TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Steering Vibration at High Speed

Discussion in 'Model X' started by teeng, Oct 11, 2018.

1. teeng

teeng New Member

I got my MX in March this year with the following configuration:

Model: P100D, Full Options
    Wheel Base: 22'' Onyx Turbine Black
    Date Build: Dec/2017

When I drive at high speed on freeway above 80 MPH my steering was shaking lightly and shaking increase at higher speed. I brought my MX to Tesla service center and address this issue with service supervisor. First time, the technician did wheel balancing and alignment but it did not help much and there is only slight improvement. Second time, they did balance the wheel and do some calibration but it did not help. I am not sure what the cause of the vibration at higher speed, it is very unconformable feeling. I brought my car to service center for 3rd time and they found nothing wrong, the technician recommend me to setup the suspension at standard height instead of low and change steering mode to sport when I drive on freeway. It was help just a little bit and steering still shaking at high speed over 80 MPH. When I setup the steering mode at standard it even worst and if it is at comfort mode the steering even shaking more violently. I did some research and MX owners with 20 inches wheel most likely don't have this issue since it is smaller tire and tire performance (bigger wheel) trade off for stability when drive at higher speed. I am not sure this vibration issue is common for 22 Onyx wheel or something else contribute to this issue?

BTW: I always turn off lane departure warning while driving.

Thanks
    Tee

• Funny x 1
  2. Sonic_78

Sonic_78 Member

I’m not sure what kind of balancing machine they have. Some are just not accurate enough for consistent balancing at the speeds you are talking about. No matter how many times they try to balance, 9 outa 10 times it won’t be accurate enough for high speed.

From the factory it should be okay though unless a weight comes off. Not sure if Tesla uses sticky weights. Most do...

It’s been a while but the “Road Force” brand name balancer was the problem solver. But not many shops use it.

3. bell2041

bell2041 Member

Check your front tires for something possible stuck on it. I had same issue, freaked me out, turns out I drove on some sticky black asphalt residue that stuck on left wheel, it went away after a day of driving

4. ThreePups

ThreePups Member

Same problem here. November 2017 build Model X 75D. Vibration above 80mph. SC checked balance, said OK. Took to Firestone and had road force balance done (they do my other vehicles perfectly). Improved, but still noticeable.
    SC won't road test over speed limit, so they cannot verify symptoms. Catch 22 for now.

5. animorph

animorph Member

Some tires just can't be balanced very well according to my old Porsche repair shop owner. Maybe a little out of round. Seemed to be not uncommon. A new set would likely work fine. Could also be loose silencer foam in a tire. Yeah, above 80 MPH is most sensitive to this.

My X had sort of the opposite problem, a really bad vibration at low speed that smoothed out at high speeds. Turns out a belt had shifted in a tire (according to Tesla). Replacing the tires fixed the problem.

6. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

7. NHK X

NHK X Laus Deo

Unlikely the dreaded shudder if you still have vibration while coasting. If vibration worse with higher speeds and passengers can feel it too, pretty good chance it’s a tire balance issue. Had this happen recently, inspected the wheels and one of the stock on weights had fallen off.

Also had all other tires balanced and the tire shop said they weren’t balanced all that well from Tesla.