TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model X Shut Off By Itself

Discussion in 'Model X' started by wqu06, Jun 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wqu06

wqu06 Member

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue:

I parked my Model X at work as usual today. When I was about to leave, I opened up the Tesla App to turn on climate control. For some reason, it would not let me do it due to the car having a low charge. Weird...because I charged it to 90% in the AM (drive to work and back is ~10 miles) so the battery should still be at around ~85%. I looked at the main screen of the app and it showed -- miles.

Luckily, a co-worker was walking to the parking lot with me so if it did drain that much in 10 hours, I would be able to hitch a ride home. Once I go to the car, I noticed that the dashboard saying "Car Off" and the MCU was turned off. I tried to hold down both buttons on the steering wheel to reboot and nothing happened. Finally I tried opening the Falcon Wing Doors to see if anything happens. The doors open and the MCU started to boot up. The dash showed a range of 195 miles and I drove back home.

Is it normal for the car to just randomly shut off like this?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Someone posted something exactly like this yesterday... car was completely off in the morning.... I would say, no, is the answer, it's not supposed to completely shut down.

3. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Pressing on the parking brake will turn the car back on. Why it turned itself off I don't know.

4. TessieX

TessieX Member

hmmm... mine has been "car off" several times after sitting in the garage...
    I quickly found out that I just have to press the brake and it turns back on. But if it is not supposed to do that, then I guess there is an issue.

5. wqu06

wqu06 Member

But does anyone know why the car would just randomly go "car off"? Seems bit weird that it would do it by itself w/out any input from the driver.

6. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

There's an energy saver setting that controls how aggressively the car goes to sleep mode. Make sure Always Connected is on and energy saver is off if you'd like to encourage the car to stay accessible while parked.

7. MasterT

MasterT Member

Check if your Energy Saving feature turned on (Controls > Displays > Energy Saving). I do have it on, so I see "Car Off" regularly
    upload_2017-6-14_23-41-53.png
    (manual, page 64)

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. wqu06

wqu06 Member

Interesting...will have to check this out later today! I wonder what the default setting for this is since I don't recall ever changing it. I've had the car for almost 2 months and yesterday was the first time it has done this.

9. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Regardless of default settings, new FW releases can sometimes trigger certain settings to trip to opposite positions. I usually check important settings after updates. If smart conditioning is also on, the car presumably knows driving habits/calendar/temps etc. and therefore adjusts and/or sleeps accordingly. Tap the break and it's back on, although if in a deep deep sleep it will display a message that requires a few more seconds to power up. Both my cars do this, it's all normal. Congrats, I hope you are loving your new car!

10. wqu06

wqu06 Member

Thanks! I have switched Energy Saving off. We'll see if it happens again.