Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Side Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would never accept cameras if they were only one more app for the center screen, or if they were far below line-of-sight during normal driving (as in the center dash cluster). If cameras are to be deployed -- which I think is a wonderful idea -- we need to ensure that the practical and safety value is enhance, NOT diminished.

The folding mirror/camera deal where the camera operates when the mirror is folded in is genius. As for the camera displays, those should be near eye-level: dedicated displays just at the bottom of the windshield in front of the driver, or maybe at the lower-left and lower-right corners of the windshield, would be my preferred options. Looking down to check my side/rear views is a whole bunch of accidents waiting to happen... huge ergonomics fail.

Don't disagree, but my point was to activate the camera only when you turn your blinker is not a good idea. (I really should say the idea is nuts but that might get me moved to the snippiness thread) The whole point of the camera is to see if it is safe to change lanes then you activate your turn signal. Then again if you only rely on your mirror/camera to make driving decisions you may not be the safest driver to begin with. And I say this having driven in Boston traffic for 40 years without an accident of any kind. I'm sure part of that was during my training when my Dad would constantly tell me to use the mirror and to check with my own eyes:wink:

Misunderstood the context. We both agree that they should be constantly available.

I may have missed it up thread but is there any indication of what the cost savings and/or aerodynamic impact of cameras is? I know there is an impact but curious how significant.

The chevi Volt/Opel Ampera has this very big front spoiler down on the front bumper, GM said that this big think increasing range up to 10 %. But don't know if they mean 10% in comparison to normal front spoiler or to no front spoiler.

I would assume that side mirros increasing range more, but 5% seems to low?

Here a pucture of this big front spoiler:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Look how VW solvet that problem with monitors. They have monitors at each side in the doors.

Right: http://i.auto-bild.de/ir_img/1/0/6/1/9/8/5/VW-XL1-729x486-30df4b7378f9a5af.jpg
Left: http://www.autoweek.com/galleryimage/CW/20130221/GENEVA/221009997/PH/1/9/vw-xl1-geneva-dash.jpg

This car is the VW XL1 a little bit ridiculous but I postet it to show another camera-side mirror solution.

Great simple solution.

Interesting idea but don't like the fact you would have to look down. I would expect Tesla to come up with a better solution.

While we're at it tossing ideas, I'd like if whatever displays are used can use a little of edge enhancement e.g. silhouetting and/or have a red bar/frame fade in if something is there (from a truck to a bicycle) . The indicator that there's something there could also be used on the sides of the dashboard screen to make it intuitive without having to glance sideways.
But please no 'activation' procedure for the side images. They should always be available at a glance with no stem taps!! That microsecond glance could be the difference between an accident or none if the person in front of you slams their breaks and you want to do a quick lane change.

I'm pretty sure the Model X prototype they had on display was the same one that debuted last January in Detroit and made a couple other auto show stops. This one has always had real mirrors and seemed to be an indication they were moving away from the cameras. The renderings on the website haven't been updated so it's hard to tell.

That seems like big news. Since it's recent & in person. Can we quote you? :smile:
Could it be just Canada? We speculate constantly around here, and as timf points out, the website X still has cameras w/o mirrors. ML

That seems like big news. Since it's recent & in person. Can we quote you? :smile:

Sure... Right next to the "you can't add a twin charger afterwards." or maybe next to "Sure! You can get the rear seats at any time later"
or how about the "Just look at all these CHAdeMO places you can charge at along the West Coast Green highway - complete with map and everything!"

Sure... Right next to the "you can't add a twin charger afterwards." or maybe next to "Sure! You can get the rear seats at any time later"
or how about the "Just look at all these CHAdeMO places you can charge at along the West Coast Green highway - complete with map and everything!"
I sense much angst in you.

I prescribe 2 hours of driving with at least 10 rounds of 0-60 acceleration "tests".

Sure, I my wife recorded the testdrive on the Phone and I think the question about the camera/mirror and answer is even recorded. So proof is there ;-)

Could it be just Canada? We speculate constantly around here, and as timf points out, the website X still has cameras w/o mirrors. ML

Sure, I my wife recorded the testdrive on the Phone and I think the question about the camera/mirror and answer is even recorded. So proof is there ;-)

Wow!! Now we're getting somewhere! Keep it, if only for the future archives (tesla museum).
but I think deonb's post above, w the slightest hint of sarcasm, means we can believe it when we see it. Hearing about it, well that's a different matter. ML

I'm pretty sure the Model X prototype they had on display was the same one that debuted last January in Detroit and made a couple other auto show stops. This one has always had real mirrors and seemed to be an indication they were moving away from the cameras. The renderings on the website haven't been updated so it's hard to tell.

Or maybe they just want to be able to drive the prototype on roads. Cameras for side mirrors aren't legal (yet).