Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Suspension (very stiff) vs Model S Suspension (smooth)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you tried the local demo Model X to see how it rides?

Mine (June 2018) is pretty stiff if I have the tires up to their rated pressure of 45 psi. Lowering it to 40 psi, which is how the tires came from the factory, was a softer ride.

That's a good idea. I did ride in a demo Model X100D before I bought mine and the suspension didn't stand out to me but I think I'll do it again for a better comparison.

Reactions: jboy210
I have the same issue. Its bouncy and seems to "bottom-out" over small potholes or speed bumps. Have taken it to the service center twice now.

What did the Service Center tell you? I think even if I drive a demo X that is much smoother than mine, it will be hard to prove it to the Service Center that anything is wrong and debatable if they would even be able to do anything. But I'm determined to give it my best effort.

When I bought my 2016 Model X 75D used with 16k miles on it, the first thing I noticed was the stiff ride. The best way I can describe it is like driving a bobcat or a gocart. I feel like I bounce over every little bump in the road, like a bobcat. I tried to get use to it and for a while I mostly did, though it still annoyed me. But I have been driving a Model S for a couple weeks and jumped back into my X. The difference is startling. The S is SOOO smooth and nice. I want to keep my X but if this suspension behavior is normal I think I'm out.

So I'm wondering if this is normal or have others experienced this same thing. I took it to the Service Center and they looked at it. They compared it by driving another X and then driving mine then said it was similar. That was a few months ago. I also swear occasionally it is not as rough, which is likely when they drove it. And now after driving the S then jumping back in the X it's killing me. So much more stiff and harsh in the X.

Is it just me?
I just stumbled across this forum question while searching online for a reason that my Model X rides so rough! About a month ago, I bought a used 2016 Model X 75D. The ride is SO INCREDIBLY ROUGH that I can hardly stand it. I feel like my brains are going to rattle out every time I drive it. I'm to the point where I avoid driving it, which is so sad - I just bought it and, obviously paid a LOT of money for it. My husband has a model 3 and it glides down the road like a dream. I'm wondering if you ever found a solution to your rough ride??

I just stumbled across this forum question while searching online for a reason that my Model X rides so rough! About a month ago, I bought a used 2016 Model X 75D. The ride is SO INCREDIBLY ROUGH that I can hardly stand it. I feel like my brains are going to rattle out every time I drive it. I'm to the point where I avoid driving it, which is so sad - I just bought it and, obviously paid a LOT of money for it. My husband has a model 3 and it glides down the road like a dream. I'm wondering if you ever found a solution to your rough ride??

I've found that it's a better ride on the "normal" suspension position than on the "low". But still...

What wheels is it on? 20" or 22"?
Our MX 75D on 20" with OEM Michelins is pretty firm, but in a mostly good way. But it can get a bit choppy on very rough roads and I wouldn't want to move up to 22" wheels. I did drive a loaner MS 100D the other day on 19" wheels and that was certainly smoother riding over rough roads. It's clear that the X needs stiffer springing than the S to keep body roll in check, but I wouldn't call the ride harsh, at least not on 20" wheels.

Early on I stuck P85 and P85+ damper on a shock dyno to better understand the difference in damping. I ended up with + dampers converted to coil springs for my taste in ride. It would be interesting to put the X dampers up against first and second gen P85D dampers just to see how they compare.

Reactions: Peteski
Whenever Tesla revises a part, they APPEAR to keep the same part number, but the increase the last character. As an example, if the part number is 400-234-A, and they revise it, the new number will be 400-234-B (a third revision would be “C”, etc.)

Anyway, when I look at Tesla’s new online parts catalog, the latest part numbers for the front and rear air strut assemblies are:

Front
1027361-00-G and 1027361-25-E (note: Not sure what the delta is here with the “25”)

Rear
1027461-00-E and 1024761-00-G

You guys might poke your heads into the wheel wells to compare those numbers to your own air struts. For easier access, raise the suspension to very high. For the front you might have to turn the wheel left or right. Oh, and I often poke my cell phone camera in there to snap a pic of the part number labels.

Of course, even if there is a revision, we don’t know the nature of it and Tesla isn’t likely to just install a new set for fun or w/o pressure, In the past, for other cars, I have just purchased later factory parts and installed them myself. These air struts are very pricey though if I remember correctly.

My dad drived always good quality Mercedes and since 1 year he drive a model s and the only thing he dislike the tesla is the not comfort like air suspension.
I drive a BMW 740 and an Audi rs6 and over a year now a Model x and dislike the same.

I think the Tesla Air suspension is NOT a comfort feature its more a technique feature for lower consumption and better ofroad capabilities.
One time I was ofroad and happy about the high setting

For better comfort set the tire pressure 0.2 bar lower than optimum.
You can direct feel the difference from 3 bar or 2.8 bar like I drive my model x.

What he said, it's a well know fact in car tuning. You lower suspension it will get stiffer.
Ride on normal see how it goes, although Tesla now sets suspension settings to low as the regular setting.

Lowering suspension only gets stiffer if you also increase the spring rate at the same time. But they don't necessarily go hand in hand. Personally I can't tell any difference in ride quality between standard and low settings on my X. Obviously it has more ground clearance at standard ride height, which can be useful at times, but it doesn't feel any softer to me. It's a pretty firm ride either way, but not unpleasant for my taste. I prefer that to wallowing and rolling around like most large softly sprung SUVs tend to do.

The S rides better for sure, but has the advantage of being both lighter and has a much lower CofG, so needs a little less spring and arb rate to keep the body pitch and roll under control. It's a little counter-intuitive considering the X is a higher riding, longer travel SUV, but makes sense when you think about it. With the X they sacrificed a little ride comfort to make it handle more like a saloon/sedan than an SUV. For some owners that will be a positive, for others a negative. I was surprised how "European" it felt in ride and handling compared to the usual softer sprung US vehicles. That's presuming they don't soften it all up for the US market.

What wheels is it on? 20" or 22"?
Our MX 75D on 20" with OEM Michelins is pretty firm, but in a mostly good way. But it can get a bit choppy on very rough roads and I wouldn't want to move up to 22" wheels. I did drive a loaner MS 100D the other day on 19" wheels and that was certainly smoother riding over rough roads. It's clear that the X needs stiffer springing than the S to keep body roll in check, but I wouldn't call the ride harsh, at least not on 20" wheels.

The wheels are 20" with brand new Pirelli tires. I test drove a new model X last week and was DYING over how smooth it was. It was a completely different ride than mine. I'd definitely call my ride "harsh." I've even had passengers mention it to me that my ride is incredibly rough.

What he said, it's a well know fact in car tuning. You lower suspension it will get stiffer.
Ride on normal see how it goes, although Tesla now sets suspension settings to low as the regular setting.
It's funny because when I purchased the car, I had several people tell me "the lower the suspension setting, the smoother the ride." lol
So I set it to low. I'll try it higher today and see if that makes a difference.

I just did a little research and found that the model x does not have dampers. :(

It does have dampers, they are just built into the air spring units. Otherwise it would be like riding a pogo-stick!

The bad news is that these air spring/damper units are pretty expensive to replace. But if it's riding that badly then these are probably the issue. The air springs themselves are probably not leaking otherwise you would have had a warning on the dash, but the hydraulic damper units could be shot. You need to get it checked out by your local SC to confirm.

Last edited:
It's funny because when I purchased the car, I had several people tell me "the lower the suspension setting, the smoother the ride." lol
So I set it to low. I'll try it higher today and see if that makes a difference.
Lowering the suspension on a spring car does stiffen it, but not on an air suspension. It requires more air pressure to raise the suspension, ergo added stiffness. Furthermore, the increase in ride height makes for greater movement in the cabin, so a rougher ride. Think of an earthquake on the 10th floor vs the first floor. The car is at its most comfortable in low regarding small bump compliance.

The biggest factor in ride comfort on a MX will be the size of the wheels, the type of tires, and the tire pressure.

Lowering the suspension on a spring car does stiffen it.

Well only if you change the spring for one with a stiffer rate, which you often would when lowering the car. For those cars (usually track focused) that have adjustable spring platforms, lowering the suspension has no effect on wheel rates (stiffness), at least not until you run into the bump stops!

I agree with you about adding air pressure in a Tesla strut increasing stiffness and ride height together. But in practice I can't tell any significant difference in ride quality between low and standard ride heights, but low definitely handles better as you would expect from the lowered CofG.