Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Ski/Snowbord Rack, awesome

Do you like this set-up aesthetically?

• Yes Looks Uhmazing, Love it

• No Too Cluttered or Awkward

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s Snow season... so I bought the tesla bike rack + Ski Rack, directly from the manufactures (via amazon) versus from Tesla, and saved a few hundred bucks.

The Yakima Full tilt bike rack (4 bikes), plus the Thule Tram Ski/board Rack works amazing, and looks even better than the tesla online photo.

Total cost $610 for both shipped 2 day, plug n play.

I did several test runs on my 90 to see how much percentage I would lose driving on a full battery, and suprinsgly the accessories did not impact my range at all as others suggested it would.

Anyway, I was able to plug in without hitting the tesla charging sign at the Superchargers (had to drive carefully) and the full tilt goes down without the boards hitting the ground when I need to open the trunk.

Drove on autopilot the entire way to Tahoe.

Attachments

• 8A0BDBAC-68CA-49E4-B4CD-BF1EEFF7F1BB.jpeg
    8A0BDBAC-68CA-49E4-B4CD-BF1EEFF7F1BB.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 2,691
  • 2CBF0D87-332A-4924-8815-ABDAF03B434B.jpeg
    2CBF0D87-332A-4924-8815-ABDAF03B434B.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 2,630
  • 2402DC92-CF42-46FC-B480-127C006F0ACD.jpeg
    2402DC92-CF42-46FC-B480-127C006F0ACD.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 2,306
Looks good - I need to find a similar solution for one snowboard and two sets of skis.

Good to hear you didn't experience any range reduction, that was my concern with this rack. Did you have any issues or anything that could be better about this set up? (did you drive in snow, did the boards get dirty with salt and grit?)

I was considering a vertical rack to try to keep the aerodynamic shape of the car:
http://bestskiracks.com/product/tow-bar-ski-and-boardtable-carrier/

Reactions: G1000Pilot
The only issue I had with this set-up was cost. However, I did save several hundred buying individually, and now I have a separate bike rack and a snowboard rack. I received a ton of compliments throughout our trip, thumbs up by other tesla drivers on the way to Tahoe and the charge station.

Our boards suprisingly remained clean and non-dirty.

Only negative*** do not press the trunk button if your not in trailer mode. But that’s not really a issue.

Looks good - I need to find a similar solution for one snowboard and two sets of skis.

Good to hear you didn't experience any range reduction, that was my concern with this rack. Did you have any issues or anything that could be better about this set up? (did you drive in snow, did the boards get dirty with salt and grit?)

I was considering a vertical rack to try to keep the aerodynamic shape of the car:

Interesting and looks good. Any reason you mixed manufacturers instead of sticking with one brand for both pieces? Did you look into getting a bike rack that swings out to the side instead of down?

Last edited:
Reactions: G1000Pilot
This is the exact package sold by tesla, minus the logo’s. I didn’t want to test out different configurations, and in fact tesla did a good job choosing the full tilt with the tram, works great and stable.

(I think tesla had problems with the Yakima ski/board rack, so they started using Yakima full tilt with the thule tram)

Interesting and looks good. Any reason you mixed manufacturers instead of sticking with one brand for both pieces? Did you look into getting a bike rack that swings out to the side instead of down?

• Informative
Reactions: pakman00

Is the bestskiracks rack (or something similar) available in the US?

Nice one. How well does the Yakima Full Tilt work with mountain bikes? I'm a bit wary of top frame mounted racks and generally prefer wheel trays for carbon framed mtbs. But then I do much prefer the look and simplicity of this setup. Can I ask what sort of bikes are you carrying? I need to carry two carbon framed heavy duty full-sus trail bikes and a couple of kids bikes. The latter would be easy, but not sure how well the carbon framed mtbs would sit on that type of rack. It would be great if others have experience and photos to share.

• Informative
Reactions: Black/Black MS
I need a rack that can hold 5 bikes, so it looks like the tilt is my only option (swing only holds 4). I can comfort myself with the fact that the tilt is considerably lighter despite being less convenient.

Does anyone have experience on the Yakima brand Hitch Ski vs the Thule Hitch Ski? The Thule is $60 more expensive than the Yakima despite appearing identical, but the Thule gets better reviews online and is the one Tesla uses for their branded version. Would appreciate any comments from someone who's used one or the other.

Yes fits both

Yakima Hitch Ski

Looks a bit heavy, I had read this review on the full swing set up, hope it helps!

Installing a Tesla Model X bike rack: once you go FullSwing, you can't go back

It’s Snow season... so I bought the tesla bike rack + Ski Rack, directly from the manufactures (via amazon) versus from Tesla, and saved a few hundred bucks.

The Yakima Full tilt bike rack (4 bikes), plus the Thule Tram Ski/board Rack works amazing, and looks even better than the tesla online photo.

I did several test runs on my 90 to see how much percentage I would lose driving on a full battery, and suprinsgly the accessories did not impact my range at all as others suggested it would.

Anyway, I was able to plug in without hitting the tesla charging sign at the Superchargers (had to drive carefully) and the full tilt goes down without the boards hitting the ground when I need to open the trunk.

Just used combo for first time today. When tilt is down and loaded it takes some strength to lift it back up. I couldn't get ski rack to sit well on bike rack. Had skis and board on one side and board on other. Ski rack slid sideways during trip. Thinking about trying the swing rack. Yakima ski rack had some bad reviews on REI site. Any suggestions?

Looks great!

Not sure how the boards affect range, but we had an issue with our bike rack (and 3 fairly heavy bikes) killing our range during a recent drive from AZ to CA. We won't be doing that again. We had to stop more than usual to charge. Thank goodness there are a lot of chargers on our route.

But... when we drive from AZ to CO (where we ski)... there are exactly 2 superchargers on our route and we were limping in to town on the one and only drive we made with the Tesla (during a fall vacation - no skiing). There's no way I could add a ski/snowboard rack to the car for that trip unless I wanted to drive 45 the whole way and I doubt it would work even then.

Just used combo for first time today. When tilt is down and loaded it takes some strength to lift it back up. I couldn't get ski rack to sit well on bike rack. Had skis and board on one side and board on other. Ski rack slid sideways during trip. Thinking about trying the swing rack. Yakima ski rack had some bad reviews on REI site. Any suggestions?
Just exchanged the full tilt for the swing and like it better. The Thule ski rack still doesn't sit right for me on the Yakima bike rack. Any tips?

I’m looking fo,r a ski and bike rack. Do you have a link of what you bought.

Reactions: jmcmill
I have the same setup (full swing with tram). It does the job but is very large, skis do get very dirty, and the ski rack is pretty difficult to load multiple sets on as you kind of have to hold them in place.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the Tesla to know there is an accessory rack on the back though? Trailer mode disabled too much. But without trailer mode, the car frequently thinks there is a car or bike or person or motorcycle behind me. Autopilot still works but I worry it will someday cause the car to overreact to something it perceives is behind me.