TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Sport ?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tpoltron, Mar 20, 2016.

?

Would you be interested in such a Model X sport?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

For those of us more likely to haul a lot of stuff than people, I'd like to see a variant of the Model X that skips some of the heavy, complex, expensive stuff. No longer needing baby seats, I'd prefer 4 normal doors and a second row with plain old manual fold flat seats. Maybe call it the 'Sport' as other manufacturers have done with their cost reduced versions. Getting the heavy Falcon door structure off the roof would surely improve handling and acceleration a bit and it would better serve people into outdoor sports as well with greater cargo capacity and the ability to use roof racks. With the reengineering, retooling and probably (very expensive) recertification involved I doubt it will happen but we can dream.....

2. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

Your not in the market for a Tesla then. Tesla builds game changers

3. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

We are on our second MS and are about to order a M3 and would love to replace our diesel SUV so might disagree. I'm not saying to stop selling the MX as is but that for my personal use case, which I'm sure some others share, a fully fold flat cargo area and ability to carry a ski box or kayaks on the roof would be more useful than the fancy doors.

4. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

Yup. I like everything about the X,except what happens behind the front seats. It might be a great people hauler, but Tesla missed the opportunity for it to be a great gear hauler by not being able to fold the seats flat, or even easily be able to remove the seats completely.

5. X Fan

X Fan Member

^^^^^
    There is nothing wrong with missing part of a “marketplace”.

Sure, Tesla is missing the Ford F series slice of the market but if they hit the volumes they require to be massively cash flow positive/profitable first that is more important. Mature companies, i.e. BMW, play the slice game creating X6 out of X5’s, X4 out of X’3’s, etc.

Tesla is not there yet and IM opinion should get mfg. efficiencies first and then put out low volume derivatives.

• Like x 2
  6. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

XFan as a business guy I totally agree with your assessment, though it doesn't stop me from dreaming for the market slice for me.

• Like x 1