Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Shut Off By Itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue:

I parked my Model X at work as usual today. When I was about to leave, I opened up the Tesla App to turn on climate control. For some reason, it would not let me do it due to the car having a low charge. Weird...because I charged it to 90% in the AM (drive to work and back is ~10 miles) so the battery should still be at around ~85%. I looked at the main screen of the app and it showed -- miles.

Luckily, a co-worker was walking to the parking lot with me so if it did drain that much in 10 hours, I would be able to hitch a ride home. Once I go to the car, I noticed that the dashboard saying "Car Off" and the MCU was turned off. I tried to hold down both buttons on the steering wheel to reboot and nothing happened. Finally I tried opening the Falcon Wing Doors to see if anything happens. The doors open and the MCU started to boot up. The dash showed a range of 195 miles and I drove back home.

Is it normal for the car to just randomly shut off like this?

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon
hmmm... mine has been "car off" several times after sitting in the garage...
I quickly found out that I just have to press the brake and it turns back on. But if it is not supposed to do that, then I guess there is an issue.

Check if your Energy Saving feature turned on (Controls > Displays > Energy Saving). I do have it on, so I see "Car Off" regularly
upload_2017-6-14_23-41-53.png

(manual, page 64)

Check if your Energy Saving feature turned on (Controls > Displays > Energy Saving). I do have it on, so I see "Car Off" regularly
View attachment 231374
(manual, page 64)

Interesting...will have to check this out later today! I wonder what the default setting for this is since I don't recall ever changing it. I've had the car for almost 2 months and yesterday was the first time it has done this.

Interesting...will have to check this out later today! I wonder what the default setting for this is since I don't recall ever changing it. I've had the car for almost 2 months and yesterday was the first time it has done this.
Regardless of default settings, new FW releases can sometimes trigger certain settings to trip to opposite positions. I usually check important settings after updates. If smart conditioning is also on, the car presumably knows driving habits/calendar/temps etc. and therefore adjusts and/or sleeps accordingly. Tap the break and it's back on, although if in a deep deep sleep it will display a message that requires a few more seconds to power up. Both my cars do this, it's all normal. Congrats, I hope you are loving your new car!

Regardless of default settings, new FW releases can sometimes trigger certain settings to trip to opposite positions. I usually check important settings after updates. If smart conditioning is also on, the car presumably knows driving habits/calendar/temps etc. and therefore adjusts and/or sleeps accordingly. Tap the break and it's back on, although if in a deep deep sleep it will display a message that requires a few more seconds to power up. Both my cars do this, it's all normal. Congrats, I hope you are loving your new car!

Thanks! I have switched Energy Saving off. We'll see if it happens again.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue:

I parked my Model X at work as usual today. When I was about to leave, I opened up the Tesla App to turn on climate control. For some reason, it would not let me do it due to the car having a low charge. Weird...because I charged it to 90% in the AM (drive to work and back is ~10 miles) so the battery should still be at around ~85%. I looked at the main screen of the app and it showed -- miles.

Luckily, a co-worker was walking to the parking lot with me so if it did drain that much in 10 hours, I would be able to hitch a ride home. Once I go to the car, I noticed that the dashboard saying "Car Off" and the MCU was turned off. I tried to hold down both buttons on the steering wheel to reboot and nothing happened. Finally I tried opening the Falcon Wing Doors to see if anything happens. The doors open and the MCU started to boot up. The dash showed a range of 195 miles and I drove back home.

Is it normal for the car to just randomly shut off like this?

I have been having the same issue recently, i park the car in my garage does not matter what time of the day, the car turns off so when i approach the car although the door opens but the summon feature does not work. I have to get into the car and press the brake to see it start up and drive it out.

This defeats the purpose of using the summons to take the car out safely with the mirrors folded so that it does not hit the sides of the garage door.

• Informative
Reactions: Radonculous
View attachment 231374
(manual, page 64)

I realize it's been a while since this thread has had activity but I ran into an issue this morning where the MCU was off. It apparently went off before 11pm last night because that's when it's scheduled to charge and this morning was at 80 miles around 45 or 50% It was plugged in with the blue light before I went into the house. Back in October I had the reverse issue where the MCU went off AFTER charging had already started and it didn't stop once it reached the set limit so I woke up to a car with 96% battery instead of 80%.

I'm quoting this because I'm trying to wrap my head around it and I'm probably over thinking it, but this confuses me. If I set Energy Saving to OFF it will turn the car to energy saving mode still at night? I guess another question and maybe someone knows, maybe not but is Energy Saving Mode supposed to completely take down the MCU?