Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Subsite Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be interesting if at the reveal event for Model 3 they will state that 70 version of Model X and S are dropped and that high optioned Models 3 and Y would be ready for production in the next few months and they will fill the gap of removed low end models for X and S. They will also indicate that they would be able to produce the "base" 35K version of Model 3 by the end of 2017.

I know it might sound crazy but it would be a bomb it happens :)
Hey, first post? Welcome to TMC!

You know as crazy as that sounds I had very similar thoughts this week - even though I only see like <1% chance for that. But playing with that idea for a second, I came to this possible scenario from a different angle. If they truly have a driveable prototype of this much more conventional Model 3 design (i.e. no Falcon wings, huge windshields etc. that can make it complex to build) than one must wonder how far they really are from production. Because if the only major gap to close is battery cost (GF 1 cranking out cells) they could decide to produce a really high end, high range version (50-60k?) early on with the existing Panasonic cells

Once again, very remote possibility and this is much more 90% fanboy dreaming and 10% fairy dust than anything else, but even the other, more realistic scenarios are exciting.

It may very well be, that for the average X buyer 70D is not a real option range-wise. So a new entry level model with the new cells used in the 90 may be announced (75? 80?). Also, as others have alluded to, 90s may actually be 100s with firmware hidden extra reserves that may be unlocked by paying a fee. We are also hearing Model S facelift rumors.

Whatever the case may be, it appears that the Model 3 announcement is not the only thing Tesla has up its sleeves. Whether they reveal everything next week or gradually, that's still a question, though.

It would be interesting if at the reveal event for Model 3 they will state that 70 version of Model X and S are dropped and that high optioned Models 3 and Y would be ready for production in the next few months and they will fill the gap of removed low end models for X and S. They will also indicate that they would be able to produce the "base" 35K version of Model 3 by the end of 2017.

I know it might sound crazy but it would be a bomb it happens :)

I think it makes sense for the following reasons
1) Recent statements that Model S price is going to rise. Why they are going to do it if they need to survive until Model 3 is released and deliver 90K cars this year?
2) The fact that they dropped the 70 model from X reservation
3) Drivable prototypes at the Model 3 reveals
4) Earlier leaks that two models would be revealed at Model 3 event
5) Deleted tweet from Elon stating that the next model is model Y with falcon wing doors
6) Leaked screenshot of Model X like looking car which is denied by Tesla but you never know.

Could this just be an example of the page inadvertently reverting to an older version? It's happened before so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happening again. The fact that the 90D badge is missing is a sign something isn't quite right with the page. There's no good reason for them to remove the information they did when it's all still available for order.

It seems like the content closely mirrors that which appeared immediately after the reveal when only Signatures were available. I would give it a few days and we'll probably see the 70D information added back.

I just did the math. If Tesla no longer offers 70D, 5 seats, or cloth seats, the starting price before the 7.5k rebate would be over 100k. If it is costing Tesla too much to make and maintain Model X's, it would make sense to decrease volume by only offering the higher margin configurations in the future.

What does not make sense in my opinion is if they simultaneously increase the price of the Model S, increase production rates, and introduce the future 35k car(s). If they did that, it would seem demand might become an issue for the first time for Tesla. It would make more sense for the Model S "price changes" to actually go a little lower or include more in the lower configuration price to maintain demand while waiting for the Model 3.

Assuming this wasn't all just caused by a web designer pushing the wrong file to the live site (plus, speculation is fun :) )...

I doubt they will eliminate a lower tier Model X entirely since a starting price over $100k would be a massive step back from the CUV/SUV market. They might re-position that way once the Y is released, but that's years away at this point. If they are looking to reduce some manufacturing complexity by reducing the number of options, I think a better positioning would be something like eliminating the 5 seat option, bumping the baseline battery to 75 (or 80) and increasing the starting price to $85k. This would roll the $3k price of the 6 seat option into the base price and add a bit of revenue to cover the bump in battery capacity - in addition to whatever cost savings there is from removing support (parts, tooling, etc) for the 5 seat option. With the tax rebate, this would still let them claim a sub-$80k starting price after tax effects. This would make the entry model a little more appealing overall while potentially boosting profitability (depending on the actual marginal cost of increased battery capacity and rear seats to Tesla).

Personally, I think Tesla shouldn't have presented the 70D or 5-seat configuration at all, since those cars aren't going to be built for many months. What's the point of getting locked into a configuration for 6 months? They should have a line on the configuration page indicating that 70D and 5-seat options are "coming soon".

Weird update to the site. The 70 is back, but it and the base 90 are now just listed as "70" and "90" vs. "70D" and "90D". Also, the 5 seat option is still not listed. Seems like an "oh crap, fix the site!" fix, though who knows if that's because it was just a web glitch or if the change was signaling any sort of real change to the car itself.

Personally, I think Tesla shouldn't have presented the 70D or 5-seat configuration at all, since those cars aren't going to be built for many months. What's the point of getting locked into a configuration for 6 months? They should have a line on the configuration page indicating that 70D and 5-seat options are "coming soon".

Yeah, but if they hadn't folk would've been upset about not having pricing information. Since they are selecting folks to configure, they can still control the flow of orders for 70's.

Weird update to the site. The 70 is back, but it and the base 90 are now just listed as "70" and "90" vs. "70D" and "90D". Also, the 5 seat option is still not listed. Seems like an "oh crap, fix the site!" fix, though who knows if that's because it was just a web glitch or if the change was signaling any sort of real change to the car itself.

Yeah noticed that too:

PZhsMZd.png

At least it lends credence to the thought that it wasn't an accidental reversion. Keep in mind both 70 and 90 do still say "All-Wheel Driver" under them, so it doesn't sound like they're making RWD versions at the moment.

Think of all the money they'll save on the D badge.

Maybe it's an indication that one of the announcements later this week is the end of rear wheel drive in the Model S - so they no longer need D on badges to distinguish the AWD cars from the RWD cars they aren't building any more?

Reactions: KaiserSoze