Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
i heard now no more free supercharger for used Tesla Buyer's . other day i was online chat and i asked this question but they said once i buy used Tesla and activate on my name then they will take away free supercharge option and online entertainment subscription ?
its surprised me and i dont know when they started this because it was not like that . i mean i am going buy Tesla to save money on gas but if i still have to pay for charging then whats the point for buy Tesla?
in 2018 i had Model X P100D when i sold the guy got everything .
i mean now more competition in electric cars in market and Tesla should be more take care of their customer instead of taking away .

is any advise for that please ?

Thanks

search. there are many opinions. unless something has changed recently the general consensus is:

up to 2016.5 with SC/LTE that has never touched tesla will transfer. some people have free SC, but it is optioned as SC05, which is FOR THE OWNER ONLY and will not transfer.

somebody correct me if i am wrong

I've noticed the TMC forum itself now scans threads and, probably based on keywords, algorithmically recommends threads on related topics. When I scrolled down on this thread I noticed the thread below (linked at the end of this post) was recommended. ngng is right, there's a million of these threads, but the one below is fairly recent and seems to capture the current state of affairs pretty well.

Google keyword tip, FUSC = "Free Unlimited Supercharging"

summary: For the earliest supporters of Tesla back when Tesla needed the support, FUSC was a real open-ended promise, duly memorialized in the MVPA, and generally those promises have been kept. FUSC used to 'follow the car' , in perpetuity.

But once Tesla realized this was no longer a sustainable business strategy, specifically after model year '16 or '17, they began to limit transferability. First, they seldom offered any kind of free supercharging, limited or otherwise. They also worded these offers differently in a way that made it sound more like an add-on that could come or go (as opposed to part of the fundamental 'trim level' of the very car itself). Finally they started actually removing this "option" on lease returns and trade-ins whenever the car passed through Tesla.

So, these days, *most* used Teslas only keep FUSC via private party sales: once Tesla (or a dealer?) takes possession of it before reselling it, you should assume FUSC is gone.

2019 Free Unlimited Supercharging

Last edited:
...its surprised me and i dont know when they started this because it was not like that...

Contracts must be enforced and cannot be unilaterally changed but Tesla policy can change without any notice.

Owners used to get free tow for running out of battery at 0 miles left but not anymore. Some used to get free tire rotations but not anymore.

Those free things were not written on your bill of sale or a contract so they could be unilaterally changed and taken away at any time.

Back to your Free Unlimited Supercharging. For many, that was not written on your bill of sale or a contract so when a used car owner complains that it was taken away, it would be an uphill battle to get it back if it's never been on the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement."

For a while, Tesla does document Free Unlimited Supercharging as "$0" or "Included" on some Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreements, and as long as a used owner can show that, it's all good!

upload_2020-9-29_15-19-22.png

You think buying a 100k car to save $30 a month in electricity is a good way to save money? Boy do I have a bridge to sell you.
Hmmm...

Is it an electric bridge...?

But $30? Even in Indiana with $0.12 kWh, it's $12 to fill a 100kW pack. $30 doesn't sound like much driving in a month unless you like your bike...

Here in our $0.16 kWh location, I figure it's about $8 for a partial charge when we get about half way down.

Wow, South Bend, I've been out there a few times, had/have some relatives out that way.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Hmmm...

Is it an electric bridge...?

But $30? Even in Indiana with $0.12 kWh, it's $12 to fill a 100kW pack. $30 doesn't sound like much driving in a month unless you like your bike...

Here in our $0.16 kWh location, I figure it's about $8 for a partial charge when we get about half way down.

Wow, South Bend, I've been out there a few times, had/have some relatives out that way.
South Bend is fun.
Also realize I get to charge at home 97% of the time. Every time I go by the SC I see a sleb with FUSC sitting there on their phone milking the electrons.
I value my time highly. Not having to charge for hours a month to save some pennies is huge. One hour working more than pays for an entire month of electrons.

• Funny
You think buying a 100k car to save $30 a month in electricity is a good way to save money? Boy do I have a bridge to sell you.
Thanks for reply but i drive more then 300 mile per day 7 days a week . i am not going to buy a $100k for sitting in my garage . only Tesla is the best electric car right now in the market because they do super charger and thats why i can go anywhere in the states where i want . thats why i love Tesla. in past we had cross country and no problem for charging on the way . if i am thinking for charge at home only then i would buy KIA or HUYNDAI cheap car and will charge over night. ONLY TESLA HAS THE BEST SUPER CHAGRE TO DRIVE WHEREVER YOU WANT. Thanks and enjoy the freedom with TESLA.

With many of the older cars, like our December 2014 build, the supercharging is free for life no matter who buys the vehicle. Tesla can take it away if it goes through another dealer or through Tesla itself, but if you buy from a private party they cannot. So, an older tesla off eBay or craigslist? Again, make sure it's not a dealer selling it, you will not get the free unlimited supercharging then.

With many of the older cars, like our December 2014 build, the supercharging is free for life no matter who buys the vehicle. Tesla can take it away if it goes through another dealer or through Tesla itself, but if you buy from a private party they cannot. So, an older tesla off eBay or craigslist? Again, make sure it's not a dealer selling it, you will not get the free unlimited supercharging then.

it does not matter if a dealer is selling it. what does matter is if tesla has taken possession of the car (where they are within their rights to strip whatever they want).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H