrates quite often and randomly

Performed re-balanced of all tires. also removed and replace both front half shafts to help reduce vibration. advise owner future software is under development to help further reduce vibration due to minor oscillations when motor torque is applied

Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - LH (Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace (See screenshot)
Thanks for posting this. I just got my car back after having it towed with skids due to a pyro fuse and LV battery problem. I now have this damn shudder. I will use your post to see if they will address mine. Thanks!

23 MXLR I just picked it up last week. I feel this shudder when accelerating. Between 50 and 60 MPH. Felt like I was driving on the rumble strip (without the noise). I feel it occasionally (twice in a week), is this normal? Is this something I should be concerned about? The car height is set to auto, TP #45. Would assume it's the frontend because I feel it in the steering wheel.
Thanks,

@texasdoc what was the outcome of your service appt. Did they ever try to address the issue. I have an appointment with the south SC next week and am sure will hear similar standard response from them.

In general if this has been a design flaw with a potential safety concern for over 7yrs why has it not been reported to NHTSA? Why can't Tesla provide the interim fix that many got with N2itive kit while the continue to work on permanent solution.

I just picked up my MXLR 2 weeks ago and since day one have experience shaking / choppy vibration in the seatbacks during light acceleration. Comes on for a second and goes away but happens pretty often. At first I thought suspension related but now Im understanding its more acceleration driven but under light / normal acceleration. Never even launched the car.

I just picked up my MXLR 2 weeks ago and since day one have experience shaking / choppy vibration in the seatbacks during light acceleration. Comes on for a second and goes away but happens pretty often. At first I thought suspension related but now Im understanding its more acceleration driven but under light / normal acceleration. Never even launched the car.
I would get a service appointment before it gets worse, it may be a simple thing like an untorqued fastener. Better to catch it now.

First time floored it rolling out of a right hand turn from a stop I was certain it was the traction control pulsing to keep the front wheels from spinning. Nope. Now I’m so in tune with I I can feel them rumble on hard acceleration when the front lifts up slightly.