Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X takes a beating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The review compares Model X, a clear SUV, with 2 premium sedans and a merc SUV. Tells us the trim is not good enough at that price tag and that you can feel the road too much - by the way top gear mag says this about the merc "The ride isn’t pillow-soft, so you know there’s a bumpy road beneath".

Then goes on to complain about handling around corners - in an SUV - which the other SUV (the merc) suffers from as well (Duh, its an SUV) - again top gear re merc "But it’s a two-and-a-half tonne car and feels it, especially since the damping – which isn’t adaptive – is soft. Chuck it around bends and it rolls and pitches and generally comes over all calm-down-madam on you."

Complains about autopilot - something not on the other cars, but says regular cruise control works fine.

Praises the supercharger network

And mentions absolutely nothing about the....

Over the air updates
Falcon wing doors
Powered doors and boot
More cargo space than the merc
More range than the merc as standard - which is only ~231 WLTP
Faster charging than the merc
Faster than the merc
Has 50Kw more power than the merc
Actually 50kg lighter than the merc
Can have 7 seats

And finally

Mercedes-Benz has announced that all production of the EQC for 2019 has already been sold.

While you can pick up an X at any time from custom order, stock or second hand.

So yeah, it's not really in the same class

all car reviews are like this really. Just you only notice it when they come to a conclusion you don't like. I first noticed it when we were looking for (really) small second cars - all the reviews are like 'well, its OK, but its a bit small, the boot is rubbish and the engine is weedy', which isn't that helpful, and to be expected when comparing a crop of 1.0 tiny city cars.

It just means you are looking for something different from the reviewer. Accept any genuine input they have, ignore the complaints about 'this car isn't what I expected it to be' when they are throwing an SUV around a race track.

The lack of order-ability comparison in current electric car playoffs does annoy me. Kona vs ID vs M3! Which is best for you! PS I'm going to ignore which you can have delivered before xmas.

Actually I thought it was quite a fair review. It wasn't one of their full, in depth reviews over several pages and no, it didn't mention some key features. It did, though mention the OTA software updates, which it describes as "rather clever".

In a nutshell, the review said that nothing compares to the Model X in terms of performance and range, but that it lags behind in terms of build quality, refinement and comfort. I'd say that's spot on.

But heaven forbid anyone would have the temerity to criticize a Tesla! :p

It's not that...

It was just a really shitty review of a car. People that read SUV reviews are more likely to consider buying one. This review complains about features that are common to all SUVs. I.e. rubbish cornering.

Comparing it to sedans in the same review is just comparing apples to oranges

Just about the only thing the EQC has on the X is the merc interior - if you like that sort of thing. Literally everything else the X does better on statistics alone.

Then there is the score. 3.5 out of 5? They give VW Touareg the same rating, almost every other SUV has 4 stars.

And if you search for model X review on their site you get a completely different one from earlier that gives it 4 starts. So did it get worse in 2019?

They must've been going some to complain about tyres squealing on that car. Its not exactly normal use case for a UK SUV owner is it? My view is that these journalists were already wide of the mark in terms of what car buyers will really value and at this time of change just how far off they are is increasing exponentially. They also don't appear to have thought through the practicalities of living with an EV, let alone kept one for an extended period of normal use. Who needs a local supercharger?

Points about noise though - I do think tesla could and should do better. I think my new MS could isolate you from road and wind noise better, even though reviewers tell us it's better than previous versions with the new damping.

Reactions: PrGrPa
In a nutshell, the review said that nothing compares to the Model X in terms of performance and range, but that it lags behind in terms of build quality, refinement and comfort. I'd say that's spot on.

So they moan the X is noisy, but actually its better than the iPace and not that much less than the eTron?

As for ride quality, what you need to do is blindfold the journalist and put them in the cars back to back I doubt they can tell any difference.

Our minds are prone to bias unconscious or not, its why advertising works, but numbers don't lie - unlike human perception.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Car reviews are rarely worth reading. As @Avendit says, they contain very little useful information. The general car magazine interest in high performance cars isn’t much use to most folks.

I gave up on auto reviews as a source of anything but entertainment many years ago.

Your comments on EV availability are well-made. We would’ve liked to have bought a Kia eNiro. But there aren’t any. It was the same story 2 years ago with a Hyundai EV. 2 years ago we ordered a model S. Pretty pleased things turned out that way as it’s great. Similar story now. Didn’t bother with MB or VWA based on experience. Wanted the eNiro, tested the iPace, SO fell for the model 3. Picking it up next week. Likely to be another good decision.

Last edited:
They must've been going some to complain about tyres squealing on that car. Its not exactly normal use case for a UK SUV owner is it? My view is that these journalists were already wide of the mark in terms of what car buyers will really value and at this time of change just how far off they are is increasing exponentially. They also don't appear to have thought through the practicalities of living with an EV, let alone kept one for an extended period of normal use. Who needs a local supercharger?

Points about noise though - I do think tesla could and should do better. I think my new MS could isolate you from road and wind noise better, even though reviewers tell us it's better than previous versions with the new damping.

good point on the supercharger. I think you’re right that auto writers don’t really ‘get’ how many people use their vehicles anyway. And that follows through many fold when it comes to EVs. Last year I was up and down England every week, using Superchargers on each journey. This year I’ve done a lot less long distance driving and consequently I’ve been to a supercharger a handful of times. On the whole I’ve only plugged the car in at home at most a couple of times a week as there’s enough range for most daily driving from a single charge.