Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Supercharging curves, 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some charging results from my 2019 Raven Model X Performance and the new LR2022 model.

This graph is Raven

View attachment 852520

This graph is new 2022 LR

View attachment 852521

Same V3 charger albeit the sessions are a year apart. The new LR can maintain over 200kW+ until approx 40% SOC and by 50% still over 150kW (154). At 60% its down to 123kW. On my Raven once I got to 37% the rate is flat around 92-94kW all the way to 71%. The new model is a game changer at v3 charging stations. At this point I have to rush my wife and kid to go take a bathroom break as the car will be ready when they get back! That's a real nice change for travel scenarios, drive ~3 hrs stop for 12-15 mins.

Hope this helps
Wonder if it will handle the new 300kw+ v4s.. would be awesome if it did. Speeds up site turnover time.

Same V3 charger albeit the sessions are a year apart. The new LR can maintain over 200kW+ until approx 40% SOC and by 50% still over 150kW (154). At 60% its down to 123kW. On my Raven once I got to 37% the rate is flat around 92-94kW all the way to 71%. The new model is a game changer at v3 charging stations. At this point I have to rush my wife and kid to go take a bathroom break as the car will be ready when they get back! That's a real nice change for travel scenarios, drive ~3 hrs stop for 12-15 mins.

It's better than the G/H pack 06/2020 but much less so, they probably have even more legroom to make it faster over time. G/H maintain speeds over 150kW up to 47% and 100kW up to 68%. At 47% the drop to 100kW is sudden though (a single step), so if the new one goes down gradually it's indeed much better here.

Hope this helps
Thanks @darhall993 - pretty much the exact info I'm looking for.

Very familiar with my 2017 S's taper but not nearly as such with new X's.

Curious to know if you've got more data points or insights to share.

Also curious to know if you've got any data from an urban supercharger too.

...basically trying to wrap my head around 'how long to charge from ~10% → ~75% on urban / V1 / V2 / V3 superchargers with a new X LR'.

Hope this helps

A very late reply but here's a story some of you might enjoy...

My first Tesla is a 2015 Model S 85D. Its SOC% + kWh is maybe around 100-105 during most of its charging curve (used to be 110-120 before various Tesla software "improvements"). A common road-trip for us is SF Bay Area to SoCal, where we'd often do a charging stop at Harris Ranch. If we plugged in to the V2 Superchargers there at some low state of charge, we'd have plenty of time for a meal before the car hit 100% SOC (an acceptable practice since we'd use up that charge right away once we got back on the freeway).

Earlier this year we pulled our 2022 Model X into Harris Ranch going northbound with low state of charge. I plugged in to the new "Coalinga" V3 Superchargers a few tens of yards away from the old stalls we'd used for years. Silly me thinking we could do the same thing as we always had, but we barely had time to order lunch, when I got alerts from my phone that charging was done, and I had to move the car before our food even arrived.

Game changer indeed!

Bruce.

Reactions: Rocky_H
A very late reply but here's a story some of you might enjoy...

My first Tesla is a 2015 Model S 85D. Its SOC% + kWh is maybe around 100-105 during most of its charging curve (used to be 110-120 before various Tesla software "improvements"). A common road-trip for us is SF Bay Area to SoCal, where we'd often do a charging stop at Harris Ranch. If we plugged in to the V2 Superchargers there at some low state of charge, we'd have plenty of time for a meal before the car hit 100% SOC (an acceptable practice since we'd use up that charge right away once we got back on the freeway).

Earlier this year we pulled our 2022 Model X into Harris Ranch going northbound with low state of charge. I plugged in to the new "Coalinga" V3 Superchargers a few tens of yards away from the old stalls we'd used for years. Silly me thinking we could do the same thing as we always had, but we barely had time to order lunch, when I got alerts from my phone that charging was done, and I had to move the car before our food even arrived.

Game changer indeed!

Bruce.
I’ll add to that. I also have a 2022 refresh. We had to make a quick weekend trip to Kansas City, about 550 miles (one way) two Supercharger stops. First one 20 minutes, top rate was ~255 kw (which it held for a surprising length of time). Second stop was for 10 minutes. In fact we overcharged a bit because it took us longer than that to walk to the restrooms and back.

I thought I had this one nailed, because we were staying in a hotel that advertised free EV charging. While the level 2 post was lit up, it would not charge. At least I got to park in the spot closest to the entrance.

2016 Model X 90D with the original 400V battery that is (for now) showing 14.3% degradation. 100% charge is supposed to be 224 miles, calculated by Tessie says that should be more like 160 miles - which it usually is. I still don't know why there is SUCH a variance between the calculated and the real world.

I use my X mostly for road trips. Here's a recent supercharger visit from 10% to 60+%, I usually seem to see around 60kw at 60% SoC. I also tend to see it peak nice and high, but only stay at that peak for a few SECONDS and steadily taper down. This one was a pleasant surprise to see it in the log that it held the peak for so long. It doesn't usually. Ambient temperatures were in the low 90s, in Florida.
Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 5.41.59 PM.png

This was on Thursday, and what I usually tend to see.
Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 5.43.05 PM.png

…If we plugged in to the V2 Superchargers there at some low state of charge, we'd have plenty of time for a meal before the car hit 100%…

Game changer indeed!
Can relate; had about 1h30m to go from 5% → 100% in my 2017 S75. Came to appreciate the option to have a decent lunch/dinner or gym time, assuming a venue was within walking distance…or even catching some Zzzz’s in the back seat.

First time I SC’d my X from 5% → 100% on a V3 I set my alarm for 1h20m, laid down in the back, caught a nap, and awoke to a ‘tsk-tsk’ message on my phone I’d be idling for 15m!

Made me develop a whole new appreciation for urban SC’ers (5% → 100% takes about 1h35m) if I need the time but suspect these will become a dying breed soon enough.

Also wonder if the 72kw max is better than v1/2/3 for those who need to rely heavily on SC’ers - Heavy Supercharger Users: Does Opting for Urban (72kw) and Shunning V3+ (250kw+) Supercharger Locations, when practical, Reduce Strain on Battery Pack

In all cases, the car is managing the charge curve - so it isn't going to allow the battery to be damaged by charging, it will slow it down to within whatever it has been programmed to allow. Not like you can rock up to a V3 with an old classic Model S and charge that 1800-cycle-battery at 250+kw... Not happening. The BMS won't let that pedestal exceed whatever the car's limit is, and it will control the taper the whole way. At the end if you are going to 100%, that supercharger is only going to be "supering" 2kw or less. Not really very super. Just keeping the supply at the max of what the battery can take within limits.

Reactions: bmah
...basically trying to wrap my head around 'how long to charge from ~10% → ~75% on urban / V1 / V2 / V3 superchargers with a new X LR'.
Following up from my prior post - have the following data to share.

Urban SC's sustained a max level charge (ie 68kW) from <5% for about 55m / 1h, charging the battery to ~70%.

2023-Urban SC X 2.jpg
View attachment 945855

For V3 superchargers the car sustained 250kW for ~4/5m (see pic below) bringing the car to ~5% to 33% in about 9m.

2023-250kw SC X b.jpg

...car sustained a charge rate in excess of 100kW for about 23m taking the battery from ~5% to 68%.

2023-250kw SC X a.jpg

Attachments

• 2023-Urban SC X 1.jpg
    2023-Urban SC X 1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 40
It has become actually worth it to route and plan your trips to charge at v3 superchargers and avoid the older ones that only charge at 135-150 kW. In addition to being faster, especially at the low end of the battery, the liquid cooling makes them charge more reliably in high ambient temperatures. The older chargers have handles and cables that can get too hot in the summer and reduce the charging rate even though your battery could take more. Further, the higher total power minimizes the effects of pairing with other vehicles if the station is busy.

Obviously, this applies only to Model 3/Y and refresh S/X. Older S/X cannot charge this fast anyway, so v3 superchargers offer fewer advantages for those vehicles.
When did the S/X change their charging capacity? Where can i find out?

In all cases, the car is managing the charge curve - so it isn't going to allow the battery to be damaged by charging, it will slow it down to within whatever it has been programmed to allow. Not like you can rock up to a V3 with an old classic Model S and charge that 1800-cycle-battery at 250+kw... Not happening. The BMS won't let that pedestal exceed whatever the car's limit is, and it will control the taper the whole way. At the end if you are going to 100%, that supercharger is only going to be "supering" 2kw or less. Not really very super. Just keeping the supply at the max of what the battery can take within limits.
How do you fare on roadtrips with that 90D?

How do you fare on roadtrips with that 90D?

How do I fare? In what way? Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking here. I'm on a road trip with my X right now, and I've already been through MOST of the lower 48 with it since I bought it just about a year ago. Been to California with it already, as well as across to CT via I-80 end-to-end, ND, SD, TX.... The list goes on.

What would you like to know?

When did the S/X change their charging capacity? Where can i find out?
Each iteration of the X and S charged faster than the previous version, but the big bump came with refresh (Palladium). Now they can pull down 250 to 260, and stay near that level to 40-50% SoC. Gone are the leisurely lunches with the vehicle charging. Now you have to hit a drive thru on the way in, and eat fast!

A 670 mile trip over Christmas, first stop, I charged for 30 minutes, followed by 15 minute stop, and a 10 minute stop. The trip now takes almost 2 hours less in my 2022, than it did in my 2018. All interstate and all at 80 mph (or higher).

Last edited:
Each iteration of the X and S charged faster than the previous version, but the big bump came with refresh (Palladium). Now they can pull down 250 to 260, and stay near that level to 40-50% SoC. Gone are the leisurely lunches with the vehicle charging. Now you have to hit a drive thru on the way in, and eat fast!

A 670 mile trip over Christmas, first stop, I charged for 30 minutes, followed by 15 minute stop, and a 10 minute stop. The trip now takes almost 2 hours less in my 2022, than it did in my 2018. All interstate and all at 80 mph (or higher).

What kind of wh/mi are you seeing on your X at 80mph? I'm pretty sure there is something going on with mine, I have two 2016 X90D that are only a couple months apart (otherwise identical) and mine is pushing 500 wh/mi at 80 when NOT towing. Actual range on a full charge is somewhere around 150 miles if I was to run it to near zero. Getting real tired of being unable to go more than 120 miles at a stretch. No errors in the system.

The other one seems to be around 340-370 wh/mi at the same speeds on the highway.

That’s very nice. I am very jealous. Right now, I am towing a 6 x 12 open trailer with a 4 x 6 enclosed sitting on top of it. Not a lot of stuff inside the enclosed trailer and at 70 mph I’m doing 890 wh/mi. It sucks.

Although, the charging speed is decent. I have seen 170 and it’s still charging at 32kw even above 80%. That’s on the original 400 V battery with approaching 1350 cycles and 150k miles according to Tessie.

Reactions: awokeinthelbc