TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Sound System

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Blurry_Eyed, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

I was at the Model X delivery event and took a test ride in the car. The driver was careful to point out Tesla has put a lot of effort into the audio system based on feedback from Model S owners. I sat in the 2nd row and was very impressed with the audio system during the brief ride. The volume level was fairly low, but my quick impression was the system had nice clarity, solid bass and a nice soundstage, even from my 2nd row driver side seat position. It will be interesting to see how the system sounds once I can audition it more closely, use material I'm familiar with and move around to different seating positions.

But if my first impressions hold up, the Model X sound system should be a nice upgrade from the Ultra High Fidelity system offered in the Model S.

2. Newb

Newb Member

Found more info on the sound system: they really made it themselves! (!!!)

"Perhaps the biggest surprise, though, is the booming 17-speaker, 560-watt audio system -- an unbranded setup that Tesla designed itself with an in-house team of audio engineers. It doesn’t have a prestigious brand like Burmester, Bowers & Wilkins or Bang & Olufsen, but it pumps out tremendous amounts of bass without overwhelming the music."
    All your Tesla Model X questions, finally answered

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

they "made" the S system themselves too....

4. Newb

Newb Member

oh, really? Missed that info. :redface:

5. bwa

bwa Member

:smile::biggrin::love:

6. Blvr888

Blvr888 Member

7. marty2112

marty2112 Member

That is owned by Harman.... So the high end part is there (Mark Levinson, Revel, Lexicon, JBL..)

Hope to get more feedback on the audio capabilities and maybe a trip down to Fremont to see one in person.

8. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

On our ride, the Tesla rep also called out the audio and cranked it up a bit. Sitting in the 2nd row, also thought it sounded good at least for the short ride and the material they were playing (something light-jazzy). I noticed nice clean mid-range, solid imaging, good tonal balance.

9. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I also was impressed by the sound system in the Model X, when we took the test drive Tuesday night it really sounded much better than the previous system in the Model S. Do we know what the upgrade cost is for this?

10. Signaturex

Signaturex Member

Who usually puts in after marker sound systems and has tried this system and thought I don't need to with this.
    Usually I find even top of the range supplied is not great.

11. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

I put in the top end Reus Audio aftermarket system in my Model S and my very first thought when I heard the Model X system was, I probably won't need to upgrade the audio system in the X. But I was in the car for only about 3 minutes and I'll reserve my full judgement once I get a chance to really put the system through it's paces.

12. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I felt exactly the same, what I heard sounded quite good. As you say, will plug in my thumb drive and compare at some point.

13. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

LOL...might as well have thrown Bose in there...

14. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

#14 andrewket, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    With the short time I spent in the X during the ride, I was also impressed with the audio system. Much improved. I too have the Reus system in my S.

15. Phil Seastrand

Do we know anything about the standard hifi system? My wife is pushing back on upgrading and I'm trying to understand what I'm giving up.

16. goofballer

goofballer New Member

Has anyone compared Model X base sound system to the Upgraded one? I'm in same boat as phil; wife doesn't want to cough up big bucks for a stereo.

17. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Member

There was another thread on the forums somewhere that said (and confirmed later in the thread) that there are no speakers in the third row with the base sound system. I reached out to my sales guy to see what we heard on our test drive and haven't heard back yet, but I'm assuming that most of the cars have the best installed. Our DS went to lengths to reassure us that the sound is still "good" in the third row without them.

I have the base coming (can't change my order anymore even if I wanted) so I'll follow up if it's ever finished...

18. Phil Seastrand

We ended up with the base offering and I'm not disappointed. I'm sure the upgraded sound system is better, but for our needs, the base system is more than adequate.

19. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Member

Just to be paranoid.....even in the third row?

20. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Of course it won't be as good in the third row but you also don't pay as much. What the heck do you want man?