Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X three years out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I’m looking to purchase a model X soon. I just listened to the last eps conference call and also the Electrek podcast pertaining to the call.

I wanted to put a few questions out there before my purchase.

1) Autopilot 3 seems to be backward compatible with a cpu swap but what about cameras and sensors, will that also need to be swapped?

2) With a likely 2019 interior and 2021 exterior redesign coming I am concerned that if most of the new displays switch to horizontal then the updates will slow down for the older models. Does anyone have any concerns about that? I’m not super concerned with the interior or exterior in terms of my purchase but I am concerned with losing touch with technology beyond the normal upgrade cycle. I happen to be looking at the vehicle at a time when I think some big changes are coming so I wanted to ask.

3) I plan on owning the car for around 5-8 years and I don’t do a ton of driving (6-10 k a year) but I’m now considering a lease because I don’t want to get a purchase locked in at a pretty poor time in the cycle. Thank you guys for any thoughts on the matter.

Feel free to chip in with anything else around this that I haven’t covered.

Hi welcome ...no one here can answer any of those questions without wild speculation
...leases are good but you will find yourself driving car more as these are definitely fun to drive. ...depending on your budget and not sure if looking for new or used ..but if In the preowned market best is look for mid 2017 onwards as those are generally better ..

Reactions: shrfu31 and Ulmo
Thanks I didn’t see that. Very helpful though. I appreciate your comments.
You shouldn't have to worry about the autpilot 2.5 vs 3, just because if they can't deliver on autopilot 2.5, they're in for a show. Electrek has a leak of the supposed redesign, which will come Q3 2019 (in theory) Assuming Tesla has to be able to support software through the end of the reqular warranty period, that means that they will at least support it through 2023. However, if you wait, you will lose atleast around 6k in federal rebate credit

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and P85_DA
Hey guys,

I’m looking to purchase a model X soon. I just listened to the last eps conference call and also the Electrek podcast pertaining to the call.

I wanted to put a few questions out there before my purchase.

1) Autopilot 3 seems to be backward compatible with a cpu swap but what about cameras and sensors, will that also need to be swapped?

2) With a likely 2019 interior and 2021 exterior redesign coming I am concerned that if most of the new displays switch to horizontal then the updates will slow down for the older models. Does anyone have any concerns about that? I’m not super concerned with the interior or exterior in terms of my purchase but I am concerned with losing touch with technology beyond the normal upgrade cycle. I happen to be looking at the vehicle at a time when I think some big changes are coming so I wanted to ask.

3) I plan on owning the car for around 5-8 years and I don’t do a ton of driving (6-10 k a year) but I’m now considering a lease because I don’t want to get a purchase locked in at a pretty poor time in the cycle. Thank you guys for any thoughts on the matter.

Feel free to chip in with anything else around this that I haven’t covered.

a] cameras and sensors is the same. Tesla self driving system is vision based, so all you need is cameras. Dont worry about this at all, its an afterthought.

b] if you wait for the new interior you will miss the $7500 tax credit and free supercharging. order today (or by september 16) or forever hold your peace

c] dont lease. Everyone who has a tesla ends up putting 10k+ more miles a year than expected. Im at 34k miles on a 15 month old car.

Reactions: Ulmo
Will do thanks. Im thinking white and white with black 22 inch wheels and six seats.
Be aware that the 22s do carry a significant range penalty. Also, many people sell 22s on the forums from referrals at a cost cheaper than Teslas (Usually around 3-3.5k). I personally will also be getting a pair of 22s from the Tesla referral program that I plan on selling, so you really are better off ordering with stock wheels and buying the 22s off of here

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Thank you that’s great information. I did a lot of research into the 22s and I’m aware of the range penalty which of course I’m not happy about but given that road trips only happen maybe once or twice per year I don’t think it’s going to be a huge issue for me. The logic I’m selling myself is that I’ll stop at the same superchargers no matter if I have 30% or 10% left. I’m not even a car person which makes it sound strange that I would get those but when I’m spending $100,000 in a vehicle it’s really tough to have it looking like a minivan. No judgement on anyone else when I say that either!

• Love
Reactions: spectrum
Thank you that’s great information. I did a lot of research into the 22s and I’m aware of the range penalty which of course I’m not happy about but given that road trips only happen maybe once or twice per year I don’t think it’s going to be a huge issue for me. The logic I’m selling myself is that I’ll stop at the same superchargers no matter if I have 30% or 10% left. I’m not even a car person which makes it sound strange that I would get those but when I’m spending $100,000 in a vehicle it’s really tough to have it looking like a minivan. No judgement on anyone else when I say that either!
Totally get it, just wanted to make sure you were aware. The 22s are awesome to look at. I seriously would order with 20s though and just buy 22s online from TMC (Shameless plug: I will probably have my 22s by the time you take delivery and would love to sell them to you if u go that route)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks that’s a great option! The only thing holding me back right now is we’re trying to purchase a home and I have to wait for the car until that happens because where I live currently isn’t going to be a good charging situation.

Can any shop swap the tires or do you need to go to Tesla?

Thanks that’s a great option! The only thing holding me back right now is we’re trying to purchase a home and I have to wait for the car until that happens because where I live currently isn’t going to be a good charging situation.

Can any shop swap the tires or do you need to go to Tesla?
Any shop can but I think Tesla does it for free if you have Tesla wheels. If you want to take advantage of the free supercharging (because there seems to be a deadline for it), one option you do have is to 120v charge and top up at a local supercharger if you need to. If I were you, I would wait till the beginning of September to order so that you can push back your delivery date as far as possible. Also, keep in mind that you need to get delivery by the end of December to get the full tax credit

Reactions: Ulmo