TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X three years out

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Bradlmas, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Bradlmas

Bradlmas Member

Hey guys,

I’m looking to purchase a model X soon. I just listened to the last eps conference call and also the Electrek podcast pertaining to the call.

I wanted to put a few questions out there before my purchase.

1) Autopilot 3 seems to be backward compatible with a cpu swap but what about cameras and sensors, will that also need to be swapped?

2) With a likely 2019 interior and 2021 exterior redesign coming I am concerned that if most of the new displays switch to horizontal then the updates will slow down for the older models. Does anyone have any concerns about that? I’m not super concerned with the interior or exterior in terms of my purchase but I am concerned with losing touch with technology beyond the normal upgrade cycle. I happen to be looking at the vehicle at a time when I think some big changes are coming so I wanted to ask.

3) I plan on owning the car for around 5-8 years and I don’t do a ton of driving (6-10 k a year) but I’m now considering a lease because I don’t want to get a purchase locked in at a pretty poor time in the cycle. Thank you guys for any thoughts on the matter.

Feel free to chip in with anything else around this that I haven’t covered.

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Hi welcome ...no one here can answer any of those questions without wild speculation
    ...leases are good but you will find yourself driving car more as these are definitely fun to drive. ...depending on your budget and not sure if looking for new or used ..but if In the preowned market best is look for mid 2017 onwards as those are generally better ..

• Like x 2
  3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. Bradlmas

Bradlmas Member

Thanks I didn’t see that. Very helpful though. I appreciate your comments.

5. pkodali

pkodali Member

You shouldn't have to worry about the autpilot 2.5 vs 3, just because if they can't deliver on autopilot 2.5, they're in for a show. Electrek has a leak of the supposed redesign, which will come Q3 2019 (in theory) Assuming Tesla has to be able to support software through the end of the reqular warranty period, that means that they will at least support it through 2023. However, if you wait, you will lose atleast around 6k in federal rebate credit

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Bradlmas

Bradlmas Member

That’s a pretty good argument.

7. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

I didn't do a lot of driving with my old car but I do almost three times as much with the Tesla! It is so much fun and convenient.

• Like x 1
  8. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

a] cameras and sensors is the same. Tesla self driving system is vision based, so all you need is cameras. Dont worry about this at all, its an afterthought.

b] if you wait for the new interior you will miss the $7500 tax credit and free supercharging. order today (or by september 16) or forever hold your peace

c] dont lease. Everyone who has a tesla ends up putting 10k+ more miles a year than expected. Im at 34k miles on a 15 month old car.

• Like x 1
  9. Bradlmas

Bradlmas Member

Fantastic stuff. Thanks for taking the time to respond to them all.

10. pkodali

pkodali Member

Anytime. If you are thinking of ordering soon and want to run some configurations by us, feel free to keep asking questions

11. Bradlmas

Bradlmas Member

Will do thanks. Im thinking white and white with black 22 inch wheels and six seats.

• Love x 1
  12. pkodali

pkodali Member

Be aware that the 22s do carry a significant range penalty. Also, many people sell 22s on the forums from referrals at a cost cheaper than Teslas (Usually around 3-3.5k). I personally will also be getting a pair of 22s from the Tesla referral program that I plan on selling, so you really are better off ordering with stock wheels and buying the 22s off of here

• Disagree x 1
  13. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

i got a 10k/year lease because that's all i did in my last lexus...but free fuel and fun driving experience had me at 18k in the first 12 months!

• Like x 1
  14. Bradlmas

Bradlmas Member

Thank you that’s great information. I did a lot of research into the 22s and I’m aware of the range penalty which of course I’m not happy about but given that road trips only happen maybe once or twice per year I don’t think it’s going to be a huge issue for me. The logic I’m selling myself is that I’ll stop at the same superchargers no matter if I have 30% or 10% left. I’m not even a car person which makes it sound strange that I would get those but when I’m spending $100,000 in a vehicle it’s really tough to have it looking like a minivan. No judgement on anyone else when I say that either!

• Love x 1
  15. Bradlmas

Bradlmas Member

That seems to be what everybody saying !

16. pkodali

pkodali Member

Totally get it, just wanted to make sure you were aware. The 22s are awesome to look at. I seriously would order with 20s though and just buy 22s online from TMC (Shameless plug: I will probably have my 22s by the time you take delivery and would love to sell them to you if u go that route)

• Funny x 1
  17. Bradlmas

Bradlmas Member

Thanks that’s a great option! The only thing holding me back right now is we’re trying to purchase a home and I have to wait for the car until that happens because where I live currently isn’t going to be a good charging situation.

Can any shop swap the tires or do you need to go to Tesla?

18. pkodali

pkodali Member

Any shop can but I think Tesla does it for free if you have Tesla wheels. If you want to take advantage of the free supercharging (because there seems to be a deadline for it), one option you do have is to 120v charge and top up at a local supercharger if you need to. If I were you, I would wait till the beginning of September to order so that you can push back your delivery date as far as possible. Also, keep in mind that you need to get delivery by the end of December to get the full tax credit

• Like x 1
  19. Bradlmas

Bradlmas Member

Understood, good info.

20. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

As the voice of dissent I will say that since I hate selling cars, I leased my last Tesla 2 years ago.
    Gave it 10,000 miles a year. The lease is up in 3 weeks and I am at 20,300 miles. So at least in 1 case the lease worked pretty well as planned.

• Informative x 2