Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Side Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if the idea has been previously discussed, but wouldn't having rear facing camera's potentially open up all sorts of interesting capabilities as far as warning solutions? I.E. when merging, etc. Furthermore I would imagine they could do things like highlight cars on the screen, etc to make them even more obvious to a driver at even a small glance? I don't know, I just think it's a logical step from many levels (not merely aerodynamics), moving everything to an electric/computerized system has many benefits and I don't doubt that regulators may be interested in approving this sooner rather then later.

I am not sure if the idea has been previously discussed, but wouldn't having rear facing camera's potentially open up all sorts of interesting capabilities as far as warning solutions? I.E. when merging, etc. Furthermore I would imagine they could do things like highlight cars on the screen, etc to make them even more obvious to a driver at even a small glance? I don't know, I just think it's a logical step from many levels (not merely aerodynamics), moving everything to an electric/computerized system has many benefits and I don't doubt that regulators may be interested in approving this sooner rather then later.

These are good ideas but there are problems that come up when you start to implement stuff like this. Soon people will start to rely on items like this. And when they do you have to make sure they work for all cases. What about motorcycles, mopeds, bicycles? All of these things are common on roads and already have a hard time with people not 'seeing' them (at least in most of the US). If people stop actually looking and trust the computer tells them something is there they will just go there.

As an avid cyclist (more so in the past) and bicycle commuter for quite some time this is a real problem. They started using low-res video cameras at intersections to detect cars waiting at stop lights. Most of them when they got put in would not detect myself on my bicycle, which caused safety problems because I would cross on red, or scramble over to the pedestrian x-ing button and then back onto the road. Where I could set off the induction coil loops with my wheels slightly cocked.

Another place where I see this action, and where it is dangerous is right next to my house. There is a intersection (2 way stop) where both directions are somewhat hidden by hills/curves. It isn't too bad, but you might slow someone up, or have to punch it. The recently installed 'Car is coming caution' blinking yellow light. People have started blindly turning onto the road when this is not lit up (there is a single solid, 'sign working' light). But one day the induction loop is going to miss a car, or not pick up a bicycle and the person turning onto the road is going to cause a serious wreck.

Automating some things ends up cutting out necessary critical thinking. And these sorts of automated warnings can easily start to do this. I admit they do help. But they also have serious problems with false security and need to be well thought out.

This may not be necessary. correct lens choice, chip size and placement could give you the entire field with one camera.

If they have to stick with side mirrors due to regulations, I think the rear camera could serve as an addition to the mirror to monitor the blind spot better. If they can get rid of the side mirror then that would be great. One camera on each side.

I wish I had taken a picture of the side mirrors on a Chinese van that I saw at an EV event. (ACP was testing an E-drive on it) I was struck the side mirrors had cameras at the outer tip of the mirrors. I posted this info elsewhere here.

Model X in red and white with side mirrors.

This graphic is from the Tesla Motors site:

ModelX.png

The first two are Model S and the third and fourth are Model X. Note the cameras have been replaced with side mirrors. I wonder if that means that they cannot get them approved.

Good find. I'm wondering if people thought it looked too strange too without side mirrors. I'm not sure if the general public would want that or no so maybe they figured an EV was enough of an adjustment for most people that ditching side mirrors wasn't worth it.

I was getting used to the look of the car without mirrors. I think it would take a lot to get used to looking down at the instrument panel for lane changes etc. instead of out the window to my left and right.

They could also intend it to be an upgrade option if they can get approvals.

I believe they quoted 5% efficiency increase without mirrors.

I noticed that, but thought it was temp (image changed back and forth on my computer during the outages). Prefer the colors they showed off before, but I'm perfectly fine with real mirrors. Could also see it being an upgrade as said, but then, wouldn't sig likely have it by default?

While I think it would be fairly easy to used to using an on-dash screen for side mirrors, most people don't drive just one car. Flipping back and forth could be a bit of a safety hazard.

Agree. When I turn on the Roadster's backup camera while driving (forward, just to be clear), it's a bit of a change from using my rear view mirror. Helpful information in heavy traffic, but, well, it's different.

Maybe a good transitional phase (for all cars) is to begin to offer both? I see no reason why the X can't have cameras on the actual mirrors as well. Do this for a generation or two of cars and people may slowly ween off normal sideview mirrors. Personally though, I find comfort in a tangible, non-mechanical viewport to what's behind me.

I think that would be a good way to make the transition. I can see MUCH more with the camera than the rear view mirror. But I'd like the projection to be up (similar to the mirror position), rather than looking down. (My eyes aren't off the road.) For the side mirrors, I'd vote on the display being in the upper corners of the windshield, respectively.

I'd be fine with both mirrors and cameras for transition as long as the mirrors could be removed without much hassle. It would be nice to try driving with the mirrors off and be able to put them back on easily.

The desire to have 5% efficiency as well as better visibility would really be a motivator to learn to use the cameras as quick as possible.

I think that would be a good way to make the transition. I can see MUCH more with the camera than the rear view mirror. But I'd like the projection to be up (similar to the mirror position), rather than looking down. (My eyes aren't off the road.) For the side mirrors, I'd vote on the display being in the upper corners of the windshield, respectively.
A thought on this that I floated before: replace all the mirrors with a HD screen in the same location as the current rear-view mirror. Make it wider so that the screen gives a 180-degree quasi-fisheye view behind. We're already conditioned to look there for rear images; why not consolidate all the images into a single place?