Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - suspension arm broke with a 5 mile impact... is that normal.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear about your accident, but this problem in NO way appears to implicate Tesla.

Suspension parts take loads in specific directions; hitting objects with the car loads those parts in other ways and I would not surprised to see things break.

Get it fixed ASAP and put this in the rear view mirror . . . .

The picture does not show the whole wheel, was the wheel broken also. That black plastic trim can give enough to not show much damage and then allow the pole to impact the front of the tire. This will then allow 100 percent of the forward momentum of the cars weight to be placed on a suspension part that is not designed to have that force in that direction. 100 percent driver error, be happy there was not a small child "brushed" between the car and the pole, unless that would have been Teslas fault also. I've seen videos of the small overlap "brush" testing and they seem to do much more damage. As seen here.

That is not the X. They are vastly different in weight and suspension components.

That is not the X. They are vastly different in weight and suspension components.
I didn't say anything about it being an X in the video, actually even though they look so different, FYI do you research first, surprisingly they are not much different in weight, drive components or suspension components. It's just clever packaging, all manufacturers do it.

Last edited:
Hey guys am a brand new owner of model X and not a car expert. But need your help.

This morning driving into our garage complex my husband brushed a metal pole at 5mile/HR and broke the plastic rim and the suspension arm that dislocated the wheel out of the car. Am uploading a few pics so hopefully it will help in understanding my case.

My question, is this normal and should have it happened, would it happen in any other car.

We took to the service center and they said it's our fault it's because we hit the pole with the front of the tire, if pushed the weight of the car on the arm and it snapped.

I am no expert but that should have not happened, is this Tesla not owning to their responsibility?

PS: I have more if it will help.
Yes, this is normal. When one hits an immovable object with another object that is moving, the immovable object wins. Moral of the story; don't hit immovable objects.

Reactions: diesel
Hey guys am a brand new owner of model X and not a car expert. But need your help.

This morning driving into our garage complex my husband brushed a metal pole at 5mile/HR and broke the plastic rim and the suspension arm that dislocated the wheel out of the car. Am uploading a few pics so hopefully it will help in understanding my case.

My question, is this normal and should have it happened, would it happen in any other car.

We took to the service center and they said it's our fault it's because we hit the pole with the front of the tire, if pushed the weight of the car on the arm and it snapped.

I am no expert but that should have not happened, is this Tesla not owning to their responsibility?

PS: I have more if it will help.

Re-enactment the accident

Wow - OP is getting some stick here for their first post.

What happened to welcoming new forumees?

What the OP likely doesnt realise is there was a spate of false reports to the NHTSA about suspension failures some time back on the Model S, hence a lot of people here are a bit twitchy on the subject.

This is the only report of suspension damage on the MX I have seen on here (other than major accident of course) therefore there is no pattern of failure in normal use - as others have said in various ways,

I think you should just count yourself unlucky you must have connected with the post in such as way that excesive force way placed on the arm and it broke. Any sign of accident damage and quite understandably no manufacturer will take responsibility as no way can they possible know what forces have been involved.

Just a bit unfortunate, but hey get it fixed, move on and enjoy the car.

Reactions: Just a Reader
This is in NO WAY your husband's fault. However you are going after the wrong culprit. It would be very wise to sue the Pole making company and the owner of the property you hit it on. You will surely succeed in proving it was their fault. Just Google injury attorneys in your area. I've never seen a more surefire case.
I'm sure that post jumped out in front of the car. I know it's true. I've seen it happen myself. I'm sure you can prove it in court.

Reactions: diesel
Wow - OP is getting some stick here for their first post.

What happened to welcoming new forumees?

What the OP likely doesnt realise is there was a spate of false reports to the NHTSA about suspension failures some time back on the Model S, hence a lot of people here are a bit twitchy on the subject.

This is the only report of suspension damage on the MX I have seen on here (other than major accident of course) therefore there is no pattern of failure in normal use - as others have said in various ways,

I think you should just count yourself unlucky you must have connected with the post in such as way that excesive force way placed on the arm and it broke. Any sign of accident damage and quite understandably no manufacturer will take responsibility as no way can they possible know what forces have been involved.

Just a bit unfortunate, but hey get it fixed, move on and enjoy the car.

Better first impressions can be made.

Anyway in OPs case hopefully she will back once she is past the five stages of denial

Denial (the car made me do it)
Anger (why those meanies at Tesla won't fix it for free)
Bargaining (maybe I can ask them nicely to fix it for free)
Depression (My husband can't drive a car and we are just going to have to call the insurance company and file an at fault claim)
Acceptance (call the insurance company)

I guess that it would be normal in this case.

More and more vehicles are being developed using aluminum suspension parts (like Tesla). They weigh much less than traditional steel components.

They are part of the crash crumple zone computer designs to reduce impacts to the occupants, so it is probably an expected result when hitting something.

If it was made of steel, it probably would have just bent instead of broken. Would need to be replaced all the same.

Sorry about the accident. Glad that everyone is OK.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture