Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are MX's available for test drives ? I cannot see a link on their site to schedule one .

I am 6'3"tall , when sat in the drivers seat I could feel the headliner against the back of my head , I wanted to drive the MX to see if that sensation you get when something is close behind / touching you , would disappear whilst driving the car or not .

I was also concerned that the head room for the middle passenger was a bit lower than the outer 2nd row seats d/t spine for the door . My tallest child is 5'8" , While I believe she would fit now I wonder how much for growing space there is for her .

Apart from the above factors I was very impressed with the MX , but wondering if the S would be a better fit for my family .

There are X's available for test drives. I took one at King of Prussia late last week - and ordered an X a couple days later. (That's an awful lot of money, at least for me - I hope I don't regret it. :) )

Call your local store/gallery and ask if they have one, and if not, when they expect to get one or who nearby might have one.

My experience was that there is a lot more headroom in the X than the S, and that it is a lot easier for tall people to get into/out of (I'm 6'/6'1", but sit taller than average for my height, I think.) I was also surprised by how much easier it is to see where the nose is and what is right in front of you.

Unless you really need the 7th seat for something you expect to do, I'm quite convinced that the X is a better car as a 6 seater anyway - which both avoids the center seat question you were talking about and gives much more room and access in the 3rd row (and improves the driver's rear view.)

When I reserved my 3 on 3/31, the Dallas gallery employee said they wouldn't have an X for test drive "for a while." Might be different for stores in California.

EDIT: He did also say they have "tours" of Xes for test drives that travel across the country to different stores, so you may be able to arrange one then if there is anything close.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies .
Yes get ting into the X is certainly easier than the S . I have three , teen children who like sitting next to each other , they view having to sit in the third row of our Pilot as a punishment .
I wasn't hero enough to try to sit in Third row , probably thinking of the tribulations of getting to it in the Pilot .
I have been to the Dublin , CA store and sat in the X on display , but as they didn't have one on the lot I didn't ask about a test drive , so I will when my daughter gets back for summer break from College .