Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Shudder Problem - Questions about DIY and recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I am a long-time Tesla owner and first-time poster. I'm in a bit of a pickle that I need the collective internet brain to help me. My post is centred around my 2020 Model X, Raven model. Despite all the known issues, most notably the "shudder" problem, I love the car. I have a big family, and it is the best vehicle for us. I have been contemplating getting the new refreshed Model X. However, after scouring the internet, I noticed some reports that people are still experiencing the "shudder" problem with the refreshed version. :eek:

My first question to refreshed Model X owners: do you all experience the shudder problem?

My second question is centred around the N2itive alignment kit1:
  1. Has anyone done the N2itive alignment kit 1 upgrade themselves? Was it difficult? Do you mind providing some experiential feedback? I don't consider myself handy, but after watching all the internet videos, I feel confident enough to do this upgrade myself.
  2. Some people have noted that after the N2itive alignment kit upgrade, you need to bring it to Tesla to perform an "alignment." What does this alignment mean? What am I supposed to ask Tesla to do?
  3. I am from Toronto, Canada and would prefer to have an experienced technician perform the N2itive kit upgrade. Has anyone done this in Toronto or the surrounding area with a technician? Would you recommend them?

Can't help with #1 and #3, but for #2 you are doing a wheel alignment. You don't have to go to Tesla to do this, you can take it to any shop that does alignment. Although, like most services, not all alignment shops are created equal so you'd probably what find a shop that others have recommended.

Hi everyone,

I am a long-time Tesla owner and first-time poster. I'm in a bit of a pickle that I need the collective internet brain to help me. My post is centred around my 2020 Model X, Raven model. Despite all the known issues, most notably the "shudder" problem, I love the car. I have a big family, and it is the best vehicle for us. I have been contemplating getting the new refreshed Model X. However, after scouring the internet, I noticed some reports that people are still experiencing the "shudder" problem with the refreshed version. :eek:

My first question to refreshed Model X owners: do you all experience the shudder problem?

1. Has anyone done the N2itive alignment kit 1 upgrade themselves? Was it difficult? Do you mind providing some experiential feedback? I don't consider myself handy, but after watching all the internet videos, I feel confident enough to do this upgrade myself.
  2. Some people have noted that after the N2itive alignment kit upgrade, you need to bring it to Tesla to perform an "alignment." What does this alignment mean? What am I supposed to ask Tesla to do?
  3. I am from Toronto, Canada and would prefer to have an experienced technician perform the N2itive kit upgrade. Has anyone done this in Toronto or the surrounding area with a technician? Would you recommend them?
I looked into the same modification. My only issue is if something goes wrong with any aspect of the CV joints, axles, suspension, etc. It would void your warranty.

Can't help with #1 and #3, but for #2 you are doing a wheel alignment. You don't have to go to Tesla to do this, you can take it to any shop that does alignment. Although, like most services, not all alignment shops are created equal so you'd probably what find a shop that others have recommended.

Very cool and informative video. Thanks for sharing.

Hi everyone,

Half the kit is bolt on, the other half requires you to cut the OEM bolts.

I looked into the same modification. My only issue is if something goes wrong with any aspect of the CV joints, axles, suspension, etc. It would void your warranty.

Nope. The burden of the manufacturer is to prove your modification caused damage to some other warrantied part. They could not make the argument that lowering the car, which decreases cv joint angle which is protective, could cause cv joint or shaft spline damage.

Just get a set of front lowering links. Drop the front 1”. They can be removed and originals reinstalled in 5 min or less.

Is this a great solution. Not I don’t even call it a solution but it’s cheap. And keeps warranties intact.

it’s just a permanent chetah stance. Keeps rear geometry ok and reduces half shaft drive angle.

The fact that this is still an issue is silly but speaks to the magnitude of difficulty/cost the right solution is.