Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Suspension (very stiff) vs Model S Suspension (smooth)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does have dampers, they are just built into the air spring units. Otherwise it would be like riding a pogo-stick!

The bad news is that these air spring/damper units are pretty expensive to replace. But if it's riding that badly then these are probably the issue. The air springs themselves are probably not leaking otherwise you would have had a warning on the dash, but the hydraulic damper units could be shot. You need to get it checked out by your local SC to confirm.
Thanks for the info. I guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet , haha (ie: no dampers on an X). I'll be taking it into Tesla service soon to get this checked out. I sure hope they can help me!

Lowering the suspension on a spring car does stiffen it, but not on an air suspension. It requires more air pressure to raise the suspension, ergo added stiffness. Furthermore, the increase in ride height makes for greater movement in the cabin, so a rougher ride. Think of an earthquake on the 10th floor vs the first floor. The car is at its most comfortable in low regarding small bump compliance.

The biggest factor in ride comfort on a MX will be the size of the wheels, the type of tires, and the tire pressure.
The earthquake example makes perfect sense. What would you recommend I keep my tire pressure at to soften the ride a bit? (I literally know very little about all this stuff - I'm a stay-at-home mom...ask me about the best way to clean your wood floors or the best laundry soap to use or the best cream to get rid of diaper rash and I've got you covered! But cars, uuum, not a chance.)

The earthquake example makes perfect sense. What would you recommend I keep my tire pressure at to soften the ride a bit? (I literally know very little about all this stuff - I'm a stay-at-home mom...ask me about the best way to clean your wood floors or the best laundry soap to use or the best cream to get rid of diaper rash and I've got you covered! But cars, uuum, not a chance.)

I wouldn't go below the factory recommended 42 psi cold all round for both safety and tyre wear.

Reactions: themaryannie
I wouldn't go below the factory recommended 42 psi cold all round for both safety and tyre wear.
Safety definitely comes before comfort! I'll leave the tire pressure as it and I'll take the car into Tesla service and see if they can do anything about the roughness of the ride. (Also I notice you live in Milton Keynes...my family and I used to live in Huntingdon, not far from you. We're American, living in the US now, but our time in the UK was the best three years ever! Such a beautiful country. Glad to know there are Tesla fans there, too!)

Safety definitely comes before comfort! I'll leave the tire pressure as it and I'll take the car into Tesla service and see if they can do anything about the roughness of the ride. (Also I notice you live in Milton Keynes...my family and I used to live in Huntingdon, not far from you. We're American, living in the US now, but our time in the UK was the best three years ever! Such a beautiful country. Glad to know there are Tesla fans there, too!)

It's a small world as they say :) Utah looks pretty cool too, especially being a keen skier and mountain biker! We often go biking over in Thetford Forest, only a few miles East of Huntingdon.

Hope the service centre can sort out your suspension as it doesn't sound normal to me. The ride on mine is on the firm side but certainly not rough.

It's a small world as they say :) Utah looks pretty cool too, especially being a keen skier and mountain biker! We often go biking over in Thetford Forest, only a few miles East of Huntingdon.

Hope the service centre can sort out your suspension as it doesn't sound normal to me. The ride on mine is on the firm side but certainly not rough.
Come visit Utah! Best skiing snow in the world, in my humble opinion! :)

Come visit Utah! Best skiing snow in the world, in my humble opinion! :)

I can believe that, although it's pretty good out in BC too (we have a condo there so I'm a bit biased!). Seriously though if we didn't own a ski condo in BC, Utah would be right at the very top of my skiing bucket list. Europe is obviously a lot closer for us and there is some great skiing there too, but I've long preferred the North American ski vibe :)

When I bought my 2016 Model X 75D used with 16k miles on it, the first thing I noticed was the stiff ride. The best way I can describe it is like driving a bobcat or a gocart. I feel like I bounce over every little bump in the road, like a bobcat. I tried to get use to it and for a while I mostly did, though it still annoyed me. But I have been driving a Model S for a couple weeks and jumped back into my X. The difference is startling. The S is SOOO smooth and nice. I want to keep my X but if this suspension behavior is normal I think I'm out.

So I'm wondering if this is normal or have others experienced this same thing. I took it to the Service Center and they looked at it. They compared it by driving another X and then driving mine then said it was similar. That was a few months ago. I also swear occasionally it is not as rough, which is likely when they drove it. And now after driving the S then jumping back in the X it's killing me. So much more stiff and harsh in the X.

Is it just me?
Any updated with this? Did you put pressure on the SC.

I have a X100D from April 2019 (right before Raven), and I find the ride to be way to soft. I actually get seasick while driving long trips with the original 20Inch wheels. 22inch wheels gives a little bit better ride, but still to soft.

I borrowed a 2016 P90D loaner, and the ride is much firmer even with 19 inch wheels. Feels much better to drive.

When did they change the suspension, and what is the difference? Are the sway bars different, or just the dampers?
Are there different suspension on performance and regular model x, or are the differences just related to production date?

Are there any way to upgrade mye X100D suspension to be firmer? (Thicker sway-bars, or different dampers?)
Any way to retrofit Raven dampers? (electronic adjustable dampers).

I have a late 2016 Model X 75D (with air suspension as it is the only option) and an April 2017 Model S 60 (with coil). The S is much smoother. I compare the X with my friend's 2017 and newer X, the ride is much better. I believe that there are problems with the 2016 but Tesla won't admit it. My X ride like a Home Depot flat bed shopping cart with no suspension.

Tesla must have taken notice. One of the major enhancements of the new RAVEN is the addition of adaptable suspension. It offers two settings, Sport and Comfort.
The Comfort is much smoother, quieter, softer and makes the entire vehicle seem more solidly built.

The Sport tightens things up and provides dramatically flatter handling. Feels like they took 500 lbs off the roof. Much more nimble and agile through twisty roads or high speed sweepers. Believe this was developed as part of their new Plaid configuration. They have rolled it out in the RAVEN and already made several OTA updates to make it even more capable at +100 MPH speeds.

I used it a couple weeks ago on HWY 33 above Ojai. Totally transformed the car as a comfortable cruiser and also as a high speed Grand Tourismo charger.

When I bought my 2016 Model X 75D used with 16k miles on it, the first thing I noticed was the stiff ride. The best way I can describe it is like driving a bobcat or a gocart. I feel like I bounce over every little bump in the road, like a bobcat. I tried to get use to it and for a while I mostly did, though it still annoyed me. But I have been driving a Model S for a couple weeks and jumped back into my X. The difference is startling. The S is SOOO smooth and nice. I want to keep my X but if this suspension behavior is normal I think I'm out.

So I'm wondering if this is normal or have others experienced this same thing. I took it to the Service Center and they looked at it. They compared it by driving another X and then driving mine then said it was similar. That was a few months ago. I also swear occasionally it is not as rough, which is likely when they drove it. And now after driving the S then jumping back in the X it's killing me. So much more stiff and harsh in the X.

Is it just me?

As an owner of both a MX and a MS in the same trim, built a month apart, perhaps I can give a direct apples to apples comparison...

I think our MS is a rougher ride than our MX. The wife agrees; but there is a caveat. The rear of the MX is brutal, much more so than the S.

The only time we’ve thought the MX was worse than the MS is when we swapped our 20’s for OEM 22’s w/ Pirellis. They’ve otherwise been fine on the 20s and our current TSS w/ Continental DWS06. On the S, the ride comfort from OEM 19s to 21s didn’t change nearly as much.

Neither has a phenomenally comfortable/smooth ride IMO. I’m curious to see how my new Raven will be in comparison with the new suspension.

I guess its all relevant? I have a Model X for a few weeks now. It was made in July, pretty sure it's not a Raven but it has the comfort/sport mode. In comfort we have no issues with the ride.

That said it replaced a 4x4 Expedition EL, and compared to that we're floating down the road. In my commute there are things I hit with the Bolt EV that felt like my teeth slammed together that the X just rolls over.

Reactions: jboy210
I have a late 2016 Model X 75D (with air suspension as it is the only option) and an April 2017 Model S 60 (with coil). The S is much smoother. I compare the X with my friend's 2017 and newer X, the ride is much better. I believe that there are problems with the 2016 but Tesla won't admit it. My X ride like a Home Depot flat bed shopping cart with no suspension.
I had the same issue with my 2016 MX. It was an extremely unpleasant ride. To the extent that I constanty got headaches and neck pain while and after I was driving it. Anybody sitting in the car noticed it immediately how stiff and uncomfortable it was. I tried to change tires, lower pressure, but nothing really helped.

Now, after a few months of research I found Tesla made a suspension upgrade on October 18, 2016. So I decided to do what they did. Swapped all 4 air springs to newer MX 2.0 versions (front 1027361-25-E and 1027361-00-E replaced to 1027361-00-G, rears to 1027461-00-G, previously were 1027461-00-E), and also replaced front and rear stabilisators (original sway bar on the front was 1027381-99-G, which looks like a stick, new part is 1027381-00-K, much more springy, for the rear it was originally 1027481-00-E but replaced to the revised 1027481-00-H). Now, believe it or not, it drives like a dream!
As always, do it on your own risk. Sway bar replacement part needs the HV battery to be taken down for a brief moment.

Reactions: nuP90D
I had the same issue with my 2016 MX. It was an extremely unpleasant ride. To the extent that I constanty got headaches and neck pain while and after I was driving it. Anybody sitting in the car noticed it immediately how stiff and uncomfortable it was. I tried to change tires, lower pressure, but nothing really helped.

Now, after a few months of research I found Tesla made a suspension upgrade on October 18, 2016. So I decided to do what they did. Swapped all 4 air springs to newer MX 2.0 versions (front 1027361-25-E and 1027361-00-E replaced to 1027361-00-G, rears to 1027461-00-G, previously were 1027461-00-E), and also replaced front and rear stabilisators (original sway bar on the front was 1027381-99-G, which looks like a stick, new part is 1027381-00-K, much more springy, for the rear it was originally 1027481-00-E but replaced to the revised 1027481-00-H). Now, believe it or not, it drives like a dream!
As always, do it on your own risk. Sway bar replacement part needs the HV battery to be taken down for a brief moment.
FWIW, this was a three year old thread. Things have changed quite a bit.