Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Steering Vibration at High Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my MX in March this year with the following configuration:

Model: P100D, Full Options
Wheel Base: 22'' Onyx Turbine Black
Date Build: Dec/2017

When I drive at high speed on freeway above 80 MPH my steering was shaking lightly and shaking increase at higher speed. I brought my MX to Tesla service center and address this issue with service supervisor. First time, the technician did wheel balancing and alignment but it did not help much and there is only slight improvement. Second time, they did balance the wheel and do some calibration but it did not help. I am not sure what the cause of the vibration at higher speed, it is very unconformable feeling. I brought my car to service center for 3rd time and they found nothing wrong, the technician recommend me to setup the suspension at standard height instead of low and change steering mode to sport when I drive on freeway. It was help just a little bit and steering still shaking at high speed over 80 MPH. When I setup the steering mode at standard it even worst and if it is at comfort mode the steering even shaking more violently. I did some research and MX owners with 20 inches wheel most likely don't have this issue since it is smaller tire and tire performance (bigger wheel) trade off for stability when drive at higher speed. I am not sure this vibration issue is common for 22 Onyx wheel or something else contribute to this issue?

BTW: I always turn off lane departure warning while driving.

Thanks
Tee

• Funny
Reactions: K3Man
I’m not sure what kind of balancing machine they have. Some are just not accurate enough for consistent balancing at the speeds you are talking about. No matter how many times they try to balance, 9 outa 10 times it won’t be accurate enough for high speed.

From the factory it should be okay though unless a weight comes off. Not sure if Tesla uses sticky weights. Most do...

It’s been a while but the “Road Force” brand name balancer was the problem solver. But not many shops use it.

Same problem here. November 2017 build Model X 75D. Vibration above 80mph. SC checked balance, said OK. Took to Firestone and had road force balance done (they do my other vehicles perfectly). Improved, but still noticeable.
SC won't road test over speed limit, so they cannot verify symptoms. Catch 22 for now.

Some tires just can't be balanced very well according to my old Porsche repair shop owner. Maybe a little out of round. Seemed to be not uncommon. A new set would likely work fine. Could also be loose silencer foam in a tire. Yeah, above 80 MPH is most sensitive to this.

My X had sort of the opposite problem, a really bad vibration at low speed that smoothed out at high speeds. Turns out a belt had shifted in a tire (according to Tesla). Replacing the tires fixed the problem.

Unlikely the dreaded shudder if you still have vibration while coasting. If vibration worse with higher speeds and passengers can feel it too, pretty good chance it’s a tire balance issue. Had this happen recently, inspected the wheels and one of the stock on weights had fallen off.

Also had all other tires balanced and the tire shop said they weren’t balanced all that well from Tesla.

I got my MX in March this year with the following configuration:

Model: P100D, Full Options
Wheel Base: 22'' Onyx Turbine Black
Date Build: Dec/2017

When I drive at high speed on freeway above 80 MPH my steering was shaking lightly and shaking increase at higher speed. I brought my MX to Tesla service center and address this issue with service supervisor. First time, the technician did wheel balancing and alignment but it did not help much and there is only slight improvement. Second time, they did balance the wheel and do some calibration but it did not help. I am not sure what the cause of the vibration at higher speed, it is very unconformable feeling. I brought my car to service center for 3rd time and they found nothing wrong, the technician recommend me to setup the suspension at standard height instead of low and change steering mode to sport when I drive on freeway. It was help just a little bit and steering still shaking at high speed over 80 MPH. When I setup the steering mode at standard it even worst and if it is at comfort mode the steering even shaking more violently. I did some research and MX owners with 20 inches wheel most likely don't have this issue since it is smaller tire and tire performance (bigger wheel) trade off for stability when drive at higher speed. I am not sure this vibration issue is common for 22 Onyx wheel or something else contribute to this issue?

BTW: I always turn off lane departure warning while driving.

Thanks
Tee

Reviving an old thread I realize but have you had the issue fixed? I’ve got an X with 20” wheels and feel the vibration at highway speed as well. Wheels were balanced but no change.

I had the same issue on the first few days we took delivery of our MX 100D (pre Raven March / April 2019 build). I changed the suspension setting to Standard always and never auto adjust to Low and turned off my lane departure warning. Ever since then, I’ve never felt the wheels shaking/vibrating anymore. I haven’t experienced the acceleration shudder though, I tried flooring it a couple of times but no shudder.

I had the same issue on the first few days we took delivery of our MX 100D (pre Raven March / April 2019 build). I changed the suspension setting to Standard always and never auto adjust to Low and turned off my lane departure warning. Ever since then, I’ve never felt the wheels shaking/vibrating anymore. I haven’t experienced the acceleration shudder though, I tried flooring it a couple of times but no shudder.

Thanks but is that not advised against? To drive at standard because it creates/acerbates the acceleration shudder?

I had this issue in the back with my 22's when new. Tesla re-balanced but it remained. When I took it back they replaced the rear tires because they said they couldn't get them to balance to their standards. It's a low profile tire issue. Sometimes they just don't balance well with certain wheels.

I've had 2 sets of the conti's with the silencing foam and apparently the foam inside the tires can become dislodged and cause the vibration. My first set the originals on the car were fine. The next set I've had aren't great... I've had them balanced twice and its ok for a bit then the vibrations come back again. Needless to say it's the last set of tires I'm going to purchase with the foam in them.

Thanks but is that not advised against? To drive at standard because it creates/acerbates the acceleration shudder?
Yes, that’s what I’ve read Tesla advised / fixed the acceleration shudder problem by keeping the suspension on low setting always. I keep our MX in Standard for longevity of wheel tread and ride comfort. It’s safe to say that I haven’t experienced the shudder issue, yet (1500miles), only time will tell.

Raven owner here, just had the front tires rebalanced due to steering wheel vibrating at 75mph. I still feel the vibrating. It’s small but it’s definitely still there.

I have a long road trip coming up this weekend and hope it’s just the local roads but if not I may have to go back to the SC. I’m also going to try using just standard instead of low.

I have the same shaking, noticed yesterday at 140km/h. I have new tires already (Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 5), will go have them installed next week. Hope the balancing does the trick..

Did you happen to get the new tires on yet? Make a difference?

Post Road Trip Update: Pretty much felt a vibration at a variety of speeds throughout the entire trip. Service appt scheduled for next Wednesday 7/3. Comparing this drive to the Model 3 is like night and day, the 3 is smooth as silk, while the X is a vibrating mess. I just hope it's not something with the power steering, but I can visibly see the steering wheel vibrate (really need to watch it to see it) and can feel the vibrations in my legs and backside. Maybe the SC will replace the tires? Either way, i'm not taking the vehicle back from them until I DRIVE the car and can verify it is fixed. I just don't feel safe at the moment especially as a family vehicle.