TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model X: Third Row Rear-Facing Car Seats

Discussion in 'Model X' started by saya, Jul 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. saya

saya New Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rear-facing car seat that will fit in the third row of a 6-seater configuration? We are expecting triplets, so we will need to use both captain chairs as well. I know the Diono RXT fits in the third row, but not sure if that is only when forward-facing. Thanks!

2. outie

outie Active Member

I doubt you can fit any rear facing seats on the 3rd row. The amount of horizontal space (leg room?) required is much greater than forward facing seats which is what the 3rd row lacks. You can only move the 2nd row forward just a little bit before the latch warning comes on.

3. hmcgregoraz

hmcgregoraz Member

Even the Diono RXT probably won't work rear facing. I would look at carriers anyway at this point, you REALLY don't want to have to take three kids in and out of seats for as long as possible. I would suggest going to your local baby store (babies r us, for example), tell them what you need, and that when you find what fits, you will buy three :)

• Like x 1
  4. BluX

BluX Member

Are you looking for an infant or a convertible? We tested the Cybex with 2 convertibles when we were looking to buy our model X. It had a very narrow profile. There is a local baby store near me that will let you borrow car seats to test in cars (they made us give them their credit card while we were borrowing them). I included a picture, but we were looking at the 7 seat model.

I agree with the above. Find a store that carries car seats with a smaller foot print and let them see if they will let you test them in the car.

Tesla3row.jpg

5. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Member

Dang... triplets? Sounds like someone will need to win 3 radio flyers to keep the kids from fighting.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. outie

outie Active Member

I don't think there's any issue finding 3 rear facing car seats that will fit the second row. The challenge is getting one that will fit the 3rd row as OP has 6 seater.

7. saya

saya New Member

Thanks for all the input! After a lot of trial and error, we found that the rear-facing Cybex Aton 2 fits in the 3rd row. The caveat is that it has to be installed without a base (and even then, has almost no clearance). Obviously, this is less than ideal from a convenience perspective, but we were also concerned about the safety profile of this setup. However, we took the car seat to Stanford's Safely Home event and had it installed and cleared by AAA, as well as the CHP and fire department. We went with 2 Chicco Keyfit 30s for the captain seats.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  8. SUMD

SUMD Member

Thanks for posting the follow-up.

9. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Member

Chicco keyfit changed buttershrimp's life for the better... no doubt

10. abcd2

abcd2 New Member

It looks like you ended up with the same result as "thecarseatlady." She has a pretty nice article about the Model X and carseats here: You are being redirected...