Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Shut Down while Driving - WARNING!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What city service center? Found a similar issue in the Tesla forum.

schigh | December 10, 2018
I don't have my M3 yet, but my husband drives a MX and a rat/mouse chewed the coolant hose. We found out because of a pool of blue liquid under his car. Called the SC and they said it was the coolant, not to drive it because it cools the battery. Car had to be towed an hour to the nearest SC where they determined a rodent chewed it. We've been on a war path ever since killing rats in our garage. They are creative little suckers and they'll chew what they can find. Good luck to you all!

With my daughter needing to get to daycare, I had no time to wait and figure out what to do, so I got in the car and started to drive, as I had no reason not too

You have all the reasons in the world to stop driving the car. The Tesla guy didn't say: it's OK, don't worry about, did he?

You had other choices, like calling a Uber, right?

I am a lawyer practicing in bay area and I used to do personal injury law. This "no reason not too" is a huge comparative negligence on your part. You will lose the case, I am telling you.

You have all the reasons in the world to stop driving the car. The Tesla guy didn't say: it's OK, don't worry about, did he?

You had other choices, like calling a Uber, right?

I am a lawyer practicing in bay area and I used to do personal injury law. This "no reason not too" is a huge comparative negligence on your part. You will lose the case, I am telling you.
Lose what case? No one is suing.

What you are arguing above has nothing to do with my point. What if I didn't look under the car? Let's go with that scenario.

1. I start driving, with no warning because I have no idea anything is leaking.
2. 20 seconds later, my car begins to shut down with a major alert..

All the following events still occur.

This isn't about getting in the car the first time or even seeing a leak, it's about what happened after that.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I'm as critical of Tesla as anyone else is but I can't help but wondering why on earth you'd even attempt to drive the car if it was leaking fluid? I mean... Seriously? Lets set aside Tesla's abysmal response here for a moment and focus on the fact that you willingly tried to drive the car with it leaking fluid. I have a hard time sympathizing with you when you noticed it before you even left the house and just went with it...

Your attempt to change the situation to a "what if I hadn't noticed the leak" doesn't materially change the issue with Tesla's response, no argument there but you really put yourself in that position by trying to drive the car in the first place. Furthermore, if we all really want to be honest here, had you not driven the car in the first place and just called roadside assistance like you should have, who knows how Tesla may have handled it differently?

I really want to get out my "Tesla service is going to kill this company" pitchfork as it's well sharpened and used often, but in this case, I'm having a hard time on this one...

Jeff

At this point, I am unsure what to do. I looked at roadside assistance, but I didn’t want to call them if this wasn’t a major problem and I could drive to the service center. Roadside assistance options didn’t show anything that applied to me, so I Googled what I was seeing.

I noticed people were saying it could be the coolant, but a warning would be present, which there was none. I also noticed a post that said it could be the battery fluid, which is very dangerous. It didn't look like battery fluid, didn't have an odor, and seemed more or less like Washer Fluid.

With my daughter needing to get to daycare, I had no time to wait and figure out what to do, so I got in the car and started to drive, as I had no reason not too. For all I knew, this could be windshield fluid. Remember, no warnings on the car so I took next steps.
Really sorry this happened to you. Having a child in kindergarten, I understand the need to get them off to school in the morning. I think where many here are having issue is the fact you decided to drive the car initially with the visible leaking occuring.

Thankfully you were able to safely pull over and get your child out, but to be honest I would have called it a day and stayed home, and let Tesla come and tow the car. You never know what could have happened or if something could be ruptured.

Again, hope you get things fixed, unfortunately you made an initial bad judgement call.

#1 is the right thing to do, you really don't want that huge battery pack going into thermal runaway.
#2 is a mess, completely unacceptable.

There seems to be very little accountability with this company. They are set up to do as little as required for as little cost. In this case they didn't do what was required, protect the operator. They should have simply done their diagnosis over the air and not required you to be involved. I would not have driven the car again until they specifically assured me it was safe to do so.

I will also point out that fluids from a car are not uncommon. The air conditioner drips water nearly all the time it is running and if the drain tube is obstructed it can drip for quite some time after stopping. So it is hard to know if any given leak is dangerous or not. If the car shuts down you would expect it to be clear about why!

Lol. Side comment - suddenly all these new users on this forum pasting negative comment on multiple threads. Reminds me of this $tslaq community on Twitter.

NVM me. Just an observation.

In this case if you have blueish green liquid under your car and you see it leaking in real time - better not drive it at all.

Also, I posted a similar issue for a different user who had rats eat his hose pipes, Tesla responded pretty quick.

It will be good to see the actual text exchanges with Tesla and what was communicated by both parties. If Tesla is incorrectly asking people to drive car when they are reporting liquid leak it's wrong.

But more evidence is needed as notorious $tslaq makes it tough to figure who is making up stories and who has a real issue.

1. I start driving, with no warning because I have no idea anything is leaking.
2. 20 seconds later, my car begins to shut down with a major alert..

At this point the car should have prohibited any further driving. A BMW for example won't start once the coolant pump reports a leak. (this is separate from the coolant level sensor, which triggered the warning later)

• Disagree
Reactions: Vm.one
Not really.
1. Fluid was draining with no alert. Alert popped up and I stopped driving and called a tow.
2. I’ve been in 6 times and each time had a slew of issues to address. Sorry, paying $100k for a vehicle and being ok with malfunctions isn’t my thing.
3. You’re not understanding my issue. This isn’t about my responsibility. Tesla put me in a bind. With no one answering my calls, the only person who will talk to me is giving me instructions to follow, as the expert.

I find it odd you take issue to this.

That's horrible what happened to you. I also had a bad experience recently.

Was service sympathetic? Did they comensate or give you extra help in any way?