Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my X for about a month now, ~1200 miles in the full cloudless July/August skies of Utah and Idaho.. The front windshield is adequately tinted in my opinion and I have note even take my sunshade out of the package (stil in my fronk). I would however suggest tinting the driver and passenger windows. On a long road trip northbound the passenger was hot in the morning sun.. Poor guy was hot that afternoon coming home southbound!

I used the screen on our trip to Chicago from VA and the shotgun apreciated the use of the shade. She would have been in the direct sun otherwise. So,,I use it on long trips but then store it in the frunk.
Can't wait to use mine! Did you tint your windshield even more than standard? Deciding whether or not to do it. Would be great on road trips.

Can't wait to use mine! Did you tint your windshield even more than standard? Deciding whether or not to do it. Would be great on road trips.

No, factory tinting is aceptable for everyday use.

I think on the east coast, no tinting is necessary. Would even be nice, especially on cold winter days. Out here in SoCal, where it's sunny EVERY FRICKIN DAY, I think it's pretty necessary.... (I miss the seasons if you can't tell.)

I think on the east coast, no tinting is necessary. Would even be nice, especially on cold winter days. Out here in SoCal, where it's sunny EVERY FRICKIN DAY, I think it's pretty necessary.... (I miss the seasons if you can't tell.)

You miss the seasons, you should try south Florida. We have two seasons: Hot and Hotter.
That being said, my MX came with the screen in my trunk, but I haven't pulled it out yet. Fortunately the airconditioner (which sounds like a large hover craft) seems to keep it cool. Haven't tinted yet either, but may in future.

I TOTALLY agree. I'm here in San Diego and it can get really hot with the endless sunny days. I got my Model S windshield tinted back when I got it 3+ years ago and it made a huge difference with the heat. I'm still trying to figure out a local place that will tint it with one piece as I don't want two pieces as it shows.

I just got ALL the other windows tinted with ceramic film and it has made a big difference with the heat. Especially the front driver and passenger front windows. Most of these window tinting places will have a sample heat lamp and you can feel the difference with and without the tint. It's a huge difference. The only thing I regret is I tinted the back window as well and it made it really dark as it's already tinted. It's difficult enough seeing out of that tiny rear window but with the tint it's tougher.

But definitely glad I went with the tint as it's made a big difference with the heat reduction.

I TOTALLY agree. I'm here in San Diego and it can get really hot with the endless sunny days. I got my Model S windshield tinted back when I got it 3+ years ago and it made a huge difference with the heat. I'm still trying to figure out a local place that will tint it with one piece as I don't want two pieces as it shows.

I just got ALL the other windows tinted with ceramic film and it has made a big difference with the heat. Especially the front driver and passenger front windows. Most of these window tinting places will have a sample heat lamp and you can feel the difference with and without the tint. It's a huge difference. The only thing I regret is I tinted the back window as well and it made it really dark as it's already tinted. It's difficult enough seeing out of that tiny rear window but with the tint it's tougher.

But definitely glad I went with the tint as it's made a big difference with the heat reduction.

I got the entire top of the windshield tinted, not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Video:

I will post more videos after I get a new camera, any recommendations?

Interestingly in some states, GA included, it is illegal to tint the Windshield beyond the factory coatings. So the only option here is to tint only the top half -- don't want a line. After the first summer here at 95+ days, I have never needed the illusive Sun Screen. Waiting to see what it looks like.

Got it, seven months after getting the car. Thanks Tesla! Will drive around with it for a few days to try it out but if it spoils the view of the Fall foliage it’s coming down right away.
This thing now has five threads on TMC.
...threads/did-you-get-a-sunshade
...threads/k-mtg-captain-sunshade-model-x
...threads/sunshades-are-coming-via-mail-to-all-who-dont-have-one-yet
...threads/model-x-sunshade

Got it, seven months after getting the car. Thanks Tesla! Will drive around with it for a few days to try it out but if it spoils the view of the Fall foliage it’s coming down right away.

I still have to post my sunshade solution video, will work on it tomorrow

Reactions: SSD420
Oooh maybe I'll get mine soon too! I have the rear and fw door shades and they make a huge difference in hot weather & long trips.

I agree with those who say its not necessary in most parts of the country. I am in south Florida and August and September were VERY hot and I never took out the sunshade. I found the tinting to be enough. However I have lived in Las Vegas and Phoenix in the past and I can see in those two states you might need it. We called the sun in those states "the laser beam"

I haven't felt the need for the sunshade while driving thus far (haven't had my X for very long), but I did find it useful when I parked at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum for the USC v. Colorado game over the weekend...combined with windshield shades from my previous SUV, I don't think I'll need to buy a new one (at least for the front).

That said, I kept the sunshade in place during our drive home from the game (late afternoon)...which probably is the ideal time for using it.

As for the heat, the interior of my X got up to 109 degrees while I was watching the game (it was 90+ degrees inside the stadium)...I'm not sure additional sunshades would have helped keep the temperature from rising. I love being able to turn on climate control from the app. I turned it on when the game ended and the temperature was a perfect 70 degrees by the time I reached the parking lot.